Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Toggle Switch To Coil

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 WS6 5sp TA
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5sp
Axle/Gears: posi
Toggle Switch To Coil

ok, i have no juice to the coil but the engine cranks well. i have not yet replaced the ignition switch BUT i'm considering just running 12v to the coil via a toggle switch which would also act as an anti-theft device. has anyone done this on an 86 Trans am? which contact do i put 12v to? oh, and it would also be a good test. if it starts then it's most likely my ignition switch.

THANKS!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Toggle Switch To Coil

Originally Posted by dragsta
ok, i have no juice to the coil but the engine cranks well. i have not yet replaced the ignition switch BUT i'm considering just running 12v to the coil via a toggle switch which would also act as an anti-theft device. has anyone done this on an 86 Trans am? which contact do i put 12v to? oh, and it would also be a good test. if it starts then it's most likely my ignition switch.

THANKS!
If the car is as nice as you say it is in your sig line , it's certainly nice enough to spend the couple of $$ and get it it's proper ignition switch rather than hacking it up with a crap rigged toggle switch .

Building a full on race car with a custom dashboard that uses all toggle switches for all functions ? Sure , toggles are used in that application all the time .

"Fixing" a street driven car by hacking up the wiring with a toggle switch rather than just doing it right the first time and being done with it ? Sorry , but , this is exactly the kinds of hackjobs that does the image of our cars no favors whatsoever .

Not trying to be a dick here , much , just trying to drive home the point of your car's wiring being kinda like virginity , it's only pure till it ain't , and once that first wire is cut , it's ALL downhill from there , it'll be out drinkin and smokin and whorein in no time flat !

Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 AM

well, using a toggle will accomplish three things:

#1. it will isolate the ignition switch as the culprit which i can then change at my leisure.
#2. it will get this car RUNNING so that i can then start working on it in earnest.
#3. it will be a theft deterrent device.

so, again: has anyone done this and to which wire on the coil should i $hit-rig the toggle?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
We Have Ignition

There is a pink wire coming out of the ignition switch.

That is the one that will get one side of the toggle switch.

The other side of the toggle switch will go to the
10 AWG red wire going into the ignition switch.

Use 10 AWG wire for your new ones.

Happy Racing !

Don’t Fuss Paintin’ Your Back Bumper, Cause B4 The Race Is Over I’m Gonna’ Be Pushing You Out Of The Way
Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 AM

that's what i needed to know. THANKS! i've been waiting for it to cool down a bit but i'll get under there later today IF the daily T-storms hold off. i can't wait for winter...