Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

How to remove instrument panel cluster???

Old 12-11-2000, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to remove instrument panel cluster???

I'm trying to remove my speedometer to see why it's making grinding noises but can't get the main cluster body out. I've removed the bezel/lens but can't see what's holding the cluster housing inside the dash. There don't appear to be any screws but there are two rectangular-shaped extrusions below and behind both the tach and speedo, at the back of the cluster body. There are brown plastic "clips" protruding from either side of these extrusions, and I'm assuming these are what holds the cluster body in place?? I'm reluctant to pry these apart because I'm not sure what they're for and don't want to break them.

Thanks in advance for your quick replies!

'87 Camaro RS
Old 12-11-2000, 06:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
The speedometer cable needs to be released in order to remove the cluster. Press on the small tab next to where the cable connects to the cluster, on the back side of the cluster.

Tim
Old 12-11-2000, 07:44 PM

Tim,

How do I get to the cable? Do I need to remove the dash pad to get to it? What I mean is, how do I get the white plastic cluster "housing" (the box that all the gauges sit inside) out of the dash?

Pardon my ignorance; the Helm manual I have says to remove "six screws" to remove this housing. The only screws I've seen are the ones that attach the bezel, lens and individual gauges to the housing. The tach, voltmeter, fuel gauge, oil pressure and water temp gauges seem to come out easy enough but the speedometer doesn't. I need to remove this housing (I'm assuming) to get to the speedo cable?

[This message has been edited by AAustin50 (edited December 11, 2000).]
Old 12-13-2000, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Z28; Dk Teal; Her Pkg
Engine: 305
Transmission: Richmond 6 Spd
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", Detroit Locker, 3.70
The entire instrument cluster may be removed from the dash. There are 2 screws at the top of the cluster & two nuts at the bottom of the cluster (in the indicator light pockets) that must be removed, after the bezel plate is removed (8 screws on the bezel). The speedo cable retainer is in a tight area, but it may be accessed from under the dash if the plastic trim panels are removed.

Tim
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 PM

Car: 89 camaro
Engine: 68-454,87-nothing yet,88gta-305 tpi
Transmission: stock 700r4
Axle/Gears: borg warner 9-bolt/3:27 gears
Re: How to remove instrument panel cluster???

i cant get mine out in my 89 camaro rs i have tried every it says here but still no luck. also my tach is going crazy when the car is running it jumps up and down and says the car is at 5-7000 rpms then will drop to a lower number what is causeing it to do this? how do i fix it. the car was org a v6 car but is now carb350
Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

Originally Posted by jugheads88gta
i cant get mine out in my 89 camaro rs i have tried every it says here but still no luck. also my tach is going crazy when the car is running it jumps up and down and says the car is at 5-7000 rpms then will drop to a lower number what is causeing it to do this? how do i fix it. the car was org a v6 car but is now carb350
The first post in following link may provide more info on removal:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/faq-...-fix-pics.html

If the tach wasn't swapped to a V8 version, you have your problem.

JamesC
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM

Hey bro i had to ask for the same advice and had this last post sent to me as well, you should get it as long as you follow what is shown. Its was a two second kinda flick and it came off.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro IROC
Engine: 5.0 V8 TPI
Transmission: manuel

Hi,

I have an '86 Iroc and I am trying to remove the instrament panel but the left side, the speedo side, seems to be "stuck" as if I missed a screw or clip.

**I replaced a turn signal bulb and ever since that my radio stopped working so I think I pulled a wire, or connector out and am trying to fix it.**

I have read the above posts and followed the links with no success. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:15 AM

Car: Custom 1992 Camaro Z28 25th Anniver
Engine: 5.7L V8 350 L98 TPI

I was SHOCKED how the Chilton, Hayes, and eve ShopKey5 all are very inaccurate in how to go about removing the instrument panel.

All indicate to first disable the battery which is correct.. (referring to 90-92 Camaro) But most just say to remove the trim plate and undo screws.. They don't even mention that you have to remove the headlight switch (rod and button).. If you were to just do what these instructions say you would break off your headlight switch button.

They also seem to indicate that you have to remove the kick plate.. Actually you just have to remove the 2 screws on the front and loosen the rear and gentle allow it to hang.

I was SHOCKED how the ShopKey5 says that once you pull the instrument panel out of the plugs in the back (4 pins per side in a square) that it says to remove the lens and housing from the cluster and then you can remove the cluster. That is not only STUPID and a waste of time, but also very dangerous in terms of putting HIGH RISK of damaging your cluster.. It's hard enough to hold it there without it breaking off parts or scratching pieces.. Imagine removing all these screws and then trying to worry about the needles!!

I found that if you tilt the tilting steering wheel down there is about 1" more play you need to remove the cluster from the car.. So to get the extra space you need, I was able to PUSH down on the steering wheel. It will push down an extra inch or so, then the instrument panel will wiggle passed it CAREFULLY.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Burgess
The entire instrument cluster may be removed from the dash. There are 2 screws at the top of the cluster & two nuts at the bottom of the cluster (in the indicator light pockets) that must be removed, after the bezel plate is removed (8 screws on the bezel). The speedo cable retainer is in a tight area, but it may be accessed from under the dash if the plastic trim panels are removed.

Tim
I am struggling to get to the speedo cable release. I haven't removed the dash pad yet, can you get access from above if the pad is removed?
I tried the recommendation to get it from below but couldn't get my hand up there. I even removed the fuse panel below to make more room but still couldn't get through the wires to get up to the speedo release.
All this effort to remove the cluster so I can replace a headlight switch...I am tempted to just run my own toggle switch and wires...
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM

To answer my own question from above, removing the dash pad and left front speaker does not provide access from above, just in case anyone else is wondering.

Here is a quote from another thread on this matter:
"Just pulled one from an 86 IROC last night. Drop the steering column, take the frame clip that hold the speedometer cable under the hood down by the exaust manifold off. Then you can push extra cable through the firewall so that you can easily reach the clip on the back of the speedometer." --davemel3ncz

That little extra you can get from under the hood was just what I needed to get the cluster out far enough to squeeze a couple fingers back there and release the speedo cable.
Thanks TGO for putting the info out there!
Jim
Old 01-16-2017, 04:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L V8

Old 10-28-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can access the speedo cable very easily from the top, just pull the dash pad and left speaker and the clip for the cable is right there
Old 10-29-2017, 09:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

You can make the whole process a hell of a lot easier, if first you go underneath the car and loosen a clamp on the speedometer cable from the K frame. Then you can loosen the two nuts on the steering column and drop the steering column down on the seat. This allows you to pull the cluster towards you so you can release the cable. While apart, clean up all grounds on the cluster and under the dash. Information for an old post. I try to get the word out there when ever I can.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I loosen the dash pad along the front of the dash, which give me more than enough flex to get the cluster out. Doesn't need much.

As for the speedo cable, use a long screwdriver. I normally put a small LED light in my mouth, a screwdriver in one hand to depress the retaining tab (but not to actually remove the cable) then use my free hand to pull the cluster free. So you're not really moving the cable away from the cluster as much as pulling the cluster away from the cable.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it both ways and personally still would go with through the top. Getting the cluster out is one thing but lining up the speedo cable and putting it back in without being able to hold the cable in place is another. It can be a bit of a pain to get it to clip back together and you certainly don't want to have to do the job twice right?