Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Father & Son 1st Car Swap Project Chronicled

Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 - Z28
Engine: 350 / CCC Q-Jet
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt - 3.73
New Gas Pick-Up Ready for install

TGO Guys,
Derek and I made a trip to the J.Yard yesterday and pulled another pick-up assembly from an Iroc. Unfortunatley, it was also a pump in tank setup not the Carb set-up we expected to find in a carbed vehicle. Apparently, the J.Yard vehicle had been "partially" swapped over to a carb. Atleast the assembly is "UNCUT". We tossed the pump, and we will extend the pick-up to the base area.

Derek is removing the Pass Side header this afternoon so we can get the fuel lines tucked farther under the A/C unit. Derek and I will pull his gas tank this evening so we can insert the "better" pick-up assembly.

Tomorrow we'll head to the J.Yard with a battery sawzall to get the tin for a more appropriate repair of the access port created by the previous owner.

We're sorta confident that these repairs will rectify the fuel problem

Sincerely,
Kurt
Old 07-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Formula, 95 GT
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T5, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, ???
Originally posted by sellmanb
Would be a good excuse to send your headers off to jet hot for ceramic coating
You really should look into this option. Not only will it reduce you underhood temps. but without it, your headers will rust away in no time. I made the mistake when I was 17 to but $$ TES headers and not have them coated. They were rusted with in a week. 5 years later they're too far gone to send out and coat now. Anyway, there are other places beside JetHot to have this done, there's a member on this board that I hear does excellent work.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:33 AM

Header $$

Originally posted by 91formulaSS
5 years later they're too far gone to send out and coat now.
91FormulaSS,
Derek and I were feeling the budget pinch and opted for these CHEAPO headers. It's obvious at this point why the TGO boards never mentioned this brand as "Preferred" for an F-Body. These headers fit rather poorly and are also constructed poorly. I have some experience with Hooker proudcts and know they are clearly 1000% better constructed than this product. We had to use headers because our Dip Stick is now on the Driver's side of the car and standard Exhaust Manifolds could not be used.

Coating these clearly inferior headers would be a waste of money. If we can get though until spring...... I'll help Derek purchase a set of good headers (undecided but definately one of the brands recommended on the Exhaust Boards).

BUDGET FYI.... It probably doesn't seem like too much but our current project cost is about $3K+/- that includes; purchase of the vehicle ($750 + $150 tow truck to our home), machine shop work ($1100 +/-), camshaft/lifter combo ($200 +/-), misc stuff ($800 +/-) {Plugs & Wires, Cap/Rotor/Coil, Oil, Filter, Anti-Freeze, Starter, Fuel Lines, Wiring Harness, Hoses, Fuel System (basically complete), Headers, Paint, Hand Cleaner, Parts Cleaner, Carb Cleaner & Rebuild Kit, etc. etc. etc. etc.}

It's a good lesson to anyone thinking about a swap that the "Misc Stuff" is darn near the biggest cost involved!! We know some guys can afford to install heads that cost more than OUR ENTIRE PROJECT. But for us, this is a fairly significant outlay of funds. Derek can always upgrade some items later... but I think we did create a good foundation with a properly repaired and machined 350 4-Bolt block to build on. It has been worth EVERY CENT so far.... But we have had to be $$ responsible with our purchases.

Sincerely,
Kurt

Last edited by kboehringer; 07-29-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:39 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 7.4 454
Transmission: Th 400 man valve stage 3
if nobodys mentioned it before, you could just wrap the headers, its not as expensive as coating, and it will save you on some underhood heat. i dont think its gonna help much on the rusting, just my 2cents.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:57 PM

Car: 91 Formula, 95 GT
Engine: 5.7, 5.0
Transmission: T5, T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1, ???
Originally posted by runnriottt
if nobodys mentioned it before, you could just wrap the headers
There is some inherent risk in using header wrap. I've seen the stuff catch fire.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:57 PM

Car: 1982 Z28 & 1987 Z28
Engine: Carbed 400ci & TPI 305ci
Transmission: TH-200C & TH-700R4
Originally posted by 91formulaSS
There is some inherent risk in using header wrap. I've seen the stuff catch fire.
I've also heard too many bad stories about header wrap. For a strip vehicle its great.. But for a daily driver it's highley NOT suggested. I've read many occurances where just sitting at stop signs the headers get too hot and litterally crack into thousands of pieces.

There is HT silicone coating available in spray cans that I've heard do a good job of protecting the headers from rust and corosion and may keep a little more of the heat in the pipes.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:14 PM

Car: 1989 iroc Z Hardtop
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
I used rattle can high temp paint for my headers. Doesnt help the underhood temps, however its keeping the rust at bay.

The trick with these paints is #1 to use many many coats and #2 to "bake" the paint. Let the car idle and warm up for like ten minutes then shut down and repeat 5 times or so.

Its not a show quality finish but theyr still a nice flat black color about a year and a half later, instead of rust.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:28 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 7.4 454
Transmission: Th 400 man valve stage 3
talk about getting "flamed"... Ive used it with no probs, but, again its just one mans experience. coating the headers would be ideal, there are a million ways to do it, just thought id throw it out there...
Old 07-30-2005, 08:35 PM

Fuel System Repairs

TGO Guys,
Thanks for all the header suggestions.
We've heard of the "bake" the paint deal. Actually we read that Five7Kid heat treated his in the stove. They looked extremely good after a good deal of daily driving.

We're not going to spend time pulling the headers off and painting them properly. As stated in a previous post this set of headers is not worth the time (although it should have been done BEFORE they were installed). We didn't realize the paint on them was just for shipping. If our homemade heat shield, filter removal, and line moving (planned for tomorrow A.M.) does not fix the fuel problem we may use a small amount of wrap on the header only on the area close to the fuel lines.
I (Kurt) will purchase a proper set of headers as soon as we are certain that the engine is running 90%++ properly (Maybe for Derek's B.Day Aug.18th ). We were going to wait but we have to get the Y-Pipe professionally repaired. We better change them now and get the exhaust fabricated with the final set to avoid more $ doing the same work twice.

We started off the day at the rear of the vehicle pulling the fuel tank (and almost everything else PITA! PITA! PITA!) to install a non-butchered pick-up assembly. I (Kurt) ran over to the J.Yard and sliced a chunk out of a RS Camaro (poor 'ole girl didn't see it coming ) We sealed the new repair section with a bead of some good RTV and tack welded every couple inches. Derek got to try welding once or twice as well. I (DAD) am much more comfortable with the vehicle now that a more professional repair has been completed in this area. [IMPO] This "time-saving" short-cut of cutting holes in the body and clipping the fuel lines is potentially deadly. Even though it was a PITA, one should not have to pull the tank but extremely rarely....[IMPO] don't cut a hole pull the tank!

We really thought we were seeing the bright light at the end of the "Engine Swap Victim's" tunnel when the fuel problems started. We really hope we get the fuel, and a few other minor problems, resolved quickly!

It's started raining (yes.... again... darn it!) so we're stuck with Tool Clean-Up and Hot Rod & Car Craft magazines until tomorrow.

Sincerely
Kurt and Derek
Attached Thumbnails Father & Son 1st Car Swap Project Chronicled-z28_tankrepairs_tgo_073005.jpg  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:13 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: clapped out 84Z
Engine: 355 efi roller
Transmission: tremec TKO
Well, you get two from me for a nice repair job, because I don't believe in hacking the rear up just to change a fuel pump.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac ta 5.0l 2005 pontiac gxp 5.3l ls4 dod 2003 GMC Envoy 4.2l
Ya the fuel pump trunk cut out has been a heavly debated hack. Some see nothing wrong with it and others that don't like to cut holes in there floor or just like to do the job the way it was intended right way. Should Gm put a fuel door in maybe but they did not, so the right way is to drop the tank not hack the trunk up.

Last edited by 91blkta; 07-31-2005 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 AM

Fuel Guage Wiring...

TGO Guys,

We've been delayed a little on finishing up the fuel problems. Believe it or not two seperate A.Zones had no 3/8" or 5/16" fuel lines in stock... Had to go to another store to find some...

The wiring for the new pick-up assembly was too short to attach to the 82 harness (which connects at the Driver's Tail Lamp). We had to cut a hole behind the rear seats and install the newer style three prong female connector. The new style set-up goes over the rear axle, through the tin, under the seats and catches the wiring harness behind the fuse panel. Not too bad to complete but time consuming....

We also believe that the previous owner had made improper connections to the fuel pick-up assembly. The canister was plumbed to the return line that goes to the bottom of the tank and the actual return was "waterfalling" gas back in to the top of the pick-up. That would have PROMOTED gas in the canister....

We should be able to move the lines tonight and take a test drive.

FINGERS CROSSED!!
Kurt
Old 08-02-2005, 09:53 PM

Our 350 swap is Offically DONE!

OUR ENGINE SWAP IS COMPLETE!

To the TGO Guys that helped so much...
1bdbrd, 5ltrbtr, 7plagues, 87pontiac, 911rsq, 91blkta, 91formulaSS, 92heritageRS, Air_Adam, AJT86, BAD91CamaroRS, BruceEmbry, bubbz89, Burn, C h r i s, carlover01, chesterfield, Crazy Firebird Kid, Dark Mavis, DaveCS1, DENN_SHAH, dimented24x7, F-BIRD'88, Firebreed, firehawkslplus, Five7Kid, Flyitlikustolit, Gummie, JamesY, Jay, Jim85IROC, JoBy, jojo22, JPrevost, Justin 87 GTA, kdrolt, Klortho, Lo-tec, LT1Guy, MrDude_1, mw66nova, net_coma, nick05, RB83L69, red90bird, rocluvr0013, RS Chris, runnriottt, seanof30306, Sellmanb, ShiftyCapone, shouup, Shroom, Sidewayz28, Silver_Panther, SpeedingPenguin, stenseltizm, STRIFE69, super_kev, transam84, wgripp, XChris1632X, & Very Sorry to anyone we missed....
Thank You!

We finished our modifications to the fuel system (removed the filter & relocated the lines), double checked all the nuts and bolts, changed the oil/filter, and took a short test drive.....This Z-28 is....
SCARRRY FAST & POWERFUL!!!
The first thoughts through my mind when she hit the powerband were; I sure hope we did a good job on those brakes! and Hope Derek tightened those lug nuts!!!

If you start worrying about the brakes less than 1 second after going to WOT.... That's probably a good indicator that the engine is running pretty darn good!

The bog/hesitation at WOT has somehow completely disappeared although it could always return

Derek and I have tons of work left to complete to turn our Beast into a Beauty……
Carb tuning, Wipers, Oil Pressure Gauge, Interior Restoration, Shifter Mods, Etc. Etc. Etc., but for the most part our engine swap is done. The remaining projects are predominately restoration activities. We're concerned that there are other guys out there that need the time and attention so many of you have given to us....and we think we can provide some good help to some of those guys!

Derek and I have built some memories (still ongoing) that will hopefully last his lifetime and you guys have been a big part of making our project successful. THANK YOU.

We really want to keep you guys updated.... We want everyone to see our beast turn into a beauty.... Ideas? What do you guys think? Time to close the thread?

IMPO this is the BEST of the TGO boards.... We've posted a question or two on other boards and often never get a response. Five7Kid...Thanks for doing such a thorough job and dedicating so much time to others!

Thank You Again!
Kurt & Derek Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia

EDIT: I spoke to Five7Kid, This thread gets a LOCK on Friday Eve. We will post one additional GOOD photo of Derek and I in front of his Z-28.
Attached Thumbnails Father & Son 1st Car Swap Project Chronicled-z28_finalfuel_080305_tgo.jpg  

Last edited by kboehringer; 08-03-2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Car: 82 Ponitac Firebird
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 4L60e/TCI TCU
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Kurt & Derek,
You are welcome.
I am glad I could help!

Just shows that when you do it right CC-Carb, it works and works good.

Bruce Embry

Last edited by BruceEmbry; 08-02-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2011 SS/RS
Engine: LS3
Transmission: Tremic6060
Axle/Gears: good enough
Congrats and your welcome, I know i did give as much info as some of the others, but i gave all that i knew, Thank you for letting us read and watch your progress, I hope you and derek have fun, not many early f-bodies around anymore.

brandon
Old 08-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Car: 1989 iroc Z Hardtop
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
Congratulations Kurt and Derek! Ive been following this thread since the beginning, and its really a heartwarming story... im still trying to get a similar project together with my father (im still 19)

FYI if your questioning those brakes, you could always look into the iroc/ta rear from 89-92. They came equipped with 12in disc...
Just something to think about!

There is quite literally TONS of information about restoring and updating the look of these cars in this forum, you just have to look!

Oh and Derek, this ones to you buddy. Take it from me keep your foot out of it! Kick *** with it at the track, but dont be stupid on the streets man... I know youll get this lecture from mom and dad, I sure did!

Have fun with it you guys, and FYI Derek the backseat is too small so dont try... LOL

Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 AM

Car: 94 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: GU5 3.23
Way to go guys! This was such an awesome thread to check up on each and every day. What an amazing feeling it must be to look back on the project and see what you've started with - to what you now have. I'm SURE you two will never forget this, and I hope Derek is driving this Z28 years to come! Again, congrats, you did an amazing job.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:04 AM

Car: 1990 Firebird
Engine: 350 tbi
Transmission: 700R4
let me also say...

congrats enoy the car; and let me echo what rocluvr0013 said, don't street race (thats a risher thing).
Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Congrats guys!!! Hope to see you at the next ACFA meeting!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:57 PM

Beat the lock......

Originally posted by Dark Mavis
What an amazing feeling it must be to look back on the project and see what you've started with - to what you now have.
Dark Mavis,
You're correct....it is an amazing feeling. The exterior is “Cosmetically” not quite as good looking as when we purchased the Z-28, “from a distance” she did look better. After replacing the nose and doing some small body repairs (while we were waiting on the engine at the machine shop), she looks a little like a “Bubba Mobile”. Hopefully, we can get some paint on her before too long.

STRUCTURALLY & MECHANICALLY…. She is 1,000,000 times better than before. Those who have followed the thread know all the things we had to correct; Zip Ties & Bungie Straps holding parts on, Parts Dangling on the ground, Wires Hot Glued, Interior Trashed (Police looking for more drugs), Transmission with only 4 bolts (TOTAL) holding it in, Cut and Welded Torque Arm & Trans. Mount, Brakes Assembled Improperly, Oil Leaks Everywhere, All Lines Capped and Plugged, Vacuum Adv. Dizzy, Antique Carb., Disabled Computer, THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON…..

She’s still kinda ugly today…. But we think we’ll keep her!

Thanks you again to EVERYONE for all the help….

We’re going to post one good photo of My Son and I and our project Z-28 before the Lock Hits this weekend!

Sincerely,
Kurt

P.S. - PHOTO: Today’s project… Installed a shifter and cable assy. from a ’90 RS. The original ’82 Ball had been “Modified” (what else is new?) It wouldn’t work with a TH-700R4 anyway. Derek’s idea with the 4th Gen. Nose Badge.
Attached Thumbnails Father & Son 1st Car Swap Project Chronicled-z28_shifterrepair_080305_tgo.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
This thing will be a good performer... it is built well enough to take out the kids at school and probably play with the LT1's.... that being said... get some track times ASAP

Congratulations, and thank you for allowing us to share in your restoration experience. This is truely a great thread that people will be pointed to for years to come when they want to know about restoring cars

-
Bobby Sellman in Tigard, OR
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Sooo awesome to see that she runs and runs beautifully. I have been a member of thirdgen.org for about 4 years now, and although I don't post much, I do read tons of posts, and I have to say this is by far the best post I have ever read . I have been checking it daily for the last few months and all I can say is you guys (and all you member that helped them out) deserve major props.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:32 AM

Car: '88 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7L v8
Transmission: Automatic
Wow, I feel so incredibly honored to have been included in the list of people you thanked. I don't feel that I deserve any special thanks, all I did was let you guys know how amazing and inspiring is was to see such a father/son team like that. But I was glad to see my name nonethless. Thank YOU for taking on this project together and letting all of us in on such a wonderful experiance. I am certainly glad I got here before the project ended.

I'm glad to see that such a car was saved from the junker. I hate it when such great machines are turned into scrap.

To recap on what rocluvr0013 and red90bird said... Do NOT be stupid with this amazing hunk of sexy machinery you have!!!. I too have gotten this talk from mom and dad, aswell as others, and I've personally seen what a powerful car can do in the wrong hands. Do not be the wrong hands! You and your father have worked too hard on this to run it into the ground.

Although I have an addition to what rocluvr0013 said: there's more room in the back seat if you move the front seats all the way forward.

Now if I could only get my car taken care of...

CONGRATS TO BOTH OF YOU, GOOD LUCK, AND HAPPY DRIVING!!!

Last edited by Shroom; 08-05-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
With Kurt's concurrence, this thread is now being closed. I'll add my congratulations to Kurt & Derek - following your progress has been almost as good as being there!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:55 AM

Final Photo for this thread

Thank you guys!
Sincerely,
Kurt & Derek Boehringer
Attached Thumbnails Father & Son 1st Car Swap Project Chronicled-z28_final_dad-derek.jpg  
Old 12-06-2005, 11:12 AM

One more useful topic on this project:

Link to Home Made Dual Snorkel Post
Old 12-11-2005, 11:31 AM

Update from Kurt:

TGO Friends,

Derek and I are making some good progress toward "Paint" AND "Restoration".

A couple guys over on the TGO Restoration Forum have pointed us in the right direction. For anyone interested..... We're replacing all the seals, rear deck lid (DONE), Interior Seating (DONE), replacing the aftermarket rims with originals, and generally trying to get this car back to overall '82 condition++. We're confident that soon she'll turn some heads for all the RIGHT reasons! LOL

In case you're interested.... Here's the thread, there are a couple new progress photos in there.
Kurt and Derek's Restoration Thread

Sincerely,
Kurt