Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Brightest headlights & dielectric grease Q

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Brightest headlights & dielectric grease Q

I do not wish to convert my headlights but I would like to know what the brightest H4666 lamps are that are currently made? I would really like to be at the 5K spectrum but anything at least 4K would be good. I just want real bright white light.

My next question, dielectric grease. I live on a small island so corrosion is a huge problem from the salt air and limestone dust. I just bought a huge tube of the stuff and I plan on using it on literally every single connector for anything on the entire car; weatherpack connectors for sensors, lights, spark plug boots, etc. Is there anything I should NOT use it on and any tips for using it like how much or anything?

Thanks!

Alex
Old 05-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Brightest headlights & dielectric grease Q

Can't speak to the headlights; but the dielectric grease (I assume you got a tube of Dow-Corning 4??) is OK. You can use it on anything that's reasonably well sealed; it tends to melt and run out of exposed places, so be careful of that, and where it will end up if it leaks out.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by 92GTA
I do not wish to convert my headlights but I would like to know what the brightest H4666 lamps are that are currently made? I would really like to be at the 5K spectrum but anything at least 4K would be good. I just want real bright white light.
You do not wish to convert your headlights to what ? HID ? H-4 ?

I too wanted the brightest lights that still come in sealed glass housings like the originals , cause I didn't want to go the whole HID or H-4 route myself , dealing with aftermarket housings & upgraded wiring harnesses along the way .

So I discovered that there are Sylvania "SilverStar" headlights available in the exact housings to fit our cars . Now , the number is H6054 and so I don't know about that H4666 number you got , but these H6054 units are all glass and fit exactly as original .

And no , they won't hold a candle to the factory HIDs on my modern day Lincoln (pardon the pun) but they are very noticeably brighter and whiter than the factory supplied lights were , just beware the lifespan is somewhat shorter for them compared to the factory lights .
Attached Thumbnails Brightest headlights & dielectric grease Q-firebird-182.jpg  
Old 05-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Supreme Member

Never heard of Dow-Corning 4, I just bought a tube of whatever the local Kragen had.

I'm using silver stars right now, you're right, after only a year they are starting to dim and turn yellow a bit. H4666 is just the generic headlight number for 3rd gen Firebird headlights, for a 1991-1992 anyway.

Last edited by 92GTA; 05-27-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I'm glad you've noticed the difference with the silverstars too .

BUT !

The side of the box only specifies a 100 hour bulb life expectancy

Good grief , for the additional little bit of brightness & whiteness we get , we have to replace these , in daily driver use , like you say just about once a year . I knew that when I bought them , so I bought a bunch (in case with my luck they discontinue them next year) , but it's a darned shame they don't last longer . I guess that poor lil chunk of tungsten just can't hold up to whatever magic gas Sylvania pumps into them .....
Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 239 Likes on 179 Posts
Car: 1987 Formula (original owner)
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt/3.45

Sylvania's brightest sealed beam is the Silver Star, which you're already familiar with. Sylvania also offers(at least, they used to, so probably can still be found), Cool Blue, which I used in my Formula before I switched to projector retrofits/HID a few years ago. The Cool Blues present somewhat of an HID appearance and delivered a nice, clean light. Both, Silver Star and Cool Blue are supposedly in the 4000K range.

GE offers a comparable product called Nighthawk in sealed beams.

But probably the brightest sealed beam is from Philips. Their Crystal Vision Ultra presents an "HID-look," and it's supposedly in the 4000K-4300K range. Philips' brightest appears to be its X-Treme Vision, but it doesn't appear to be available in sealed beams, only replaceable bulbs, and it's not as white, so it might not look so much like HID.

I know you're all about originality, but with Firebirds' pop-up headlights, you can install anything you want in there, and nobody will every know: hidden by day, awesome by night. So if you really wanted some serious light output, there are several 4x6 plug-n-play sealed beam LED options that have recently hit the market since I originally posted lists of such products a couple of years ago. I haven't updated those posts yet, but I intend to once I've exhausted my search efforts.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Good to know about the Phillips Crystal Vision, I'll have a look into those. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Dow-Corning 4:

http://www.newark.com/dow-corning/27...00g/dp/25C3470

It's pretty much the original AFAIK, everything else is either the same thing private-labeled, or a copy.

(Note that Newark's description says "white"; it's really only white if it's REALLY THICK... most of the time it's more or less clear)