Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

how to disable VATS???

Old 09-19-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 5.0L....for now.
Transmission: Auto.....for now....
Axle/Gears: Yep, they're in there.......
Re: how to disable VATS???

Originally Posted by BigMyke
Mehanso, can you check if the relay is behind a shield near your starter/solenoid under your car?

I will check first thing in the morning.

Thank you/
Old 09-20-2011, 08:07 PM

Ok, so I dropped the starter out today and there is no sign of it.....The only connector I have under the kick panel has I believe 6 wires in it. If anyone has any guesses I'm all ears...

The car was having an intermittent no start when it was hot and one day (a year ago) it was turned off and hasn't been started since. I assume the INFL REST light that flashes and then goes out is normal? Other than that there are zero lights or indicators that there is anything wrong at all.

I had installed a button that activated the starter directly and it will crank but noyhing else unless you squirt starter fluid in it and it will run until the starter fluid is gone....lol
Old 09-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Car: 1989 GTA 8,000 original miles
Engine: V8 350

Originally Posted by mehanso
Ok, so I dropped the starter out today and there is no sign of it.....The only connector I have under the kick panel has I believe 6 wires in it. If anyone has any guesses I'm all ears...

The car was having an intermittent no start when it was hot and one day (a year ago) it was turned off and hasn't been started since. I assume the INFL REST light that flashes and then goes out is normal? Other than that there are zero lights or indicators that there is anything wrong at all.

I had installed a button that activated the starter directly and it will crank but noyhing else unless you squirt starter fluid in it and it will run until the starter fluid is gone....lol

Look for this relay. Ignore that someone in this picture had modified the wiring.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Good evening BigMyke,

I have been all over the interior and I haven't seen anything that even vaguely resembles that.....I will take some pics tomorrow when I get back to the car and maybe someone can see what I can't......

Thanks....
Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 PM

Just found this in another post so I thought I'd share.....

Mystery finally solved... Went to a local Chevy dealer and they didn't have a clue, but, they did have an old 92 shop manual.... We found the component location, although not exactly clear, it did lead me to the start enable relay... There is no way it can be located behind the kick panel on this car (factory harness)... Instead there are two identical connectors right behind the fuse box... The key to finding it was the location drawing... The fog light relay is a short harness with connector for the relay and comes out of the harness bundle running to the Test Connector... The start enable relay comes from the main wire harness bundle and sits above the fuse box tucked away above the main harness... I found it after searching blindly with my hand... It also is a short harness about 4 inches long ending in a connector that is the relay socket just like the fog light relay... On my harness, the start enable relay connector (socket) is marked PED 11 and the fog light relay connector (socket) is marked PED 15... The start enable relay is a cube with about 1 inch sides... Mine had tape around it and the socket to keep it from accidentally coming loose....
Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 PM

This is just sort of an FYI. On my 89 IROC I had a heck of a time locating the starter enable relay. It was absolutely behind the left kick panel.....but buried under a mass of some sort of black putty. Pulled out all of the black putty and there it was.....
Old 09-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Yeah, I figured that might be the case so the little OCD voice in my head completely cleaned out everything that of any shade of black be it a putty or what I assumed was a sound deadening material just to be sure I didn't miss it.

I appreciate your FYI however and they are welcome anytime.....Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 PM

Car: 92 25th anniversary edition
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73's

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
Travis is right.
That relay is called the Starter Enable Relay and is controlled by the Pass-Key decoder module, it does not control the ECM or anything. If you only had a problem with this relay and not the whole Anti-Theft system, then taping this relay closed helped solve your issue. But it wouldn't work for any general VATS problem, specifically missing keys, bad ignition cylinder key contacts, broken key wires or bad Pass-Key decoder module. Your fix only addresses a bad SER, no other VATS issues.

Hope this clears it up.
Lou

Originally Posted by travis401
Ive lost count at the number of threads were Ive explained the VATS system, but here it is again...

The VATS system works like this. There is a VATS module that is programmed to activate when it reads a correct resistance load on the circuit. This resistance load is created by the chip in your key. When you put the key in the ignition, each side of the "chip" in it makes contact with electrical contacts in the ignition cylinder. THis completes an electrical circuit and current flows though the "chip," and arrives at the VATS module with whatever amount of resistance the key gave it (with a little more from the actual wiring). If the VATS module doesnt interpret this as a correct value, it does nothing. If it does interpret the resistance value being correct and within the tolerance range, it activates. When it activates, it does 2 things. It grounds the start enable relay under the driver side kick panel, allowing current to pass to the starter and spin the motor. It also sends a signal to the ECM that tells the ECM the correct key is inserted and its ok for the injectors to fire. Without BOTH of those happening, your car doesn't run.

The person who just taped the relay together, you most likely have a faulty start enable relay, or your VATS module is malfunctioning or has already been bypassed.
The easiest way to bypass the start enable relay is to ground it permanently and leave it in place. Or you can rewire the starter solenoid wire to not include that relay if the relay is bad or you just want to get rid of it.
thanks for all the info guys, looking at at the schematic and reviewing how the system works can you just take the dark green wire from the relay to the pass key decoder module and simply ground it? would that bypass the system and allow the car to start? I'm worried that the day will come when my wife calls me and says the camaro won't start and leaves her stranded.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:41 PM

Car: 92 CAMARO RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

There is several other things you have to in order to bypass "the system" if you are referring to VATS.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM

I have gotten as far as bypassing the starter relay by splicing the green and yellow together followed by splicing the two smaller wires together. (Don't know if this is correct, have heard of some folks grounding one of these two wires to chassis).
I tried the resistor in place @ the orange wires to white wires connection scenerio to no avail. Also a bypass module to pin B6 of the ECM . (BLUE WIRE) to no avail. I have crank via bypass of starter relay. Fuel pump prime is good but no injector pulse via NOID light. Any help on this subject would prob. benefit two camaro enthusiasts here. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: empty bay (for now)
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 stock posi disc

the start enable relay can be bypassed by grounding the relays dk green wire. however it doesnt do anything for the rest of the VATS system. if you combine the relay wire grounding and a VATS delete tune, you wont have to worry about VATS ever again. you can also get away with the relay wire grounding and the resistor trick. but if the VATS module itself goes out, the resistor trick wont do diddly...
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM

You ever hear of the VATS modules being intermittent in their operation. I finally got injector pulse "WOOHOO" I grounded the black/yellow wire to starter enable relay along with butt-splicing the 10 awg yellow and green. Removed VATS bypass module. Installed resistors between two wires under driverside dash. Turned on ignition security light came on followed by turning off. Turned over ignition and wala NOID light to injector eluminated. This time with no security light after ignition attempt. Reconnected injector connector turned it over again and wala sputter sputter sputter, die. Reattempt sputter, sputter, sputter backfire, die. Must have a timing issue as all is well with wiring and distributer as far as i can tell. I did remove and reinstall the distributer for a valve job due to excessive oil consumtion. I thought i installed it fairly straight but you know one tooth off and your screwed. Any ideas while i was at it i think i might get rid of the stock distributer for more of a performance type.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Supreme Member

sometimes the VATS module will act up before it finally dies. its more common for the contacts in the column to wear out though. the resistor trick removes the column from the VATS equation so that could explain why its working now. it also renders the VATS system usless as theft protection unless you make the resistors removable.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc / 3:27

make sure you have the est wire unplugged when setting timing... you should be 6 degrees before tdc if i remember correctly... Also you could have the dizzy stabbed 180 off.. restab it again ... Took me like 10 times to finally set it right and i still think im a little off. Make sure you use a long flat head screw driver to adjust the oil primer connection...
Old 05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt disc / 3:27

i made my resistor removable because its the best kill switch on the planet... plus it gives me a discount on car insurance because it is considered a kill switch...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info fellas. This website is badass alot of these tricks are hard to find out anywhere else. Why is it imperitative to have EST disconnected just wonderin. I'll hit you up when I get the timing right and let you know the progress.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member

with the est plugged in, the computer will keep adjusting the timing curve making it impossible to set it right.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 L V6
Transmission: Automatic

I am planning on bypassing VATS but I don't know what wattage to get. Can anyone help?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM

First of all Bra ya might wanna look a little further inta the fundamentals that are involved with the VATS system. I believe you might be referring to Resistance instead of Watts. Ohms theory may be able to school ya up a little on that end. But there are several different companies that sell bypass modules. There are only 2 ways of going about this, 1 being poking around with different resistance in order to find the correct resistance for your vehicle, the 2nd being purchasing a bypass module.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Aussie 9-bolt/3.27 posi

No need to try to play with resistors to see which one works. Just use a meter to find out the resistance of your key & buy the correct resistor.

Last edited by BlackenedBird; 03-26-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by TEXAS-MARO
First of all Bra ya might wanna look a little further inta the fundamentals that are involved with the VATS system. I believe you might be referring to Resistance instead of Watts. Ohms theory may be able to school ya up a little on that end. But there are several different companies that sell bypass modules. There are only 2 ways of going about this, 1 being poking around with different resistance in order to find the correct resistance for your vehicle, the 2nd being purchasing a bypass module.
I was referring the wattage because you can have a 3k ohm resistor that is 1/4 watt but a 12 watt 3k ohm resistor is much bigger than the first one, but i figured it out lol
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Xphoidz
I was referring the wattage because you can have a 3k ohm resistor that is 1/4 watt but a 12 watt 3k ohm resistor is much bigger than the first one, but i figured it out lol

1/4 watt or 1/2 watt will work fine. no need for the big wattage resistors.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 PM

I tried this and now my car will not start even when i take the resistor out, Can someone help?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Supreme Member

If you tried the wrong resistor, then the VATS disables the starting even with the correct key for.....iirc.....12 minutes. Did you wait long enough & try the key again? Maybe you used the wrong resistor?

Or if the VATS module itself is dead then the bypass won't work. The resistor bypass trick relies on a functioning module to work.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 AM

It did start after I waited a few minutes but i measured the key and the resistance is in the correct ohms level.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Z/28
Engine: 305
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73's I think

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
No need to try to play with resistors to see which one works. Just use a meter to find out the resistance of your key & buy the correct resistor.
Found the wires/connector I need, thanks BlackenedBird (post 120) - pic is worth a thousand words. Now, i want to keep the VATS functionality but the tumbler in the column is worn. I'm going to wire the resistor to a momentary (kill) switch - does it matter which direction the current is going? I.e. does it matter which white wire i use to be the + side of my switch?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fontaine
Found the wires/connector I need, thanks BlackenedBird (post 120) - pic is worth a thousand words. Now, i want to keep the VATS functionality but the tumbler in the column is worn. I'm going to wire the resistor to a momentary (kill) switch - does it matter which direction the current is going? I.e. does it matter which white wire i use to be the + side of my switch?

Thanks!
My understanding of the circuit is that both of those white wires go to the VATS Module itself which would mean that neither one would go to your momentary switch. Both just connect to the resistor & the wires off the other plug, going to the cylinder, would essentially become un-used at all.

Resistors do have a directional current flow requirement but unfortunately I can't say which is correct & which isn't for this application. Never thought about it before but with both wires being white, I dunno how anyone could identify them individually to say which direction to insert the resistor. Wish I had to a way to know with way to insert it then had a pic to share.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '91 Z28 convertible
Engine: TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 posi disc

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Fontaine
does it matter which direction the current is going? I.e. does it matter which white wire i use to be the + side of my switch?
Nope, it does not matter. Resistors are bi-directional (or non-directional). Diodes (and other semiconductors) are directional and electrolytic capacitors but resistors aren't picky about the current flow. They are just a load in the path of the current. You're good to go.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
Nope, it does not matter. Resistors are bi-directional (or non-directional). Diodes (and other semiconductors) are directional and electrolytic capacitors but resistors aren't picky about the current flow. They are just a load in the path of the current. You're good to go.
DOH! Diodes is what I was thinking of when I mentioned the directional part.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TBI
Transmission: Automatic Overdrive

Originally Posted by stealth908
The best option is to buy or burn a PROM with it disabled. You can buy a VATS bypass module from Baker Electronix (or make your own) but the one I bought from Baker didn't work. Once I got a PROM without VATS (from an 87 car) it fired right up!

Save yourself the hastle and have someone disable it in your PROM for you.

I realize that I am resurrecting an old thread, but new to the Camaro community. I bought a 92 RS 5.0 TBI on Thursday, and here we are on Monday and it stranded me. So, I am wondering how to go about getting the appropriate PROM, or having it disabled in the current one?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 657 Likes on 467 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by 92Panther28649
I realize that I am resurrecting an old thread, but new to the Camaro community. I bought a 92 RS 5.0 TBI on Thursday, and here we are on Monday and it stranded me. So, I am wondering how to go about getting the appropriate PROM, or having it disabled in the current one?
Seek out the member here named "Tuned Performance" , he is trustworthy and will set you up with a proper chip . Also , Beware ! There is at least one other person here who advertises custom chip burning but too many folks have stories of being burned , so Tuned Performance (his name is Brian) is really who you want to go to
Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L TBI
Transmission: Automatic Overdrive

Thank you