DIY PROM Do It Yourself PROM chip burning help. No PROM begging. No PROMs for sale. No commercial exchange. Not a referral service.

BLM main, vs BLM fine in SAUJP v5

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: BMW 735
Engine: 383 W/ SUPERAM
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.64
BLM main, vs BLM fine in SAUJP v5

Can anyone tell me the difference between these values? BLM main says it's pig rich (100-110), wideband shows 14-15, BLM fine and INT run 127-130.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Monte SS (730,$8D,G3,AP,4K,S_V4)
Engine: 406 Hyd Roller 236/242
Transmission: 700R4 HomeBrew, 2.4K stall
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi, 7.5 Soon to break
Re: BLM main, vs BLM fine in SAUJP v5

It not from S_AUJP V5 but is part of the standard $8D data.
It is a sub part of the BLM main.
Fine is just an indicator of change needed, similar to the Integrator response.
There is a setup on one of my dashboards that shows all of the BLM gauges referencing each other so you can see the reaction of them all at once. (JP Experiment 2) is the dash name.

Remember the BLM reacts to where the O2 thresholds are setup to follow, not what the wideband is reading.
If WB is correct, adjust the O2 tables to obtain following at desired values to maintain your WB reading.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the help on this. Would I be correct in thinking that the BLM main is a time based average of BLM fine? The fine seems to have a much greater refresh rate. I don't understand what you said about the O2 tables and WB readings. I'm hesitant to do anything like that, as my WB and NB are not on the same bank. It takes many sample counts,( at least a running sample count of 1000 or greater) but the BLM main and WB do agree after a while. Again, thanks for your help and wisdom.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Car: 84 El Camino
Engine: 360 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.42 + Truetrac, Moser 28 Spline

Originally Posted by htrdbmr
Thanks for the help on this. Would I be correct in thinking that the BLM main is a time based average of BLM fine? The fine seems to have a much greater refresh rate. I don't understand what you said about the O2 tables and WB readings. I'm hesitant to do anything like that, as my WB and NB are not on the same bank. It takes many sample counts,( at least a running sample count of 1000 or greater) but the BLM main and WB do agree after a while. Again, thanks for your help and wisdom.
Elaborating on what JP86SS said --
The short answer: For VE tuning, use BLM (Main). This is the true BLM. Ignore "Fine" as it's incorrectly described.

The long answer: The correct description for "BLM (Fine)" based on code usage should be: "Rough BPW Correction". The variable reported is L00E8, which in CL is the "INT +/- o2 proportional gain counts from the Calibration Table at 0x4DE" ('+' if FAST o2 voltage is going-Lean; '-' if going-Rich). Immediately after the “Rough” correction, BPW is again corrected, but in the opposite direction by ˝ of the prop gain counts. This is the “Fine” BPW correction which somewhat compensates for the Rough, but is not presently reported because this calculated "Fine correction" is not stored in a variable. Note, corrections are to BPW and not BLM.

Regarding update frequencies: If the INT deviates from 128 by more than 5 counts, the BLM is updated 2 counts, but only once per second. The Rough and Fine BPW corrections occur 80 times a second.

HTH.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 84Elky
Elaborating on what JP86SS said --
The short answer: For VE tuning, use BLM (Main). This is the true BLM. Ignore "Fine" as it's incorrectly described.

The long answer: The correct description for "BLM (Fine)" based on code usage should be: "Rough BPW Correction". The variable reported is L00E8, which in CL is the "INT +/- o2 proportional gain counts from the Calibration Table at 0x4DE" ('+' if FAST o2 voltage is going-Lean; '-' if going-Rich). Immediately after the “Rough” correction, BPW is again corrected, but in the opposite direction by ˝ of the prop gain counts. This is the “Fine” BPW correction which somewhat compensates for the Rough, but is not presently reported because this calculated "Fine correction" is not stored in a variable. Note, corrections are to BPW and not BLM.

Regarding update frequencies: If the INT deviates from 128 by more than 5 counts, the BLM is updated 2 counts, but only once per second. The Rough and Fine BPW corrections occur 80 times a second.

HTH.
Thank you, that clears up a few things for me.