[TX] WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 6.2 383 TPIS Miniram
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 4.11
WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harness

Squirrels got at the Harness on both the pass and drives side firewall. Was factory T5 now has a T-56. Harness has to be for Pontiac (battery is on drivers side) Car has a 383 with TPIS Miniram mated to T-56 not that it matters for the harness.

Also need the hvac harness for under the hood since it got to that also. :-(

Really looking to buy around spring since money is tight right now but maybe something can be worked out.

Photo Album

Last edited by michael; 12-31-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End
Re: WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harne

I might have a HVAC and a Headlight Harness for your car, but no Engine/ECM harness to offer. I take a look the next time I get close to my wiring,......

Old 12-31-2016, 08:41 AM

Re: WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harne

Originally Posted by John in RI
I might have a HVAC and a Headlight Harness for your car, but no Engine/ECM harness to offer. I take a look the next time I get close to my wiring,......

Sounds good. I need to gather up the courage as it were to remove the cover and pop the hood again and actually take some time and see what all wiring they got to. The headlight harness may also be damaged. Along with take pictures. My biggest fear when we purchased the car that united us was keeping squirrels out of the engine bay since they got to my 91 that was parked.

We were always on the ball with starting it off an on and raising the hood to keep activity going on to deter the rodents from getting in this one. Especially since there was a bunch of spliced and tied into wires on the drivers side firewall. Like a moron I never got the pictures I meant to take apparently to show what all was spliced in should they ever get at it.

Needless to say I was working on the Ford 9" axles and draining the fluid to change the pinion tail o-ring all to find the keeper for the pinion bearing worked it's way out of the rear end housing. Of course at the time I wasn't sure what was going on with it because I've never been in a rear end before except draining and refilling fluid. I sure have never been in a Ford 9" rear before. There were storms coming in and I had to slap it all back together.

The races aren't in the ends of the tubes because I already rented the puller to remove those. Things have happened and haven't been able to get back after it to knock the pinion keeper back in and get the axles to someone to replace the bearings and seals. We have just been busy these past several months.

It's had an electrical issue with draining the battery which I haven't tracked down yet but I know a car alarm shouldn't drain it in a week to 2 week time frame. I have a feeling it's the overhead console light since it has some quirks like coming on even though the switch is off. Again just haven't had a chance to get into it.

All these things just seem to build up and not allow time to get back to the car hence why it hasn't been getting started and more then likely hence why the squirrels have gotten under the hood.

I'll stop now lol

Decided to go survey the damage and take photos. What a mess on the drivers side. The pass side is self explanatory. It's the factory hvac and engine harness (along with a new blower motor). The pass side is where all the custom splicing really comes in. There is splicing at the coil which are the last photos in the album. My best guess is the small white wire has something to do with the alarms kill switch. The drivers side is such a mess I can't make heads or tails of what is what. The main harness to the firewall is intact at least for the most part. It's all the loose small loom stuff that is destroyed. Then there is the relay that I have no clue what it went to that is missing the top for it. Several of the wires enter the firewall in what appears to not be a factory hole so I assume some of those are for the gauge pods in the a pillar.

Some of the wiring on the fenderwell I believe is for the hid light kit but it's such a mess who knows. Some of it is probably for the line lock which I planned on removing since we have no thoughts of running it on the strip. The headlight harness if I'm not mistaken only runs down the drivers side frame rail and I think that is intact. Unless some of the small loomed wires (or what's left of them) that collect in this area by the relays also have to do with the headlights. I'm just at a total loss with this mess.

Oh yea and as you can see from the photo they also got at the hood liner (fire snuffer) that WAS in perfect condition. They decided to use it as bedding instead.

UPDATE:
Looking over the old list of what the car has had done to it I ran across this:

* 100 watt H4 Diamond cut headlights upgrade utilizing Painless battery relay harness

So I'm sure some of the wiring on the pass side is part of that and the relay with the missing cover may be part of that who knows without further tracking down of the wiring. I've been all over the front headlights because they were working then not working. There is a black relay box that is bad and wiggling the connector will allow the lights to come on and go off with just wiggling the connector. So I never traced the wires back toward the car from the harness for the HID lights. Wish I did now.

Photo Album

Last edited by michael; 12-31-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 rs,1 92 rs,92 b4c/1le
Engine: 5.0tbi,5.7 tune port/5.0tpi
Transmission: 5spdx2 and t56
Axle/Gears: 3.08,3.73,3.42

I have the engine harness from a 91 gta with t5 complete no splices
Old 01-02-2017, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by driver101
I have the engine harness from a 91 gta with t5 complete no splices
pm incoming
Old 01-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I didn't try to check into the headlight harness based on your last post.

"The headlight harness if I'm not mistaken only runs down the drivers side frame rail and I think that is intact. "
I did try to ID a heater/AC harness for Ya',... but was unable to do so. I've got several of these things but it's almost impossible to know exactly what harness is a direct match for your ride. The Heater/AC harness-to-Engine harness connectors changed many times over the years. While it's easy to figure out the 82-86 harness ( 1 vacuum line ) from a 87+ harness ( 2 vacuum lines )... I can't tell what plug/wires are needed on the 87 + HVAC harness connector to match your cars engine harness. I've got 1 marked as from an 89 Formula, but have no way to be SURE it's a match for you.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by John in RI
I didn't try to check into the headlight harness based on your last post.

I did try to ID a heater/AC harness for Ya',... but was unable to do so. I've got several of these things but it's almost impossible to know exactly what harness is a direct match for your ride. The Heater/AC harness-to-Engine harness connectors changed many times over the years. While it's easy to figure out the 82-86 harness ( 1 vacuum line ) from a 87+ harness ( 2 vacuum lines )... I can't tell what plug/wires are needed on the 87 + HVAC harness connector to match your cars engine harness. I've got 1 marked as from an 89 Formula, but have no way to be SURE it's a match for you.

The hvac harness connects to the engine harness under the hood? I thought it just fed from under the dash through the fender and to the ac/heat goodies.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The HVAC harness doesn't even go through the fender. It's got it's own grommet in the firewall behind the passenger's side cylinder head. It gets it's power and connects to the A/C compressor through the engine harness. The junction between the HVAC and engine harness should be a wide flat black connector with a few wires, it'll be near the HVAC box.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
The HVAC harness doesn't even go through the fender. It's got it's own grommet in the firewall behind the passenger's side cylinder head. It gets it's power and connects to the A/C compressor through the engine harness. The junction between the HVAC and engine harness should be a wide flat black connector with a few wires, it'll be near the HVAC box.
Ah gotcha. That area is just a mess so I wasn't sure if it went through the fender or not.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:13 AM

John in RI got me the HVAC harness shipped promptly still looking for the engine harness. If this dash wiring gets any more of a disaster I may be looking for that also. JESUS it keeps getting worse with more panels I pull off.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 350 L98 SD TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt PBR 3:23 disc posi

I have the engine harness and interior harness from a 91 Formula 305 TPI and T5. Great condition I removed it myself from the 91 I parted out for my 91 GTA I was going to mod but sold the GTA before modifying it. It has been stored in a box for about 9 years now since I removed it.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dokken10
I have the engine harness and interior harness from a 91 Formula 305 TPI and T5. Great condition I removed it myself from the 91 I parted out for my 91 GTA I was going to mod but sold the GTA before modifying it. It has been stored in a box for about 9 years now since I removed it.
Shoot me a pm with price shipped to 76010 for the engine harness and then for the engine and interior. I have a rats nest to deal with in the dash/console wiring department I have found while trying to see what extra wires went to what under the hood. So I may just replace the interior dash harness also instead of trying to make sense of the disaster inside also. Cough cough you've had them laying around for 9 years cough cough hint hint. LOL
Old 03-12-2017, 10:22 AM

I use to part out, repair and restore 82-92 F-bodies as a side business until the crash of 08. I've held on to my prime parts in case I ever built another. I don't think I'm going to get back into these cars. Getting old. lol
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 AM

I use to part out, repair and restore 82-92 F-bodies as a side business until the crash of 08. I've held on to my prime parts in case I ever built another. I don't think I'm going to get back into these cars. Getting old. lol
I feel ya. When I saw this mess I was like you have gotta be kidding me. I have an extremely hard time with the wiring charts and I get to weed through this fiasco.
WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harness-l3shteb.jpg
WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harness-yyjet9y.jpg
WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harness-6cj1rpg.jpg
WTB Engine harness for 91 Firebird/Formula/TA/GTA (MAP) also underhood hvac harness-yvd4oui.jpg

Of course who pulls a dash apart when they are looking to buy a car. This car has extreme sentimental value since it is how my fiance and I met so when it came up for sale because the previous owner couldn't drive it anymore because of an accident in a different vehicle I had to get it. Little did I know the fiasco inside. Had I known then I would have had to think long and hard about getting it even though the sentiment.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:36 AM

WOW!! What a mess!! I need to find them. Either they are in my storage unit or in the spare bedroom. I think they are here in the house. I will get back with you ASAP.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:12 AM

WOW!! What a mess!! I need to find them. Either they are in my storage unit or in the spare bedroom. I think they are here in the house. I will get back with you ASAP.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

LOL "Ejector seat" and "Self Destruct"? Yikes!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Drew
LOL "Ejector seat" and "Self Destruct"? Yikes!
Yea all coming out along with the light up dice which hang from the rear view mirror that are wired to yet another switch. UGH.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:49 PM

I found them both in the spare bedroom. The interior harness includes the headlight and taillight harnesses which are part of the interior harness.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:56 PM

I found them both in the spare bedroom. The interior harness includes the headlight and taillight harnesses which are part of the interior harness.
Doesn't the actual headlight harness plug in at the C100 or what ever it is on the drivers side? I don't think the headlight harness is actually permanent to the interior harness. They should separate at the bulkhead in the firewall by 10mm nut or something close to it.

One end of the engine harness plugs in right next to the headlight harness on the drivers side bulkhead and the other end goes through the pass fender to the computer and a few other things under the dash on the pass side what ever those are.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by michael
Doesn't the actual headlight harness plug in at the C100 or what ever it is on the drivers side? I don't think the headlight harness is actually permanent to the interior harness. They should separate at the bulkhead in the firewall by 10mm nut or something close to it.

One end of the engine harness plugs in right next to the headlight harness on the drivers side bulkhead and the other end goes through the pass fender to the computer and a few other things under the dash on the pass side what ever those are.
Either way, I have the interior harness box marked as including the headlight and taillight harnesses. This was a loaded Formula.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:08 PM

Either way, I have the interior harness box marked as including the headlight and taillight harnesses. This was a loaded Formula.
The taillight harness should also be a separate harness. I believe it plugs into the drivers side behind the kick panel.

Shoot me a PM with what your wanting for them.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:14 PM

PM sent