Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Seeking guidance on rewiring my car (body harness)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em
Seeking guidance on rewiring my car (body harness)

I'm just now getting back into this project full force after a very long time.
Car has essentially been stored since 2008.

Harness was total junk. Lots of repairs throughout it, tangled in black electrical tape, lots of broken clips/plugs. Everything just very brittle and worn. I yanked off the entire front body harness as far as the lights go. I clipped it at the firewall as to not screw myself out of possibly needing to reuse the large "blocks" there, but I will need to gut everything 100% anyway as the car will undergo media blasting.

What's the best way to go about rewiring this car? Have someone do it from scratch? Go off of another used harness in better shape? This is a very daunting task, and I'd really appreciate input.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Lots of 'em
Re: Seeking guidance on rewiring my car (body harness)

Anyone?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI V8
Transmission: 700/R4
Axle/Gears: Stock

I would buy a used harness. I built a harness from scratch for a cafe racer I built. It cost over $100 in materials alone. You would be surprised how hard it is to buy wire in many different color.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

I enjoy wiring and there are numerous ways to improve the wiring harness of the cabin, exterior lighting and engine harness. However, It would cost a lot to buy all of the colored wiring in the correct gauges. No way could I do it for $100. If you really want to rewire the harness as a custom job a better bet (money wise) might be to cannibalize 2-3 complete wiring harnesses. In making a few alterations to mine I used the original plus 1/2 of another. If you want to only replace the wiring I would find a car at the wrecking yard and just pull it's wiring completely. You will have to reuse your VATS box as well as ignition cylinder though. Pulling the cabin and exterior lighting harnesses isn't hard but you will have to gut the interior.