DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

Can't read LS PCM with HPT pro!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: 70/70 Turbo 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears
Can't read LS PCM with HPT pro!?

Just hooked up the HPT pro to a new windows 10 laptop and tried to read the stock PCM for a base file. I can't even get it to start reading the PCM.

I haven't touched anything and its a 99 PCM out of a silverado with a 5.3L. The motor is all stock with LS6 valve springs and a torqstorm supercharger. I converted the harness to standalone via the LT1swap website and checked my OB2 pinouts.

OB2 port
Pin 2 = Green serial data
Pin 4 & 5 = Jumpered Grounds
Pin 16 = red battery constant 12v.

I verified that pin 16 has 12v even with the key off so its def getting juice.

PCM Info:
Serv. no. 09354896
HDW No. 16220610

I went to HPT site and downloaded the new 3.0 suite and intalled on my computer, I could not figure out how to install the drivers as nothing pops up like it said in the instructions when I plug the module in. I checked and the computer said all drivers working correctly (A and B). I then went out to the car and haven't registered or used any credits. I type in my application key and got it to read that correctly. I plug the OB2 port in and open VCM editor and click "read vehicle" and it pauses for a set then says "unable to detect vehicles diagnostic protocol". WTF!!! Am I missing something? I want to read the stock PCM so I can register the PCM and then use a custom 2 bar OP system. I then for ***** and giggles tried to run the VCM scanner and it worked. When I say worked I mean it scanned and went through all the stuff as I could see it flipping through all the sensors etc. I didn't get any values but I expected that since the engine was not running. I don't want to start it since Ive deleted the MAF and Ive swapped to 60lb injectors and have the supercharger. I want to read the stock PCM, save the file, register and unlock a 2bar OP system. Then go through the Tune and set it up and then write the new tune to the PCM.

What am I doing wrong?!? the HPT module blinks "busy" when I click the read button.