Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

2.8 5spd to 305 5spd swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.8 5spd to 305 5spd swap

I just bought a 87 camaro with the 2.8 5spd for next to nothing, unfortunately the car runs rough(didn't at all when I bought it but 15min later it did run....sort of) long story short I have an 83 firebird with a good 305 t5 combo. Please refrain from telling me to swap a 350 instead of the 305, that's in the cards but right now I have a good 305 and not a big 350. My questions are about the motor mounts, I've read and understand that I need to move them too the forward most holes and that they are difficult to get into. Would it work as well if I just welded them to the chassis in the correct spot of course? Also the camaro has a hydraulic clutch and the firebird a mechanical. Having read that there is no way to put the hydraulic on my old t5 I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of where to drill the holes for the zbar and clutch assembly through the firewall( also if it's self explanatory once I start tearing into the v8 car just let me know I've crawled underneath it looking but visibility under there sucks). As far as the pedal assembly I'm confident I can swap them out fairly easy. Another question is in regards to fuel, my old car had a mechanical pump and the new a electric, I've read and understand that the fuel lines come on opposite sides of the engine compaartment and that the pressure is to high and I will have to get a 3port regulator but will the v6 pump have enough volume for a v8? Also will I need to swap my throttle cables out? A lot of questions have probobally already been answered but after searching for hours I still wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask. This is a non emissions swap and I've already swapped to a m4me quadrajet and a non c.c hei on the 305. As far as wiring goes I'm not concerned with the gauges working as I will figure something out for them (have a tach, and will prob just pick up a 3pod sunpro set fo

r everything else). Any heads up on stuff to look out for or any other parts I'm going to need to swap as well are greatly appreciated

She was ready for the road again until this happened. I bought the camaro for less than i could get a hood and windshield
Old 07-04-2016, 12:22 PM

Re: 2.8 5spd to 305 5spd swap

Originally Posted by I-77 Camaro
I just bought a 87 camaro with the 2.8 5spd for next to nothing, unfortunately the car runs rough(didn't at all when I bought it but 15min later it did run....sort of) long story short I have an 83 firebird with a good 305 t5 combo. Please refrain from telling me to swap a 350 instead of the 305, that's in the cards but right now I have a good 305 and not a big 350. My questions are about the motor mounts, I've read and understand that I need to move them too the forward most holes and that they are difficult to get into. Would it work as well if I just welded them to the chassis in the correct spot of course? Also the camaro has a hydraulic clutch and the firebird a mechanical. Having read that there is no way to put the hydraulic on my old t5 I was wondering if anyone had some pictures of where to drill the holes for the zbar and clutch assembly through the firewall( also if it's self explanatory once I start tearing into the v8 car just let me know I've crawled underneath it looking but visibility under there sucks). As far as the pedal assembly I'm confident I can swap them out fairly easy. Another question is in regards to fuel, my old car had a mechanical pump and the new a electric, I've read and understand that the fuel lines come on opposite sides of the engine compaartment and that the pressure is to high and I will have to get a 3port regulator but will the v6 pump have enough volume for a v8? Also will I need to swap my throttle cables out? A lot of questions have probobally already been answered but after searching for hours I still wasn't sure so I figured I'd ask. This is a non emissions swap and I've already swapped to a m4me quadrajet and a non c.c hei on the 305. As far as wiring goes I'm not concerned with the gauges working as I will figure something out for them (have a tach, and will prob just pick up a 3pod sunpro set fo

r everything else). Any heads up on stuff to look out for or any other parts I'm going to need to swap as well are greatly appreciated

She was ready for the road again until this happened. I bought the camaro for less than i could get a hood and windshield

Got the 6 out without any major hassles. Cleaning the engine compartment today and then going to move and weld my motor mounts
Old 07-09-2016, 12:27 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Don't weld the engine mounts to the K-member.

There's a better way (that took me 10 years to discover):

Name:  IMG_2016.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  55.1 KB

Unbolt the K-member from the body and take the engine/trans/cradle out together. Then you don't have to mess with the engine mounts.

The brake lines changed from SAE to metric between '83 & '87. You'll have to decide which one you want to keep, of find adapter fittings.

I'm not personally familiar with the clutch assemblies (only 3rd gen clutch I did was swapping in an LS1/T56). Since you have both cars, though, you should be able to swap the parts you need, and compare the donor to the receptor to figure out where to drill, etc.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Oh, the V6 in-tank electric fuel pump will support a stock '83 305. When it needs to be replaced, just put a Walbro 255 in its place. The V6/EFI fuel line routing is better than the carb V8 routing, anyway. I've never tried it, but I've heard of guys just using the factory style mechanical pump with its return line as the pressure regulator.

You might be able to get the V6 throttle cable to work, but it makes more sense to swap over the V8 carb cable - not that hard to do.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Don't weld the engine mounts to the K-member.

There's a better way (that took me 10 years to discover):

Unbolt the K-member from the body and take the engine/trans/cradle out together. Then you don't have to mess with the engine mounts.

The brake lines changed from SAE to metric between '83 & '87. You'll have to decide which one you want to keep, of find adapter fittings.

I'm not personally familiar with the clutch assemblies (only 3rd gen clutch I did was swapping in an LS1/T56). Since you have both cars, though, you should be able to swap the parts you need, and compare the donor to the receptor to figure out where to drill, etc.
I've been looking into doing that. I don't know if that's something I can tackle in the driveway though
Old 07-11-2016, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Oh, the V6 in-tank electric fuel pump will support a stock '83 305. When it needs to be replaced, just put a Walbro 255 in its place. The V6/EFI fuel line routing is better than the carb V8 routing, anyway. I've never tried it, but I've heard of guys just using the factory style mechanical pump with its return line as the pressure regulator.

You might be able to get the V6 throttle cable to work, but it makes more sense to swap over the V8 carb cable - not that hard to do.
thanks for the info
Old 11-14-2016, 12:58 PM

thanks for the info
So I got the swap done, changed it over too a hydraulic clutch in the process. Everything was good I thought. Got a temporary tag for it and it started knocking. Cam went flat and sent metal through the motor. After resisting the urge to scrap the car for a couple days I picked up a 350. It's an lt9 4 bolt main out of a g30 motor home. Got it torn apart yesterday and found I'm going to need a new crank($149 @ AutoZone 5/6 bearing was destroyed everything else was good) I'm planning on throwing some new rings on it before I put it back together even though I think I could get away with not. My question is in regard to the heads. The 261 heads that came on it look to be worn out and I've never seen so much sludge I'm not going to use them. I was wondering if anyone had tried using the 416 heads on an stock 80s 350. I know it's not ideal but Im trying use what I have. I've ordered an 1102 cam from summit so I won't be saddled with the stock stick and hopefully it will help keep the pressure down. A set of junkyard vortecs is another option that I know would be better but as is the case with almost everyone budget concerns make the 416 heads much more appealing considering I have them already and the spread bore intake to go with it. If this combo is going to have to run on 100 octane I'm not interested but 93 is acceptable. Anyone who has tried this I'd love to hear your input. Didn't want my first engine build to be out of necessity but the 305 forced my hand

These are my pistons I'll be using cleaned obviously<br/>

I'm guessing this crank is shot because it's not smooth like the other ones
Old 11-14-2016, 01:58 PM

So I got the swap done, changed it over too a hydraulic clutch in the process. Everything was good I thought. Got a temporary tag for it and it started knocking. Cam went flat and sent metal through the motor. After resisting the urge to scrap the car for a couple days I picked up a 350. It's an lt9 4 bolt main out of a g30 motor home. Got it torn apart yesterday and found I'm going to need a new crank($149 @ AutoZone 5/6 bearing was destroyed everything else was good) I'm planning on throwing some new rings on it before I put it back together even though I think I could get away with not. My question is in regard to the heads. The 261 heads that came on it look to be worn out and I've never seen so much sludge I'm not going to use them. I was wondering if anyone had tried using the 416 heads on an stock 80s 350. I know it's not ideal but Im trying use what I have. I've ordered an 1102 cam from summit so I won't be saddled with the stock stick and hopefully it will help keep the pressure down. A set of junkyard vortecs is another option that I know would be better but as is the case with almost everyone budget concerns make the 416 heads much more appealing considering I have them already and the spread bore intake to go with it. If this combo is going to have to run on 100 octane I'm not interested but 93 is acceptable. Anyone who has tried this I'd love to hear your input. Didn't want my first engine build to be out of necessity but the 305 forced my hand

These are my pistons I'll be using cleaned obviously<br/>

I'm guessing this crank is shot because it's not smooth like the other ones
Nevermind after reading more I'm going to the junkyard to find some 062s
Old 11-19-2016, 06:48 AM

If your still around I am swapping a 5 speed into my 82 camaro and need info on how the hyd. clutch setup is mounted. the slave unit the clutch pedal hooks to has me baffled. Anyone have any pictures on how its mounted would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by RonH
If your still around I am swapping a 5 speed into my 82 camaro and need info on how the hyd. clutch setup is mounted. the slave unit the clutch pe
dal hooks to has me baffled. Anyone have any pictures on how its mounted would be greatly appreciated.

This is how the master cylinder attaches to the pedal assembaly
Are you looking for an engine bay pic of where the master cylinder goes through the firewall? If so I will take one when I pull my motor again
Master coming through firewall
Old 11-21-2016, 01:53 PM

yes through firewall and how it mounts on firewall in engine compartment. ty for your help
Old 11-24-2016, 06:00 AM

Just seen picture of where slave unit goes through floor. Never would have guess that makes more sense now. ty