Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Speedometer in 89 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Camaro 2.8 V6; 2011 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 Liter V6
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Speedometer in 89 RS

Greeting and salutations!
This would probably be easier with photos and I can get some tomorrow but I wanted to throw this out now...just to see what folks say. I have a 1989 Camaro RS, stock 2.8 V^. I broke the original speedometer because I was a dumb***. Got old speedometer out and installed another one but it did not work. I noticed that on the speedometer end of the cable, there is a blue plastic piece that, I can only describe as a nipple. I looks like it should plug into a female piece on the back of the speedometer, but there is no fitting for it to plug into. I have searched replacement cables and none of them come with this "nipple". I have verified that the cable is turning when I drive so the cable is fine. Has anyone else experienced or seen this blue, plastic nipple on the end of the cable and how/what is it supposed to plug into? I appreciate all of you and have learned so much from just reading the threads.