Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Turn Signal - 12v output wire that's not through the flasher??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 355
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Turn Signal - 12v output wire that's not through the flasher??

Weird question. Is there a 12v output wire that's energized when you activate the turn signal that doesn't run through the flasher? I need a constant 12v source that's separate for each side meaning 1 for when I turn left and one when I turn right.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:23 PM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: Turn Signal - 12v output wire that's not through the flasher??

Use a multimeter to test the wires from the gauge pod. If it is on the high side of the flasher then it might have +12V all the time.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:30 PM

I'm literally doing exactly that right now but all I've found is pulsating wires. The wires I'm looking for have to be there though because I can't comprehend how a single wire from the flasher can know which side is one. Unless there's something happening with a relay prior to the flasher...
Old 02-05-2017, 08:05 PM
COTM Editor

Originally Posted by DNSTA
The wires I'm looking for have to be there though because I can't comprehend how a single wire from the flasher can know which side is one.
I'm guessing the turn switch in the steering column diverts to the correct light bulb.
But that is a guess. Time to break out the wiring diagrams???
Old 02-06-2017, 01:02 PM

BUMP

Thank QwkTrip for the help. I reviewed the wiring diagram in my manual and online and wasn't able to find anything. Based on your comments I think there may not be a wire like I'm trying to find but I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

Don't know if this helps,but here's a little info on turn signal function.
Name:  Turn%20Signal%20operation%20002_zpsknozfgyu.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  273.1 KB
Old 02-06-2017, 09:25 PM
COTM Editor

Looks like flasher is first in sequence. There is no constant 12V only ON with turn signal.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 PM

Yeah. That's exactly the diagram I was looking at and came to the same conclusion. Thanks mantaguy for the detailed written description of the schematic. I believe there is no such wire as the one I'm looking for. Hmm... I'll have to figure something else out.

Just in case it helps I should probably tell you what I’m actually trying to do. I recently bought a universal sequential tail light kit and am trying to get it to work. As of right now I can get everything to function correctly except when the brakes are applied and the turn signal is on. Then I get this weird double flashing of two of the three lights.

After many hours or trial and error I came to the conclusion that either I wired the units incorrectly (not likely as it’s a very simple hook-up) or they simply didn’t function with our cars wiring. I then go the idea to introduce a relay to the system and use it to close the brake light circuit when the flashers are activated therefore the need for a 12v constant when the flashers come on.

As you see it doesn’t look like that will work so I’ll have to figure something else out.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:54 PM
COTM Editor

Maybe you could set up a latching relay that activates when voltage is applied just downstream of the turn switch in the Left or Right position. Then somehow unlatch it when the switch goes back to OFF.

Easy to say.... harder to design.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

An idea crazy enough that it might just work ....

If you need a constant instead of blinking signal to the back from the turnsignal switch for your electronically operated sequential lights , why couldn't you jump across the existing flasher and with it removed from the circuit you'd have your constant power instead of blinking at the back like you need it . But wait !!! Now the front turnsignals won't blink and instead will be on constantly like the back that needed the constant turn signal voltage , right ? Yep , they will , right up untill you wire a separate flasher into each of the front turnsignals power leads ! Now with a left or right turn signal lever application the back left or right will have it's constant power that it needs and the fronts will each be free to blink using the dedicated flasher in each one of their power feed wires .

And thus you would have your constant power to the backs with your blinking fronts . Bonus points for hooking up the dashboard indicators to the front turn signal's power to the bulb (after the relocated flashers) so that the dashboard indicators will still flash with the signals (they would be otherwise on constant since we've effectively moved the blinker's position in the circuit) . You may need to use an electronic blinker unit (one for each side , front left and front right) because the draw of only one bulb instead of two may not be enough to cause a normal current dependent blinker unit to actually get the Bimetalic element it uses to make & break the circuit warm enough to flash .

I know it sounds crazy , but it would work ......

Last edited by OrangeBird; 02-09-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 PM

That is crazy... crazy like a fox! And, it's nearly exactly what I did! As you astutely pointed out once the flasher is out of the system the front signals won’t function along with the dashboard indicators. What I plan on doing to get around this is to run return wires from the sequential module back under the dash and splice in to the front signals and dash indicators. That way everything will flash at the same rate, controlled by the sequential unit, and I don’t need to add any more complexity than I already have.

Unfortunately my setup has eliminated the flasher so I now have no way to control the rate of flash which is really annoying because I think the sequential unit flashes the lights too fast so I’m kind of bummed about that. Here’s another question. I tried installing the flasher right between the turn signal wire at the back of the car and the sequential unit but it has no effect on flash rate. Is there something else that works in concert with the flasher to control the rate or does it have to do with the physical distance (resistance from the wires?) the lights are away from the flasher itself? I’m using an electronic flasher made for LEDs and not the standard flasher which I assume makes a difference but my question stands.

I’ll get this figured out yet. I’m really hoping the manufacture comes back with a real solution but I’m convinced it has to do with our cars wiring as opposed to a faulty unit. Just wish I had a better understanding of electronics so I could figure it out or at least know why it’s not functioning.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:04 AM
COTM Editor

An LED bulb has much less current draw in comparison to an conventional bulb. I doubt the LED current draw is enough to cause the flasher to cycle. The flasher is probably just a closed switch in that case.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:19 AM

Correct perhaps for the standard flasher but I'm using an electronic flasher made specifically for LED bulbs. If I put it in the correct place under the dash it works to control the flash rate but if I connect it right next to the bulb it has no effect. Something else in the system seems to be influencing its function which actually may have something to do with why the system doesn't work in the first place.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM

On second thought OrangeBird... I'm going to do EXACTLY what you said. I didn't really think it through and using the modules for the control of the flash will also turn my front turn signals into front brake lights... So it'll be two flashers and some wire splicing for me.