European Region For all of our Third Gen brothers and sisters across the pond!

Moving to UK

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Moving to UK

I will be moving to the UK from the US in a few months. The plan is to bring my 88 gta with me. I am trying to look into what all I need to change about the lights to make it legal to register. I've been reading up on what all the MOT checks and I don't really think I'll have much of an issue besides with maybe the emissions check. I've been trying to do some research on the lights and I know I need to wire up a reverse fog light and I believe make the rear turn signals amber in color. I am not fully sure as what needs to change for the front besides re-aiming the headlights. Any information that you guys might be able to supply would be much appreciated. I'm just trying to make sure I get things done the right way so I have no issues.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR
Re: Moving to UK

There was a thread about this some time ago. Try some searches on UK head lights etc.
Some depends on how long you will be there. Do you have to reregister the car? I haven't live there in a long time but I had a Firebird and never had any issue with the light lens color or the headlights. Don't know if smog is needed on older cars. Where are you going?
Old 09-10-2015, 03:44 PM

I will be going to Lakenheath for four years. They inspect anything made after sometime in the sixties from what I've found. I've read a few things I've found but some of it is conflicting information. I've got what I need to do to the rear pretty much figured out and I believe I understand what to do for the sidelights but not 100% sure. From what I've gathered the headlights just need to be reaimed
Old 09-15-2015, 12:47 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4

Hi,

The front headlights can be realigned which is pretty straight forward.

For the rear fog light I hook one up just for the test and then remove it is it ruins the look of the car. I just wire it into the rear demister which is a 2 second job and requires no tools other than to bear the wire going to the light.

The rear turn signals must be amber so if you have a GTA with the original rear lights which are all red, the easiest solution is to get a set of Firebird ones with the amber turns and swap them over. I would try sourcing these in the US and bring them with you to save the hassle and expense of trying to find them here.

If you have amber running lights on the front these have to be disconnected but still used for the front turn signal.

Emissions should be straightforward provided your car is running ok.

The only other issue I have had is with the parking break which on rear calipers, even the later PBR ones, is of pretty poor design. Some garages will let you off but I have had trouble recently which has resulted in my car being off the road until I can get them up to par - My rear brakes are all new so it's not something that is worn out. I'm looking in to a hydraulic solution with will be allowed provided I keep the cable in place also.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Robert
Old 10-20-2015, 03:48 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Procharged 350tpi
Transmission: uprated 700R4

I may be able to help if you don't mind a drive down to Colchester in Essex to my MOT centre (as do several US service men from Lakenheath and a couple of other sites) as a GTA owner and us car club member we are very "yank" friendly
emissions wont be a problem as non-cat. test is easy pass for these cars
headlights are flat beam so ok. selective colour blindness helps with other lights
call 01206 871846 (Anglia Tyre and MOT) ask for John Bryden
Old 11-01-2015, 04:59 PM

That would be great. I wont be there until feb though so i will call around then and see what can happen.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:15 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Procharged 350tpi
Transmission: uprated 700R4

cool, look forward to seeing you and the car