Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

LT1 A/C compressor relocation kit and a question

Old 09-30-2004, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Formula
Engine: 95 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Weak 7.5 with 4.10s
LT1 A/C compressor relocation kit and a question

I was on the internet looking for a way to move my P/S pump to the drivers side and I found this http://www.bowersrodshop.com/ This is another option for people wanting to keep A/C. Now for the question- Does anyone know how I could put the alternator low on the Passengers side and the P/S pump low on the drivers side. I would realy like to do this to clean up under the hood of my car.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:55 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 1994 LT1
Transmission: 700r4
A/C Conversion

Bingo, Thank you, thank you, I have been looking all over for an answer to this problem. I was just on the verge of Fabricating my own. Thank *** there are people smarter than me and on this web site. Thanks again.

Don
Old 09-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Re: LT1 A/C compressor relocation kit and a question

Originally posted by bingo
I was on the internet looking for a way to move my P/S pump to the drivers side and I found this http://www.bowersrodshop.com/ This is another option for people wanting to keep A/C. Now for the question- Does anyone know how I could put the alternator low on the Passengers side and the P/S pump low on the drivers side. I would realy like to do this to clean up under the hood of my car.

Whoa, first time I've seen that. Looks like a great option for people who get F-body LT1's but don't want to modify the cross-member.

As to your question, about the only way you're going to get the power steering on the driver's side, that I know of, is Vette accessory mounts.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:50 PM

I think I may just put my A/C on. I notched the K member when I put it in. I was looking for a way to run my lines and keep them out of my headers. I have the carquest adapter, but it will not clear. I can't afford a relocation kit or vette accessories since my car lost oil pressure. I have to pull my engine and I would like to have A/C when it goes back in. pics would be very helpful.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:30 AM
Supreme Member

you're going to have to get creative if you want to keep the hoses out of the headers. But if you wan't a/c, you'll run them where you can.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:09 PM

I think I will just use this instead of the carquest fitting. I found this last night. I think I can get a local hose shop to make lines that will clear. http://www.acsource.com/ I found this under compressor hose block.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 A/C compressor relocation kit and a question-aa0335blklg.jpg  

Last edited by bingo; 10-04-2004 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

I think I will just use this instead of the carquest fitting. I found this last night. I think I can get a local hose shop to make lines that will clear. http://www.acsource.com/ I found this under compressor hose block.

Interesting....

but if you're going to use something like that, why not use this one?

If you use the one you posted, you're going to have problems with the hoses running into the cross member.

*Edit* Also, thanks for posting that link, looks very helpful for this. I've been wanting to redo my hoses for a while and this looks like the way to do it.

Last edited by TexasLT1; 10-04-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:12 PM

Car: 87 vert
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T5
this is GREAT, which a/c lines do we need to use? and can we use the stock serpentine belt?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:40 PM

The factory LT1 lines are recessed into the back of the compressor. The one I posted has provisions for this. I was planning on having lines made that bend back on themselves. I would rather use the one you posted if it had the right provisions for the compressor. I don't know how well it would seal with the other one.

Last edited by bingo; 10-04-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Supreme Member

The factory LT1 lines are recessed into the back of the compressor. The one I posted has provisions for this. I was planning on having lines made that bend back on themselves. I would rather use the one you posted if it had the right provisions for the compressor. I don't know how well it would seal with the other one.

I know when I was trying to get my a/c working, we tried all sorts of different things. One of which was to double stack the seals between the hose block and the compressor. Sealed perfectly, the hose routing was the reason for redoing it. Might want to consider that. You could also probably use a flat washer between the hose block and the seal to space it out the same distance as the one you posted. I don't know how much more, but I would think it would cost a little more to have the hoses made to bend back up. Plus, there is not that much room between the back of the compressor and the cross-member, might want to take that into consideration if you get the hoses made that way. That was the main problem I kept running into was the clearance back there, there just isn't that much.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by bluepastu
this is GREAT, which a/c lines do we need to use? and can we use the stock serpentine belt?

Pretty much no matter what you go with, you're going to have to get custom lines made. With these blocks, it makes it easier because you can specify the length of the lines needed, and the size & thread of the fittings on each end and you're done, just screw them on. We had a hell of a time with mine because we tried splicing hoses and fittings together and it didn't turn out so well. I might even switch over to this.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:19 PM

I may try the other fitting you posted after I check a few other things. I have to worry about pulling my engine, getting my car painted and putting A/C back. I just thought I would post this to help others with their swaps.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:22 AM

Car: '89 RS
Engine: LT1 350 9C1
Transmission: T-56
So what if I want to retain my old A/C compressor and everything else? If I remove it all, I'm gonna lose all my freakin' freon, and that'll stink 'cause I just paid $200 to ge tit charged
If I want to keep it all on the passenger side, is it gonna work? Or am I stuck with relocating to the driver side? Also, what about the tank...do I need to get the one from the donor car or will the 3RD gen do? Basically, what all do I NEED from the donor car (9C1 LT1 5.7 patrol car) for a FULLY operational A/C and what can I retain from my 3rd gen? Thanks for the info, fellow F-body FREAKS!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Supreme Member

Don't need the tank.

You're going to lose your freon. Good luck keeping your original a/c compressor.

Welcome to the board too. The question of "what all do I need from the donor car" can be answered with a search of the boards, its been covered too many times.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:33 AM

Car: '89 RS
Engine: LT1 350 9C1
Transmission: T-56
Originally posted by TexasLT1
Don't need the tank.

You're going to lose your freon. Good luck keeping your original a/c compressor.

Welcome to the board too. The question of "what all do I need from the donor car" can be answered with a search of the boards, its been covered too many times.
Speaking of "welcome to the board," How do I get those cool pictures under my name? Thanks for the advise, Texas!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:56 AM
Supreme Member

go up near the top where it says "user cp" and look for "avatar."