Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

mystery electric

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 l
Transmission: auto o/d
Axle/Gears: 373
mystery electric

I have a 90 base Firebird 3.1l. It was a yard find. Was said to be sitting in a backyard for 5 years. I have redone the rear, installed 2.5" muffler and pipes. Changed every fluid except coolant. Doing coolant with hoses in the spring. Did actual major tune up, scoured throttle body. Replaced tank sending unit. Installed an updated head unit from Crutchfield, along with a ton of cosmetics. Seller indicated he replaced ECM, Fuel pump, Battery, Injectors and rails (clogged), and fuel filter to get it to start and run. It does run great. The issue; occasionally I get odd electrical issues, one time the power door locks quit. Three or four times the blower runs on a med or high setting with the switch set to low. Each time the issue was gone the next time the car started. The latest however, cannot be reset by starting because the starter does not engage. This one is becoming more frequent. When this occurs, idiot lights come on, stereo works, fuel pump even primes, just no crank. Once I got a ride to work. After work my fellow hot rodder and I were ready to attack but the car started right up. Next time I was at work. Through my experience as a mechanic and service manager I thought, hit the starter. I went into work to get a heavy blunt object. Before diving onto the wet ground I figured I'd try starting. SOB it started right up. The very next day same thing. Since I was already armed with the heavy blunt object I popped the hood to find which side the starter was on. I found it, but noticed it had oil on it. Hmmmm maybe the oil is the problem. I tried to start it again and SOB it started right up. So maybe the starter is from the oil, been there with customer's cars, but what about the other issues? Oh and any idea where the oil can be coming from. I have not been under the car yet. It's January here in SE PA and not conducive to driveway repairs. P.S. both no starts at work were on unusually warm winter days 50 to 60*
Old 01-13-2017, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08
Re: mystery electric

From all the information you've given, it sounds intermittent and could possibly be the cable being loose or damaged. If the car sat for that amount of time, rodents could have chewed partially through the cable. Another possibility is the solenoid is going bad because of the oil drenching it. I agree that you should find out the source of the oil leak as it may be a contributing factor. Let us know what you find when the weather warms up.