LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Lt1 swap help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 trans am gta
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Lt1 swap help

I got my 88 trans am gta that im doing an lt1 engine swap. Motor came out of an 93 camaro. My question is, is there a way to use,my 3rd gen alternator on my lt1? It doesnt fit the bracket. But I bought a brand new one a few weeks back. Also, there are 2 o2 sensors, the one before the cat and on on the cat. Would deleting the cat and o2 sensor cause my car to run like crap? All in all, this engine swap has proven to be the most difficult of them all. Currently in the process of going through the wiring harness and getting rid of what is not needed. Can someone else that has done an lt1 conversion tell me how theirs went??

As always, thanks! Ride on.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73
Re: Lt1 swap help

Use the LT1 alt

Front O2s monitor how the engine is doing, rear O2s monitor the cat. If you're dumping the cat and dont have emissions testing you just need the front(s). Without a tune deleted emissions equipment will cause the car to run poorly. You have to flash it to remove VATS anyways, so its not a big deal

Its the easiest of non-stock EFI conversions because so much stock stuff fits
SBC clamshells, complete 4th gen powertrain, big 3rd gen SBC headers, custom trans crossmember, custom harness, flash computer, attach fuel lines, build Y-pipe, done

Also, I recommend using a 94-95 PCM/harness over the 93 stuff. If you really want to put a good system on it, look to the eficonnection 24x system
Old 07-24-2015, 02:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Originally Posted by sheachopper
Currently in the process of going through the wiring harness and getting rid of what is not needed. Can someone else that has done an lt1 conversion tell me how theirs went??

As always, thanks! Ride on.
I did a few video tours of my harness when it was completed. I then installed it and finished and fine tuned it but have not done a final video on it yet. Once that is done I will post the vid on youtube. I went a different route than others as I installed the new harness with all wires and after summer when the motor comes out for redo I will tidy up the harness to exact lengths and delete all the stuff I didn't use (will be nice because it's quite the rats nest in my blower motor box). Not sure if the vids would in ur case but I could send them if need be.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS

Originally Posted by Pocket
Use the LT1 alt

Front O2s monitor how the engine is doing, rear O2s monitor the cat. If you're dumping the cat and dont have emissions testing you just need the front(s). Without a tune deleted emissions equipment will cause the car to run poorly. You have to flash it to remove VATS anyways, so its not a big deal

Its the easiest of non-stock EFI conversions because so much stock stuff fits
SBC clamshells, complete 4th gen powertrain, big 3rd gen SBC headers, custom trans crossmember, custom harness, flash computer, attach fuel lines, build Y-pipe, done

Also, I recommend using a 94-95 PCM/harness over the 93 stuff. If you really want to put a good system on it, look to the eficonnection 24x system
Which O2 is considered the front? Passenger or driver side? The driver side is right next to the stock third gen 02 sensor on the exhaust manifold and would be easy to use. I was thinking of having a second one welded in on the stock third gen y-pipe. Not sure if it would help.

What do you mean custom trans crossmember? I've got the original hooked up and it looks fine but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm in the process of doing the harness now. Basically hooked everything up to the motor, de-loomed everything, removed AC stuff and taped the wires back should I need them later, and re-loomed everything to fit correctly.

Next is splicing, though I collected the car side connectors, and have hacked the stock third gen harness retaining all the main ignition power wires and the majority of the third gen C100 connector and the engine harness side of the C207 connector so that the final harness will be relatively plug and play.