Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Alternator led indicator

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator led indicator

OK so I have a 1987 Camaro with a HEI SBC. It was a complete hack job when I got it. Ive been sorting it out over last few weeks. Got it running and it's charging 16-17v at battery and at a volt gauge I installed. So I got to investigating it and found wiring with crap solders, connections etc. So I decided to just re do it all. Got a new two wire clip and wired number two to back lug, back lug to battery positive and number 1 to switched 12v thru a LED indicator light. My issue is it still overcharges and led never lights even key on, engine off. The ground is directly to block/intake manifold and I even tried a small ground direct to alternator case and still nothing. I have quite a bit of experience with electronics and thought that maybe led wasn't providing the resistance to " excite" regulator like ive read it needs to. So I added a resistor in series and still nothing. I also tried in parallel with bulb, nothing. I'll attach a few diagrams that is the way I've tried. I do have a diode in my switched 12v wire as to not get run on, and it is proper direction. The led is good. I'm stumped and I'm sure I'm overlooking something. I've been reading for hours and the way I have it should work. I should note that it still charges at 16-16.5v as well. Ideas?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:30 PM

Re: Alternator led indicator

Old 01-18-2017, 09:31 PM

Re: Alternator led indicator

Also when led was in parallel it dropped charging voltage to 12v. Its a 100ohm 5 watt, maybe to much?