Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Dash lights goin on and off need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed
Dash lights goin on and off need help asap

My dash lights are goin on and off when I try to start up the car they will blink on and off and half the time the car wont start...... and it will not run for very long for me..... when i turn the key off some of the dash lights will stay I have to turn the key on and off about 10 times b4 they will go off... im not sure why tho...... it has me stumped im thinking a ground wire but I do not know where to start
Thanks for the help
Jason Fitz
Old 03-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Check your hot wire leading down to the starter from the key. The "blinking" lights indicates to me that your dash wireing is getting power even when the key is "off". Check to see if your dash harness is grounding to a hot power lead somewhere. Another option could be your ignition switch is going bad.

What gets me is that you say when your car starts, the lights blink and it runs like crap then shuts down...

Check your interior stuff first. One problem at a time (though they may be linked).

My first inclination is that you have a bad ground in your dash harness that dropping the voltage from the battery/alternator which is causing your car do die. Pull your fuses one at a time, starting with the ones that control interior lighting. After each pull, try and start the car. You should only need the "main fuse" for the starter relay in the car for it to start and run. The rest are for the accessories. That should help you narrow it down. Sorry but that's the best I can do witout throwing my multi-meter on it myself. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM

fuel pump

I just noticed somthing elese when i turn my key on the fuel pump is not coming on i think this could be my problem im not sure if it has died or somthing is messed up anyone got any ideas what it could be??
Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Supreme Member

Your fuel pump won't cause the electrical problems you are experiencing in the dash. As far as I know, the 91's used an electric fuel pump...could still be mechanical though, my grandparents have a 91 Lincoln Continental that has a mechanical pump...

Anyway, if your fuel pump isn't coming on, that could be why your "engine" is running like crap. It's not getting enough fuel. I personally don't know much about how the electric pumps work...I would assume they are all or nothing but I would ask some one else here with more knowlege on the subject to chime in. My 84 has a mechanical pump that I just replaced. Took about 45 min start to finish.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:47 AM

Re: Dash lights goin on and off need help asap

Ok i just came in from out at the car found somthing werid i was tighting up my positive and my wrench slipped and hit metal but it never cause a spark so i took off the positive battery wire and left the negitive on , so i took a wire and touched it on the positive post and was touching bare metal with it witch should cause a spark but there was no spart what so ever ....... but when i was touching it there was a clicking noice from one of my relays what could be goin on with my car it dont seem to have no ground what so ever
Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Supreme Member

Don't know for sure there. Could be your battery is weak. Normally if you have a weak battery and you try and crank it you'll get the clicking...or if it's drained. Maybe your system is shorted to ground (Very good posibility) and is draining your battery. The only way to know is to take your dash out or some how inspect all your wiring to make sure it's going where it's supposed to without being pinched or grounded somewhere it's not supposed to be.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Ok I figured somthing out and it seems to work perfectly fine i just took a wire from my negitive post and put it right to bare metal on the car and the car seems to be working perfectly fine now....