Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Electronics
Register Forgot Password?

Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 01-03-2004, 01:44 AM   #1

Car: 1988 Trans am GTA
Engine: corvette 350 swap
Transmission: t-5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 borg warner 9-bolt w/ PBRs

Classifieds Rating: (2)

digital dash repair

does anyone know of a place that repairs digital dashes preferably in the NJ area. after 15 years of daily use, i can barely see how many miles i have on the car.

-GTAman

P.S. have any of you had trouble with your digital dashes too? if so, give me some feedback. thanks.

"Treasure the Timeless Classics!" - Dennis Gage
GTAman is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #2

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 5.7 L98
Transmission: 700R4

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Man C
GTAman---Sounds like you the typical lights out problem.I would take the digital dash cluster out and check all the bulbs first of all.Appears that you have a bulb or some bulbs that have burned out on you.While you have the digital dash cluster out. Also look closely at the wiring grid on the back to make sure you do not have any broken wires.Normally it is just a bulb but it you have broken lines in the segments on the display it is easier and cheaper to replace the digital display cluster.here are a few links to help you with you search!
www.tacreationsusa.com
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=46119

These are my 2 street sweepers
http://members.sounddomain.com/seelo
http://members.sounddomain.com/sirpayda

Hope that this helps you with your problem.

1989 Trans Am GTA,350TPI,5.7L,L98,700R4,Gunmetal Grey Exterior,Grey Leather Interior,Digital Dash,Ttops w/sunshades,PW,PL,CC,1992 GTA Taillights Installed,Tinted Windows,Engine All Stock No Mods!

Last edited by Dark Man C; 01-03-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Dark Man C is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:02 PM   #3

hmm, i don't think i described my problem properly, or maybe i did anyways, what i meant to say is it has to to with the screen that displays the odometer, trip odo, etc...the problem is is that the numerical digits don't show up clear, but the screen is illuminated. i think that screen is LCD, like a digital watch. the digits sometimes show up garbled, like some parts of the number won't appear. (ex. the number 5 will be missing the top part or another part of the lines that make up the number) i think it's the LCD, the screens get pretty hot. anyways, what do you think?
Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #4

Car: 1989 TransAm GTA
Engine: One sweet modified 355 TPI.
Transmission: The kind that shifts....

Send a message via AIM to FruityOne
If one part of the LCD screen is bad the ENTIRE screen must be replaced. Now, the good news is that LCD technology has become much cheaper over the years. Bad news is if you DO have to replace it, I don't think you'll find one that will fit without a few modifications.

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery
FruityOne is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:48 AM   #5

Car: 88 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4

Send a message via AIM to 4mul8r
I have the same problem with my dash. Sometimes I will have to push the buttons repeadedly to display the numbers correctly if at all. It seems to work better when it's cold out though. My dash has about 240 some thousand miles on it....so I've been thinking of pulling one out of a lower mileaged car. But I kinda like having it display my mileage because people are like WTF? Someone told me they had their dig. dash rebuilt. I'm trying to get more info from him about it.
4mul8r is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #6

dude, if you could find some more info about a digital dash rebuild that'd be most awesome!
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #7

Car: GTA
Engine: L98

I got this link from corvetteforum a while back for shops that fix their digital dashes. Not sure if they repair ours but its worth a shot.

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/repairsources.shtml

88 GTA L98, SSM frame connectors, Spohn adj. combo LCA/Panhard rod, Hotchkis STB, TransGo shiftkit, GW wonderbar, Hooker catback, 3" Catco, GTAutoAccessories Fiberglass Aerowing, Koni Reds, All free mods.

Best E.T. 14.6 @ 93.5 mph
(w/ a 60ft. 2.27)
Chet is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:14 AM   #8

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 5.7 L98

Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Man C
Try this company also

www.mrwhizard.com

1989 Trans Am GTA,350TPI,5.7L,L98,700R4,Gunmetal Grey Exterior,Grey Leather Interior,Digital Dash,Ttops w/sunshades,PW,PL,CC,1992 GTA Taillights Installed,Tinted Windows,Engine All Stock No Mods!
Dark Man C is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:14 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Electronics

Tags
1988, 88, atlanta, cluster, corvette, dash, digital, ga, gta, instrument, odometer, rebuild, repair, screen, trans