Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

build a 350 or buy a turn key 350? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
build a 350 or buy a turn key 350? HELP!

hi well iv been wanting to get a new engine for my 87 iroc and well first i was going go with a base zz383 then build that but that will be just to expensive and then i decided to get a base 350/290hp engine from gmpp but i was going add performance parts just like 2k extra worth in components but now im thinking i might not be able to do this.reason why is because im only 12 and i have had NO mechanical experience with cars only apperance lol.

but if i was going buy a turn key i was just going go with the ram jet 350 from gmpp or should i go with a stealth ram engine? i would rather build the engine so i can get more power because i would just add better components but im just not rlly sure if i can. of course i was going buy a couple of the step by step books on building but im afraid i'll get to confused and be stuck. ethier way i go i was going have a shop take out the old 305tpi and drop in the engine and do all the tuning and wiring and all.

i figure the turn key engine would be more expensive but how much of a diffrence would there be if i say built the 350/290 engine but add the components they did on this artical http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/_r..._CrateThis.pdf
along with a full holley stealth ram system. along with everything to get the engine running properly. and how much more would it be to get a ram jet 350 along with everything else to get it running. so what do you think? thanks everyone
or is it cheaper to go with the fast burn 385? or is it more expensive to change from fuel injected to carbed? i would actually love to have the fast burn 385 other then the ram jet 350. i like the sound and looks better of carb's then fuel injected. so what should i do.

i want good overall power for both street drag racing and freeway racing. also about how much is a full exhuast system? also the car would be daily driven but nothing a whole much just probaly a couple miles some days long race's and a trip thats around a 100miles just every 6 months or so. my budget is around 10k for everything just not including the exhuast and suspension. thanks everyone!