Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

V6 to a V8

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 to a V8

Ok hi everyone I'm new here and don't know a lot about cars but I'm willing to learn! I have an 83 camaro Berlinetta with the V6 motor and a T-5 transmission I have a 350 with a 0.40 bore which makes it a 358 what I need to know is will this motor work with the T-5 transmission any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: V6 to a V8

Originally Posted by Matts85
Ok hi everyone I'm new here and don't know a lot about cars but I'm willing to learn! I have an 83 camaro Berlinetta with the V6 motor and a T-5 transmission I have a 350 with a 0.40 bore which makes it a 358 what I need to know is will this motor work with the T-5 transmission any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance!
With the appropriate flywheel clutch and a sbc bellhousing it will bolt up to the t5. Here in a sec a million guys will tell you not to do it since the T5 is apparently made of glass.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi

Originally Posted by armybyrd
With the appropriate flywheel clutch and a sbc bellhousing it will bolt up to the t5. Here in a sec a million guys will tell you not to do it since the T5 is apparently made of glass.
The T5 is not the strongest, true. But just like glass, if you treat it right, it will last a long time. I've had no problems with a V6 T5 behind my 350(yet). But, I don't abuse it. The gear ratios are a bit short with my 3.73 rear though. I find I have to shift from 1-2 almost immediately when driving.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Idk if your car is a mechanical clutch but if it is swap it to a hydraulic system while your in there. My firebird was a mechanical and when I switched it over to the Camaro I got the hydraulic bellhousing and it's great. The pedal doesn't bind anymore. As far as the rest of the swap it's fairly straight forward if you take your time with it. If you have questions I'd be more than happy to help since I just did the swap itself (motor blew up basically on the first drive but the swap was a sucsess)