Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Engine Swap 2.8V6-305 Need Help Updated

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro RS/88 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8 V6/1975 350 4 bolt main
Transmission: Manuel/Automatic
Axle/Gears: Factory/After Market
Engine Swap 2.8V6-305 Need Help Updated

So my 88 Camaro I just bought. Threw a rod. Everything is orginial excluding what I have replaced which is distributer, brake lines, calipers, radiator. I bought the car for $800.00 non running. Fixed it up and then it was knocking. You can smell the gas in the motor on the dipstick.

I am new and learning about cars. So I really need someone to help me out as in explaining what I may need, what to replace, and how to and so on.

It has the 2.8V6 in it and its a manual. I was going to try to go with a 350 or 327 but for me being a greenhorn seems like alittle too much for me to handle. I want it to be a challange but not to kill me. So I want to drop a 4.3V6 in it.

I don't exactly know what to do, or how, or what I need. So it would be great if I could get some help on here and advice. I'll take all I can get. Email it to me on here if you want to. I don't mind.

And I know I am a female and I know some of you men are probably like " Oh geesh" but I've done a few things on cars, I'm interested, I love this car..love the body style and such. So any help would be great. I have pictures if that helps and if you want I can take some on the motor and such. Or maybe even take a video of it.

I am 100% sure of the motor knocking. But anyways thank you guys and hopefully I get some helpful feed back from this.

Ok soo the stuff above you can mostly forget about because..I changed my mind on the motor. I wanted a V8 of some type anyways. And I don't know why my neighbor (builds race cars) told me I could put a 4.3V6 in it and have it be cheaper because if I gotta modify anything then in my eyes I might as well spend the extra money and throw a V8 in it anyways.

So now the question is if I wanted to do that how would I go about it???? know I have to drop the radiator, and drop the motor....then the drive shaft at the U joints. And I knew I gotta get a new transmission to fit, and new exhaust system which I was planning on anyways. But my question is about the pre computer would I have to get a new one??? Or would I have to do something to that one thats in it??? And I know I'd have to put in a new rear end with a 350 would I have to do the same for a 305???

Last edited by CassieMarie88; 10-23-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Changed Mind On Motor
Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Engine Swap 2.8V6-4.3V6 Need Help

You would probably spend the same amount of money (maybe a little less) on a V6 4.3L as you would a 350. You'd probably kill yourself the same with a 4.3L as you would a 5.7L as well

Could always snag up a 305. Those usually go for cheap too.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
A 4.3l swap is much more difficult than a small block Chevy swap.

Everything you need is available as a bolt-in for the SBC swap - not so with the 4.3. You're going to have to fabricate mounts and exhaust at least. The 4.3 was only used in trucks and minivans, no chassis similarity with 3rd gens.

The 2.8l transmission won't bolt to a 4.3 (but the 4.3 and SBC share the same bellhousing).
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Re: Engine Swap 2.8V6-305 Need Help

So lets say I want to do a swap with a 305 instead of the 4.3V6. What then. I know I have to drop the radiator, and drop the motor....then the drive shaft at the U joints. And I knew I gotta get a new transmission to fit, and new exhaust system which I was planning on anyways. But my question is about the pre computer would I have to get a new one??? Or would I have to do something to that one thats in it??? And I know I'd have to put in a new rear end with a 350 would I have to do the same for a 305???
Old 10-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Car: 83 camaro berlinetta
Engine: 40 over 350
Transmission: 86 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Wow, I don't know where to begin. I did what you want to do with my camaro. I can tell you everything you need to know about everything, except exactly what to do with the computer depending on what you want to do. Does that make sence? Um...your 2.8 is fuel injected, you can either put a v8 with a carberator like alot of guys do (or gals too) or one with fuel injection. If you want the fuel injection, that will be more involved, and I cant tell you what to do exactly with the computer. It really depends on how you want to do it. If you do decide to do injection, then depending on how you go about it, I'm about 100 percent sure you will have to get a different computer, not use the one that is in your car, but ask around on this site if that is positivly the case. otherwise, I can tell everything else. First I'll tell you a couple of things. Your terminology is a little wrong. You'll probly want to "pull" the radiator and motor. You'll want to take the engine and radiator out from the top. And then either Leave the tranny on the motor so that you "pull" it out with it conected to the engine, or you can disconect the tranny, and then "drop" it from under the car. And you will have to "drop" the driveshaft out from underneath as well.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 PM

Car: '88 Camaro (Gone...)

This should answer a lot of your questions: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...swap-read.html

I have been through this, and it's worthwhile in my opinion. However, you have to be realistic about your budget. All the little odds and ends needed for the swap that you don't think about REALLY add up. (Things like new radiator hoses, motor mounts, bellhousing, clutch fork, starter, flywheel, tachometer, etc.)

Your rear end is fine, no need to replace that.

If I did it over again, I would take the advice from the sticky above and get a "donor" car with the engine and transmission, plus the odds and ends (Because EVERYTHING that touches the engine is different between the V6 and V8, except for your clutch slave cylinder!)

Your V6 tachometer will read 33% higher than it should, "should" be replaced.

And you will probably want a new transmission crossmember, since you have been blessed with the '88-'89 "donut" transmission mount Which will be rotted and need replacing, but is not carried anywhere that I know of.

Converting to a carburetor in my opinion is easiest, but if your donor car has TPI that is probably overall the better option for street driving (Plus emissions legal)

Good luck

--Just a note, if money is a concern it will probably be most economical to rebuild/replace your V6.

Last edited by Primetime91; 10-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Primetime91
This should answer a lot of your questions: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...swap-read.html

I have been through this, and it's worthwhile in my opinion. However, you have to be realistic about your budget. All the little odds and ends needed for the swap that you don't think about REALLY add up. (Things like new radiator hoses, motor mounts, bellhousing, clutch fork, starter, flywheel, tachometer, etc.)

Your rear end is fine, no need to replace that.

If I did it over again, I would take the advice from the sticky above and get a "donor" car with the engine and transmission, plus the odds and ends (Because EVERYTHING that touches the engine is different between the V6 and V8, except for your clutch slave cylinder!)

Your V6 tachometer will read 33% higher than it should, "should" be replaced.

And you will probably want a new transmission crossmember, since you have been blessed with the '88-'89 "donut" transmission mount Which will be rotted and need replacing, but is not carried anywhere that I know of.

Converting to a carburetor in my opinion is easiest, but if your donor car has TPI that is probably overall the better option for street driving (Plus emissions legal)

Good luck

--Just a note, if money is a concern it will probably be most economical to rebuild/replace your V6.

Wow! Thank you so much for your information. I am sure I can handle this just fine. I may be a female and I may not know all there is to know about cars and mechanics as of right now but I am interested I learn more and more every day. I enjoy working on cars and I think its very interesting.

And yea, see at the beginning my post was about switching from a 2.8V6-4.3V6 so I didn't read that post or even think of it.

But now seeing how I wanted to put a V8 in it anyway and seeing that it will be easier than the 4.3 then yes I read it. And copied and pasted so I can look at it when ever I need to. Oh and the donor car is a great idea makes it simpler and possibly slightly cheaper...I already made the plans to talk to a few yards and see where I can get a descent one.

And the cost I have considered all the work I done on this camaro cost me $200.00 so far. And even though I payed all my bills and such I still managed to throw money into it. It may take some time but after all its my car, my money, my time. I have another car to drive so its not a HUGE deal. Thank you though...you've gave me some good info. But yea I gotta go look up some more stuff and talk to more people. Byes

Last edited by CassieMarie88; 10-23-2009 at 10:44 PM.