Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Car wont shut off

Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: LT1 Swap in process
Transmission: 700R4, 3000 Stall
Axle/Gears: Posi disc brake 3.42
Car wont shut off

Did an lt1 swap on my 92 Camaro, Everything was going great until the other day i fired it up and let it run for a couple of minutes, when i turned the key off the engine stayed running, but the radio and everything went off. I have the painless wiring set up so it has that fuse box, its like thats getting constant power all the time, i dont know why it randomly started doing it though. I went back through all the wiring and everything seems fine

Anyone know a fix?

Thanks,
Cody
Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: LQ9/L92
Transmission: 4L60E
Re: Car wont shut off

sounds possibly like you may have a bad ignition switch. i would get a wiring diagram and check to see if the switched ignition power is turning off when the key cylinder is turned to off
Old 07-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

how long did it run?

had it happen before but after 30-45 sec it shuts off.

a miss wired electric fan will do that, the spin down of the fan motor will power the engine.

check auido speaker wires too.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Engine: LT1 Swap in process
Transmission: 700R4, 3000 Stall
Axle/Gears: Posi disc brake 3.42

Sorry i havent been on here to give a update. I went through all the wiring, someone told me that it sounded like a bare wire was grounding off somewhere, but i couldnt find anything. I tore apart the steering wheel and the wires on the ignition lock cylinder were broke off, so i got a new one and replaced it. Still nothing. I dont know if i mentioned this is the first post but the check engine light on the painless stays on, even with the key off. I used a test light on the fuse box in the car and put it where i have the hot wire going to the fuse box for the painless wiring harness, with the key on it shows its getting power, and with the key off it shows its not getting power.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

call painless
Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Supreme Member

Engine: 5.0 TBI L03 V8
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4 W/ Corvette shift kit
Axle/Gears: 2:73 open

Ironic. Usually these type of threads here are about people who cant START their cars.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 AM

1.Faulty alternator/regulator. GM 10SI and 12SI alternators sometimes feedback voltage into the exciter wire even when the engine is shut off. This causes voltage to feed into the ignition circuit which keeps the coil hot with voltage and causes the engine to keep running. Remedy this issue by installing a diode #276-1661 from Radio Shack, inline with the alternator exciter wire. Make sure to install the diode with the line closest to the alternator. By installing this diode you have introduced a one way gate in which voltage can only flow to the alternator and not vice-a-versa on the exciter wire.
Electric fan wired into the ignition circuit without a relay.
2.Electric fans must be wired with a relay if they are spliced into any of the ignition hot circuits of any chassis harness. If a relay is not used the fan will feedback voltage into the ignition circuit of the harness when the ignition key is turned off while the engine is running with the fan spinning.
3.A faulty ignition switch. Ignition switches do wear out and break apart internally. If any of the brass parts inside the switch break apart and wedge themselves across terminals within the ignition switch, they can cause the engine to not be able to shut off.
4.Metal parts/fragments fall into the back side of the fuseblock. Most of Painless' harnesses have fuseblocks with open backs to them. Depending on how they are mounted within the vehicle this open area is succeptable to metal fragments, nails, staples and scrap pieces of wire to fall into it. This can cause a short accross the ignition and battery circuts of the fuseblock which in turn may cause engine run on.