Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Odd Turn Signal Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Odd Turn Signal Problems?

Today my right turn signal stopped working completely. About a week ago, the turn signal would flash like it would normally, but then after 3 or 4 flashes it would stop by itself. If I hit the turn signal lever down and back up, it would start to flash another 3 or 4 times before dying again. Also, a few days ago the indicator on the dash started to fade out. Today, the right signal won't work at all.

Basically, everything on the left turn signal works. The right turn signal does nothing when the lever is up, except for the rear lights come on and stay on, they dont flash. No indicator light comes up on the dash, and there is no ticking noise from the flasher. Also, neither the front nor back right turn signal lights work with the parking lights or hazards. Only the left side comes on for both of these. I already switched out all the bulbs, and switched the hazard and turn signal flashers just to see if it did anything. The only change was that with a different flasher, I could hear the ticking noise when the turn signal lever was up.

Also, the fog lights stopped working about a month ago. The fog light button on the dash is dimly lit all the time, even if the button is on or off. I don't know if that could be tied into the problem?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
Odd Problem, Even Now

With the key in RUN, turn signal stalk in the right turn position, use a test light to probe the dark blue wire out of the turn signal switch.

Is there power there?

If not, replace the switch.

If there is power there, make sure it gets in and out of the connector located near the lower right of the steering column.

Then make sure power gets in and out of the large connector located near the left front of the dash below the relay bracket.

From there it goes to the lamps on the front of the car.

Happy Racing!

“Push On Bumper To Spin”