Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

EBL and A/C Surging

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5
EBL and A/C Surging

This weekend I replaced my entire old/leaked out A/C system except for my evaporator. I got it up and running, and it blows cold air and has been doing so the whole weekend.

I may have a leak in the evaporator, or maybe just bad manifold gauges, because the system didn't want to seem to hold a vacuum for very long (almost immediately lost vacuum with vacuum pump off) without a pump. However, upon adding a small amount of refrigerant with dye, I couldn't find a leak. Then after adding a full charge, the system blew cold and the compressor stays on. This is after driving about 300 miles for the past 3 days and it still seems good. I do however think I can smell some of the refrigerant (redtek stuff which is like duracool, not r134a) when I'm stopped with the A/C on.

------

Anyways, apart from all that, my compressor does NOT seems to be cycling on or off. When I turn the A/C on, the compressor stays on the entire time. Therefore I can't see the surging coming from cycling compressor loads.

Despite this, I feel a surging while driving at any speed/rpm (highways or side streets, accelerating or steady throttle). The surging is more pronounced under heavier throttle loads, but the frequency of the surging is the same throughout any load from residential speeds to highway speeds. I do not notice the surging at idle, only under throttle.

I saw this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...067-ebl-c.html but I am such a noob at tuning I don't know how to look into any of those values yet.

RBob, if you see this thread, or anyone who may know, it seems as if I should be checking something about proportional gain first correct?

In order to do this, do I start a data log in the WUD, then look at this log in TunerPro? Or will it show up in the WUD?

You said to to look at data logged Gms sec column, then compare them to the PRP table. Should I just lower the percentages in th PRP- Gain Multiplier vs. Airflow table, or would I raise the values to decrease the gain?

Sorry about being a complete idiot when it comes to tuning, I'll learn eventually. If anyone has experienced this and knows what I should look up and how to go about doing it, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5
Re: EBL and A/C Surging

Just an update in case anyone ever searches this thread.

My A/C compressor ended up overheating and ruined the clutch after one week of use.

I'm suspecting this may have been partly because my manifold gauges were not working properly, and I couldn't get a full proper charge, therefore making the compressor overheat. That, and the new compressor may have been partially faulty (because completely overheating in one week seems a little too soon to me.)

Anyways, after another new compressor, condenser, accumulator, orifice tube (96 ford crown vic orange one) and flush, along with new manifold gauges, the A/C is back up and running.

I edited the proportional gain in Tunerpro a +10% for the values suggested in the link I posted in the initial post, then uploaded the bin file to the computer.

With this, and a fully charged A/C system, the vehicle surging with the A/C on is completely gone, and the compressor is not overheating!