Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

V6-V8 Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88' Camaro
Engine: 2.8L V6 MFI
Transmission: T5 Manual
V6-V8 Swap Questions

As my 1988 Camaro's V6 is aging, I'm pondering engine swap options, and have been eagerly reading pretty much every thread I can find on the subject. I see I have lots of options, but I've pretty much set my mind on the stock 350 TPI V8 swap. However, I have some questions on topics I haven't seen covered yet...

First, the donor car. From my readings I have decided that a donor car is a desirable technique for swapping, and the best choice for me, since I have no desire to search hither and yonder (either salvaging nor purchasing new) for the parts I would need to perform the swap.
I know that there is only a .7 liter displacement difference between the 305 and the 350, and I'd like to know where that difference is made. Is the bore size larger in the 350, or is the bore size the same but the stroke longer??? Do both use basically the same block?
The reason I ask that is because as I search for my donor car, I am wondering: If I had more luck finding a 305 donor, rather than a 350, would it still be viable donor for swapping parts (brackets, general accessories, exhaust, etc.). If I find a 350 donor, that would be great, but would it be possible to bolt up 305 brackets, accessories, exhaust, etc. onto either a rebuilt 350 or a crate 350, if I can find a decent 305 donor?

Second, is there more involvement regarding the A/C system during the swap other than changing the lines going to and from the A/C compressor, since my V6 compressor bolts to the drivers side of the block and the V8 bolts to the passengers side? Do I simply need to change those lines (which would be shorter) than what I have now?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 PM

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 2.8 to 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: V6-V8 Swap Questions

No offense, but it sounds like you need to do a bit research before get into this journey.

First, what are your goals? Daily driver? Street? Strip? Drag? Budget? Time Frame? Knowledge of engines/engine building? Since the variables are vastly different with each approach, it is nice to know some background intention.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 87 Formula, 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi, 305tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

The externals on the 305 to 350 are identical. The bore size is smaller on the 305 and is NOT thick enough to be bored to the 4.00in of the 350(the 305 bore escapes me at the moment).
All of the accessories and manifolds will interchange.
The easiest way to do your swap is find a running v8 car and go from there. The trans from your car will not work either so you will need to find a 5 speed car or the trans separately if you find an auto car.
As for the AC, just using the correct lines and the V8 compressor and you will be fine.
As Stephen said though, start researching. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by stephenscamaro
No offense, but it sounds like you need to do a bit research before get into this journey.

First, what are your goals? Daily driver? Street? Strip? Drag? Budget? Time Frame? Knowledge of engines/engine building? Since the variables are vastly different with each approach, it is nice to know some background intention.
I have been reading lots of threads (scores of them in fact), and again, I have lots of information that I have learned from them, so the inquiry in this post is a just one small part of my research that I have done so far, and plan to do in the coming months. I have been reading for a couple of months already now, and I am not planning to actually do the swap for another 18 months or so (provided my engine nor transmission fail before then). So best case scenario, I'll have another 18 months to research and plan before I perform the swaps. I have no issues with either my engine or transmission at the moment, they run great right now, but I realize that they are 28 years old and won't last forever, and the more prepared I am for when one(or both) dies, the less stressed I will be when that happens

My goal is a daily driver (as it is currently my daily driver), on a moderate budget. I'm looking to spend no more than $3500 on the engine swap, and the same on a transmission swap. I am NOT seeking excessive hp. What I'll get from a stock 350 tpi will be plenty for me. Again I have done research towards transmission options, and I won't discuss my plans for that here, since this thread is for engine swaps, but be sure, I am aware that using a T5 behind a 350 is not feasible. I'm not planning on doing any of the rebuilding of the engine alone, I'll have experienced help. I have yet to speak to him in great detail about my intentions, but I plan to do so in the near future, and when I do surely I'll get some good info from him as well.

All I want to know at this point is whether it is possible for me to use a 305 donor for the external (outside the engine block itself) components of the swap.

Last edited by sparkerk; 02-09-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jkris53406
The externals on the 305 to 350 are identical. The bore size is smaller on the 305 and is NOT thick enough to be bored to the 4.00in of the 350(the 305 bore escapes me at the moment).
All of the accessories and manifolds will interchange.
The easiest way to do your swap is find a running v8 car and go from there. The trans from your car will not work either so you will need to find a 5 speed car or the trans separately if you find an auto car.
As for the AC, just using the correct lines and the V8 compressor and you will be fine.
As Stephen said though, start researching. Good luck!
Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to know
I posted this today because I may have found a running, or almost running (it ran when it was parked 2 years ago) 1986' z28 in Salt Lake that I might be able to purchase. They're asking $600, so I figured that might not be a bad deal for a donor... I don't know if it is a 305 or a 350, so that's the main reason for this post... to learn if i might still be able to use it if it is only a 305.

As I assured stephenscamaro above, I am aware that I will not be able to feasibly reuse a T5 behind the 350. I'm looking into using a T56, because I want to continue to have a manual transmission. I'm aware of the factors to consider for that swap. I've already done lots of reading, and I consider myself nowhere near finished. I don't plan on making any changes until summer of 2017 (provided I can get another 30,000 or so miles out of my original powertrain that has 210,000 right now), so hopefully I'll have a lot more time to make plans and prepare.

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by sparkerk; 02-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM

Engine: 2.8 to 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by sparkerk
Well, as I said in the first post, I have been reading lots of threads (scores of them in fact), and again, I have lots of information that I have learned from them, so the inquiry in this post is a just one small part of my research that I have done so far, and plan to do in the coming months. I have been reading for a couple of months already now, and I am not planning to actually do the swap for another 18 months or so (provided my engine nor transmission fail before then). So I'm planning on another 18 months of research and planning before this actually happens.

My goal is a daily driver (as it is currently my daily driver), on a moderate budget. I'm looking to spend no more than $3500 on the engine swap, and the same on a transmission swap. I am NOT seeking big hp. What I'll get from a stock 350 tpi will be plenty for me. Again I have done research towards transmission options, and I won't discuss my plans for that here, since this thread is for engine swaps, but be sure, I am aware that using a T5 behind a 350 is not feasible. I'm not planning on doing any of the rebuilding of the engine myself... Again, not the topic of my thread.

All I want to know at this point is whether it is possible for me to use a 305 donor for the external (outside the engine block itself) components of the swap.
Well, lets think about it in this view point. A 305 is less cubic inches than a 350. Cubic inches or CID is the base line for your power. A hot 305 produces the same power as a stock 350. So, if you start with a 350 to begin with, you start out with more power baseline. If you plan on building the engine or having it built professionally, it costs no more to have the 350 stroked out to a 383. That is 78 more cubic inches in the exact same weight block, making A LOT more power, for the same cost of rebuilding and machining a 305 or 350 block, which is essential. You can build a mean street engine that performs reliably and gets reasonable gas mileage, so it is all in your view point.

I always have this thought process: If i am going to put my hard earned money into something, i want the best and most I can get out of. Biggest bang for my buck.

And I like bragging rights!

Edit- the brackets I am using came from a 305, so yes they will work. if you need pics, hit me up and ill get you some

Last edited by stephenscamaro; 02-09-2016 at 05:04 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-09-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 1991 RS
Engine: LB9 LO3
Transmission: 5 speeds

Not sure if you're aware or even care, but the front accessories on an 86 will be the old v belt system, not serpentine. It will also be a mass air car instead of speed density. Just an FYI.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by stephenscamaro
Well, lets think about it in this view point. A 305 is less cubic inches than a 350. Cubic inches or CID is the base line for your power. A hot 305 produces the same power as a stock 350. So, if you start with a 350 to begin with, you start out with more power baseline. If you plan on building the engine or having it built professionally, it costs no more to have the 350 stroked out to a 383. That is 78 more cubic inches in the exact same weight block, making A LOT more power, for the same cost of rebuilding and machining a 305 or 350 block, which is essential. You can build a mean street engine that performs reliably and gets reasonable gas mileage, so it is all in your view point.

I always have this thought process: If i am going to put my hard earned money into something, i want the best and most I can get out of. Biggest bang for my buck.

And I like bragging rights!

Edit- the brackets I am using came from a 305, so yes they will work. if you need pics, hit me up and ill get you some

That is great insight. Thanks for pointing out that as an option, I will have to seriously consider that! Just for curiosity's sake, how many more horses would that give me and what might be gas mileage? That's great advice
Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ty92Z
Not sure if you're aware or even care, but the front accessories on an 86 will be the old v belt system, not serpentine. It will also be a mass air car instead of speed density. Just an FYI.
I was not aware of that actually, and I sort of care... haha! In fact, I would prefer the vbelt system. My reasoning stems from a horrendous summer I had trying to keep my serpentine belt on... about mid summer my power steering pump bracket broke on me... luckily my dad welds so he fixed it up until I could get one off of a salvage, and during the process I had the serpentine come off several times. It's all fixed now, but it was frustrating to have to park the car and call dad for him to bring me a spare belt (if I didn't have one in the back), because I lost all accessories with no belt on, where it would have been nice to have had a v belt system so that if only one belt or accessory was out of service, I could still have say my water pump running, to at least get the car home without overheating it. So long story short, I wouldn't mind having the vbelt system in the slightest. To me it makes more sense to run the accessories off of that type of system than one belt running all

As for the mass air versus speed density, my 2.8 runs with a mass air flow, so i'm fine with having that as well.

Thanks again for pointing that out to me. I'm learning a lot from you guys and I still have a lot to learn
Old 02-10-2016, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

If one external part fits one small block chevy, it will fit all small block chevys.
So the brackets, pulleys, etc from a 72 307 will fit a 98 vortec 350 if you wanted to do that. lol.

The 305 vs 350.. It's the bore size. Both uses a 3.48" stroke but the 305 has a 3.736" vs the 350's 4.000" bore. Max overbore is 0.060"
Old 02-10-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 87 Formula, 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi, 305tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

I think $600 is a great price for a donor car. Btw you could only get 350s in 87 and up cars so it is a 305 unless someone swapped it. I wouldn't hesitate on that though, you could make your money back parting the rest out.