Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Working but slow responding tach

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working but slow responding tach

I have a 1990 Iroc-z that had the typical, non-working gauges so I had them fully refurbished by Hawks. A couple of problems still persist. That being the tachometer and the Speedo being off.

To be clear, the tach does not jump around, is not erratic and does not stick. The problem now is that the tach responds very slowly to engine rpm. All grounds seem ok after testing with a voltmeter. Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help is appreciated!
Old 09-11-2016, 09:45 AM

Re: Working but slow responding tach

Anyone?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: LOWERED ♦ CRIMSON METALFLAKE
Engine: ► 400 KUBES ◄
Transmission: 765R4
Axle/Gears: EATON POSI 4.56
A Tach Plan

Before we change things, is your dash rebuild under warrantee?

Happy Racing !

Nitromethane Smells Sweet Burning, But Please, No Roasting Marshmallows On The Zoomies
Old 09-12-2016, 06:07 PM

Re: A Tach Plan

Originally Posted by NINÅ
Before we change things, is your dash rebuild under warrantee?

Happy Racing !

Nitromethane Smells Sweet Burning, But Please, No Roasting Marshmallows On The Zoomies
Hawks claims a 1 year limited warranty but when I asked to send it back for my old parts and my money back they told me..
"Hey Anthony, I am sorry you are having these issues but my guy tests these before they ship on a bench and 9 times out of 10 when I get emails or calls like this it is normally some other issue like a bad sending unit, buffer box for the speedo or something else. I will be more than happy to refund you $15 for the shipping on the cluster b/c that was 100% our fault."
Followed by..
We 100% warranty the cluster to work properly but if it is something else that is causing the cluster to not work then we can’t cover that.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:13 PM

Hawks claims a 1 year limited warranty but when I asked to send it back for my old parts and a refund they told me..
Hey Anthony, I am sorry you are having these issues but my guy tests these before they ship on a bench and 9 times out of 10 when I get emails or calls like this it is normally some other issue like a bad sending unit, buffer box for the speedo or something else. I will be more than happy to refund you $15 for the shipping on the cluster b/c that was 100% our fault.
Followed by..
We 100% warranty the cluster to work properly but if it is something else that is causing the cluster to not work then we can’t cover that.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:17 PM

Hawks claims a 1 year limited warranty but will not honor one on this item because they say that it is not their fault it is not working for me. I'm not happy about that..
Old 09-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Supreme Member

A Tach Plan

Your Tach symptom is unique.

There’s no telling what mods they made.

First you can see if disconnecting a capacitor in the circuitry will stop the lag.

If it looks like the needle is vibrating after you do that you can replace the disconnected capacitor with a smaller (less capacitance) one.

OR

You could use just the electronics from an aftermarket unit and feed the stock movement.

If they are not compatible you could use the aftermarket movement also and use the stock needle on the new movement.

Happy Racing !

Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 PM

Thank you for your suggestions so far, I will surely give them a shot.

Question, do the capacitors just pull out or would I need to be proficient in soldering?
Old 09-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

A Tach Plan

It is soldered in.

You might get lucky if Hawks soldered if in but left long enuff leads so you could cut it (and reconnect it if necessary).

Happy Racing !

Old 09-17-2016, 05:00 PM

After pulling the circuit board out, the only modification made was a resistor between pins 4 and 10. Before I sent it out it would peg all the way open. Now it just moves at a snails pace. I will clip the capacitor next chance I get and report back on the way the needle reacts.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:35 PM

I clipped one end of the capacitor to disconnect it and now the tach shows no reading. I will try a new capacitor of the same value and see what happens.