Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

i think i melted a wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro
i think i melted a wire

ok so i went to go start the car this morning and it cranks for a second then stops everything and i hear a sizzling going on, i turn the key off and try and my electric fan will turn on but the car won;t start. would that mean my ingnition wire just melted or what ?
Old 06-29-2004, 10:41 AM

Car: 94 Corvette
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: Freakin Automatic---For Now
I had a simailar problem on my car, only mine went while I was driving to work. Get under your car and look at the wires to the starter. The rubber boot that isolates the positive cable connection from shorting out disintegrated on my car causing a helluva short in the system. It didn't totally destroy the cable, but it did melt one of the other wires down there into two pieces. I ened up replacing the cable from the battery to the starter (and changed the routing to better suit my needs)as well as repairing the other wires that melted down and haven't had any problems since.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:43 AM

Car: '89 Camaro RS
Engine: LB8 V6 MFI
Transmission: T-5 5-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
I think you may have a bad battery cable Ground (-) wire/negative connection.
Take both battery side terminals loose and wire brush/sandpaper them to shiny metal... do the same on the battery posts/terminals.
Then, find where the end of your negative (-) cable is grounded... probably to the alternator bracket... and do the same, wire brush/sandpaper both the end of the battery cable and the mounting surface of the alternator bracket to shiny metal on shiny metal.
Most of the time, a no start/'click-click-click' issue is battery cable related.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:46 AM

GTA-SPD I CAN SEE HOW THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM BUT WHY WOULD THERE BE SMOKE COMING IN THE CAR LIEK FROM UNDER THE DASH
Old 06-29-2004, 11:08 AM

The car gets it's power from the wires at the starter. If that power lead is closed to a ground, it's a big assed short. Any wire that has no fuse in it (or until the fuse pops) is going to get hot and begin to melt. I'd say that is most likely what is happening. The ground wire theory is a sound one, but typically you don't get smoke from a bad ground, unless it's gronding to a power source. Have you made any changes (even a tune up or oil change) to the car recently? That is always the best place to start looking for the problem. If you accidently pinched a wire somewhere, it would have taken it a little while to wear through the insulation and cause the problem. If you haven't done anything lately, start where the smoke is, and back track until you locate the problem. Don't just fix the wires and call it good. Figure out where the problem started and why. If you don't, you'll be right back here in a couple months. My problems all stemmed from a bad aftermarket starter to replace the big heat fried stocker. Don't rule out a new part that you just put in, they have been known to be lemons. Good luck, electrical demons are the most frustrating ones to get squared away, as well as the most expensive usually.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:27 AM

well i figured out what it was. the fusible link thats supposed be in the igniton wire wasn;t there from the person before me it looks all jimmy rigged so the wire in place melted and burnt therefore causing the smoke. so i am getting a new fusible link tp put in therer and replace it
Old 06-30-2004, 11:41 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I just don't understand whay people cut corners when fixing their cars. Then, they bitch and whine when it acts up. If they'd spend a little more to fix it right when it breaks, they'd have way fewer problems in the long run. Funny what a little hind sight will do for you, huh?