Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Fuse for hatch pull down

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: / 89 IROC /
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Fuse for hatch pull down

I've owned my car since new- and over the years, on occasion I've had issues with the hatch pull down motor. But always, after some monkeying with it, it always came back up, so I can close the hatch.

Those days are apparently over, popped the hatch yesterday, and the motor did not come back up. Took everything apart, guess its given up the ghost finally.

The only thing is, other times when this has happened, I recall the hatch light being on - now its not. I inspected the bulb, seems fine. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box, all good. Is there another fuse back in the hatch area somewhere that I can check before I go buy a new motor?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Fuse for hatch pull down

According to the '87 schematic, the hatch pull down is connected directly to 12v through that one fuse (hot at all times).

If the pull down does not extend, the FSM supplement says to measure the voltage at the pull down connector "B" (red/white) for battery voltage (with the connector still attached to the pull down).

If there's battery voltage, replace the pull down.

If there's no voltage, look for an open in the Connector "B" (red/white) wire or fuse.

You might also want to see if the cargo light and the pull down are grounded at the same point. A poor ground might explain what you're seeing as well.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I don't know about a fuse (I couldn't find any wiring diagrams for the hatch motor), but on mine there is a relay next to the motor assembly. If you haven't checked that yet it'd be worth a shot.

This is from a 1991 Firebird Formula, so I don't know how close it is to your car.

I've highlighted it in red here:
Old 09-01-2014, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by someone972
I couldn't find any wiring diagrams for the hatch motor
When you look for wiring diagrams use google images to sort through all the other BS quicker.
Here's one. The ground and hot for the light are the same as the ones for the motor. But the light is also controlled by the latch switch as is the motor function. I'd look into those before thinking the motor is shot.
Name:  Hatch_Pull_Down.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  175.1 KB
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Viking
I've owned my car since new- and over the years, on occasion I've had issues with the hatch pull down motor. But always, after some monkeying with it, it always came back up, so I can close the hatch.

Those days are apparently over, popped the hatch yesterday, and the motor did not come back up. Took everything apart, guess its given up the ghost finally.

The only thing is, other times when this has happened, I recall the hatch light being on - now its not. I inspected the bulb, seems fine. Checked all the fuses in the fuse box, all good. Is there another fuse back in the hatch area somewhere that I can check before I go buy a new motor?
I don't know if yours is the same as mine , but my 89 firebird doesnt have a fuse in the fusebox marked lid , it's got this small single fuse holder that is supposed to be clipped to the side of the fusebox . Mine was , as most are I suspect , unclipped from the side of the fusebox and ended up tucked up behind some other harness to keep it from hanging down . Made it a REAL pain to find ! Anyway it's a black plastic holder with a red and a red/white wire and this has my pull down motor fuse in it . I searched here at TGO and it seems it was factory wired this way in the earlier firebirds with the later ones actually having it in the fusebox itself . Could yours be like this possibly ?