Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

no dash lights- any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 firebird, 03 Avalanche z71
Engine: 5.0 stock (for now)
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: stock 2.73 for now
no dash lights- any ideas?

ok this is one of my smaller issues on the car I want to work on, but after checking many many threads cant seem to find anyone who has had my specific problem, and needing some input on this. starters its an 89 bird. Ok all my fuses are fine, checked them all, all the lights on the car work great and I recently replaced all the bulbs anyways just because many were burnt out (it was kinda a beater car) i replaced the cluster because the clear plastic was busted out by the fuel guage, and the lights didnt work before, but I checked the old bulbs and the new ones just in case since it wa all out of the car anyways. So basically just no dash lights, regular interior light all work fine as well. Possibly just a bad dimmer switch do ya think, it really doesnt feel like there much resistance when turning the wheel. Also I think the headlight is bad too because just recently i started having troubles with the headlights going down, then by carefully toggling the switch the lights would start to go down then stop, then do it a couple more times then theyd go down. now they just dont go down, but when i look at it the next day they are down. So Im kinda thinking that they both could just be shot, But what do you guys think? Anything I should check out before replacing the switches?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Dash 4 Cash

About the dash lights.

If the problem includes the radio and HVAC lights check the dash dimmer on the headlight switch for voltage in.

If it has input but no output the dimmer is bad.

If the radio and HVAC lights work, the problem is the wiring going to the dash or a cracked trace.

Happy Racing!

Round Out Your Life, Drive Oval Tracks

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 firebird, 03 Avalanche z71
Engine: 5.0 stock (for now)
Transmission: 700R4 auto
Axle/Gears: stock 2.73 for now
Re: Dash 4 Cash

thanx, the nvac lights dont work either, thanx for the idea on what to check first