Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

ALT problems related to hitting bumps??

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALT problems related to hitting bumps??

Great site first of all....I have some alt problems or wiring (most likely). Well let me start off its a 89 iroc with the 5.7 L98, Had it in storage a while, only have 51,000 mile on it, and started mods on it a month ago.
hypertechchip
superflow cat
flowermaster exaust
K&M filters
Derale adjusable thermo switch
Manual switch for secondary fan
AUDIO ..Pioneer xm radio
fosgate amp
kenwood subs
SO here is the prob in a nutshell.. when I had the derale switch put in I got into some over heating problems....well a water pump a radiator, 160 thermo. derale switch removed. fan relay switch replaced and two alternaters later it runs cool but now I still have my voltage problem it will be fine for days but every so often if I hit a hard bump I will lose the charge from the alt for a while. checked for a ground problem but can't find it any ideas????
Thanks fellow 3rd generation addicts....DENNIS
Old 07-10-2002, 11:24 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Man.. I wish my camaro sounded so nice in a description like that lol.

How do you mean loses (that doesn't look like it spelled right.. oh well) voltage ? As in a drop on the gauge ? car dies?

Have you verified it's dropping voltage using something that actually accurate ? (don't put alot of faith in the cluster gauge unless it's not OEM). It could be something as simple as a bad contact from the harness to the cluster itself since basically everything else is new from the looks of it.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I meant to say the voltage guage will drop to around 8 or so.
when I had the derale switch in it. it kept the fans on for about five to ten minutes to cool things down and would kill the battery. so I am pretty sure the guage is working properly. I forgot to mention my new battery also I bought. no car doesn't die out{knock on wood}
thanks for the reply dead bird.
Old 07-10-2002, 11:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23
Not a prob bud.. we're all here to help each other out if we can.
I'm ending my limits for the night for grey matter operation () but, and this is only my thoughts, if everything was basically new and well connected (are you sure the chassis ground is solid as well ... block to body or, battery to body?) and it was draining power hard when (from the sounds of things) the fan(s) kicked on, that the fan(s) are in good working order?