Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

1987 cluster ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc-Z28
Engine: 5.0l TPI
Transmission: 700r4
1987 cluster ideas

I have searched through the forums and haven't found a thread on installing a 82-89 custom gauge cluster. I am wanting to know if anyone knows how to make a custom cluster for an 87 iroc using the factor ecm wiring for the warning lights. I will direct wire gauges but dont know how to do the warning lights and turn signals. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 1987 cluster ideas

Originally Posted by Eric Kelley
I have searched through the forums and haven't found a thread on installing a 82-89 custom gauge cluster. I am wanting to know if anyone knows how to make a custom cluster for an 87 iroc using the factor ecm wiring for the warning lights. I will direct wire gauges but dont know how to do the warning lights and turn signals. Any input is appreciated.
Hello Eric Kelley ,

The ECM controls one light and one light only , the "Service Engine Soon" light (sometimes called by GM the "MIL" for Malfunction Indicator Lamp") . Every other light on your dash is driven by it's own circuit independent of the ECM . If you have an oil light , it has it's own oil pressure switch controlling it . If you have a temperature light , it too would have it's own temperature monitoring switch . I do have the wiring diagrams for 1989 , your 1987 being very similar these should help you to see what's controlling what , dashboard wise .
Attached Thumbnails 1987 cluster ideas-diagram_1989_gauges_part1.gif   1987 cluster ideas-diagram_1989_gauges_part2.gif   1987 cluster ideas-diagram_1989_gauges_part3.gif