Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Opinions on box choice.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Opinions on box choice.

Going to update my ignition. Curious as to whos running what and whos had good luck/results with what?

Thanks in advance.

D
Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Opinions on box choice.

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
Going to update my ignition. Curious as to whos running what and whos had good luck/results with what?

Thanks in advance.

D
I know I'll likely get flamed for saying this , , , BUT ,

If you have a properly functioning stock GM HEI ignition , set to the correct for the engine timing , your gonna $pend a lot of money for very little if any noticeable gain because sparks aren't our car's weak areas , production of power wise .

Back in the dark days when cars still came with somewhat , ahem , modest ignition systems an upgrade to CDI with the earliest "High Energy Style" coils that were offered with such kits was a good and power increasing modification . The "Accel Super Coil" is one that came to mind but MSD (the "Blaster" coil i think ?) and the likes all sold them then as they do now . Thing is , when GM designed and installed their own HEI system , there became very little advantage to the aftermarket systems because GM's system comes pretty darned close , spark voltage wise , to most aftermarket systems , despite the marketing BS the aftermarket companies push to sell their product . It's folk's belief that aftermarket always = better that fuels the sales of these ignitions and I agree that in a whole bunch of cases it's true that aftermarket IS better than stock , it's just that in my opinion & experience stock GM HEI ignitions are not one of those cases .

Asbestos suit ? Check .

Last edited by OrangeBird; 05-23-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: the dreaded typo monster
Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

After lots of research, I agree with you 100% What I need to do is dyno this thing and see if it can produce and what things needing upgrading. Ive heard a ford coil is good and the gm performance dizzy actually beets the msd box over and over on the dyno, and that comes from very very wise engine builders. I got the $$ and Ive got the itch. But lets not throw it away.. Another thing is my headers, Ive got 12 year old flowtec shorties. Small tubes, and I think they are restricting me, but again, I need to dyno it and see the numbers. I know I SHOULD be close to 450 if not closer to 500. Its what a shop told me they got from the same build. I know the rear end didnt last long... Thanks for your response. Its actually exactly what I was looking for in a way.

D
Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by -=Z28=-
After lots of research, I agree with you 100% What I need to do is dyno this thing and see if it can produce and what things needing upgrading. Ive heard a ford coil is good and the gm performance dizzy actually beets the msd box over and over on the dyno, and that comes from very very wise engine builders. I got the $$ and Ive got the itch. But lets not throw it away.. Another thing is my headers, Ive got 12 year old flowtec shorties. Small tubes, and I think they are restricting me, but again, I need to dyno it and see the numbers. I know I SHOULD be close to 450 if not closer to 500. Its what a shop told me they got from the same build. I know the rear end didnt last long... Thanks for your response. Its actually exactly what I was looking for in a way.

D
Glad I could help . I will tell you I'm not the one who knows high performance cams and head specs like the serious engine guys out here , but electrical , specifically automotive electrical , has been one of my strongest areas throughout my time of working on cars and any time I can help someone with something I know I'm happy to do so .
Old 05-24-2016, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

A properly working stock HEI ignition system is all you need for a stock to near stock SBC engine. The gains you may get from an aftermarket ignition amplifier box are not worth the money and effort to install it in my opinion. Been there, done that already.

Now, if you just so happen to stumble across one for cheap money then fine, go for it.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28
A properly working stock HEI ignition system is all you need for a stock to near stock SBC engine. The gains you may get from an aftermarket ignition amplifier box are not worth the money and effort to install it in my opinion. Been there, done that already.

Now, if you just so happen to stumble across one for cheap money then fine, go for it.
Well see my engine is far from stock. Its not some radical build but its got some corn with a side of beef. I'm thinking about just getting the engine on the dyno, make some pulls and see where my weak spots are. However, I'd like to have them on hand so I dont have to go back to the dyno guy. Do it all in one day..., er try to. Thanks for the response!