Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Ground and Power wiring HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5
Ground and Power wiring HELP

Okay I made a mistake.

I "recently" pulled my engine (1991 305 TBI) in order to fix an intake manifold coolant leak which turned into getting an edlebrock intake, adding a new cam and some head/valve work and paint.

Anyways, I think I took some pictures on my old phone of some things before (which broke in half), but don't remember if I took pictures of the grounding and power wiring. My phone broke anyways so I lost all my data on it too...

Now that I'm about ready to install my engine, I figured out that I forgot the exact wiring and want to make sure to not mess it up, like ground power wires or vice versa, and I have a few questions.

Here is the power terminal thing with two of the wires that I know go there:
Name:  20150829_235016_zps4jfc9xme.jpg
Views: 15293
Size:  297.3 KB

Here are some wires that I think might go there:
Name:  20150829_235216_zpsdcsycwr1.jpg
Views: 17901
Size:  246.2 KB

Can anybody tell tell me which of these wires wire up to the "power terminal thing" near the battery (seen in the back top right)?

Out of these wires, there are three fusible links that go into on larger connector (pictured leftmost), one purple wire with a smaller connector, and then another fusible link further up the harness that also has a smaller connector. These wires are all coming from the harness that would be positioned on the passenger side of the intake manifold.

I want to make sure I don't mix any of these up if some are grounds and some are power.

------------------------------
My next questions involve ground wires and paint.

My grounding point that is on the passenger side firewall has had some trouble recently. Either a pack-rat or bad ground/corrosion destroyed my blower motor ground wire:
Name:  20150829_235442_zpssecq3mnu.jpg
Views: 14285
Size:  208.6 KB

Also, I painted my cylinder heads/engine and engine bay, and painted over my braided ground wire that is located on the passenger side that would connect to the cylinder head (It is not taken off so underneath has no paint.)
Name:  20150829_235502_zpsrduulx5x.jpg
Views: 12836
Size:  529.0 KB

Is it okay that I painted over this wire, or should I buy a new one? Also, should I add another braided ground wire from the other ground point on the driver's side cylinder head?

Another question involving grounds,

The back of my engine was painted:
Name:  20150829_235713_zpsxbuhymtv.jpg
Views: 12833
Size:  269.6 KB
Will the bolts in the rear of the cylinder heads be good enough to make a ground or should I scratch off the paint on the heads for the grounds?

In case I typed too much and only the end is read I'll recap my questions:

1) Does anybody know all the wires that go to the power terminal near the battery?

2) Should I buy a new braided ground cable since I painted over mine?

3) Will the head bolts be good enough ground points or should I scratch off the paint on the heads?

Thank you for any information! I'm extremely anxious to get my car back on the road and it seems one thing after the other wants to stop it from happening! I'm so close now though.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Ground and Power wiring HELP

1. The red wires w big ring terminals go to the same post as the batt cable on the starter solenoid. The fat purple wire w small ring terminal goes to the S terminal on the solenoid. If the other wire w small ring terminal is red, it probably goes to the binding post, but since it has a fusible link on the end which themselves are color-coded, can't tell what color the wire itself is. Seems highly likely that it does go there though.

2. Doesn't matter. If it really bothers you, take it off and soak it in lacquer thinner.

3. Yes you should sand the paint off, down to clean metal, where the grounds go. Wouldn't hurt to get some "No-Ox" or similar substance (in the electrical dept of the local hardware store) to put on the bare metal to keep it from rusting while still providing a good connection.

4. That one destroyed ground wire needs to be replaced... cut all that bare metal strand stuff off all the way back up into the split loom, and splice on some new wire with a new ring terminal of that size. (looks like 3/8")
Old 08-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover

sofakingdom
Maybe I did not read his/your reply correctly but I think he wants to also know if the connecters in the second photo go to the battery junction block.
I can tell you this. When that junction block has power going to it from a splitter wire that comes from the positive battery cable.
Once that is hooked up the box becomes "very" hot. Do not touch the connections and the frame with a wrench at the same time. The only real way to work with it is to disconnect both pos. and neg. battery cables.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 08-30-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

1. The red wires w big ring terminals go to the same post as the batt cable on the starter solenoid. The fat purple wire w small ring terminal goes to the S terminal on the solenoid. If the other wire w small ring terminal is red, it probably goes to the binding post, but since it has a fusible link on the end which themselves are color-coded, can't tell what color the wire itself is. Seems highly likely that it does go there though.
I'm thinking I addressed the 2nd photo, the one with the wires...

And yes you are right, if the batt is present and connected while hooking up batt wires, VERY bad things can happen. Always disconnect the neg batt cable when working on big thick red wires.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1998 Viper/1996 Bronco
Engine: 8.0/7.3
Transmission: T56/ZF5

Thanks a lot for the replies!

So those big wires go to the starter that makes sense now. Also, the other wire is red with the fusible link so it should be going to that junction block then.

I will make sure to do all this with the battery out of the car and then install the negative cable first!

I thought I was going to get the motor in yesterday but with the transmission in it was too much trouble so I had to pull it (and consequently spill syncromesh all over myself in a feeble attempt to not drain the transmission.)

I've got some simple assignments due for school (senior year engineering in college!), but once I get those taken care of I'll be back to working on this which I might be able to get done tomorrow morning before school!