Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Cat and Pollution gear delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R
Axle/Gears: POSI 3:27s
Cat and Pollution gear delete

I Just did from the Cat back new exhaust today. The Cat is in rough shape and also the Y-Pipe as well.
Can I delete the pollution gear and also thinking of deleting the Cat but don't want that pinky annoying sound.
What do you guys reccomend?

Also when I replace the Y-Pipe and deal with the Cat, I am thinking of a header as well.
Any recommendations on a decent header for a little engine improvement?
Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: Cat and Pollution gear delete

Deleting the emissions equipment is a federal offense. That said, I have yet to see a single case prosecuted. You also will fail an emissions inspection if the equipment isn't in place. Aside from that and the CEL lighting up with emissions fault codes, as long as you do it right, there is no effect on engine performance from removing most smog equipment. One exception would be the EGR valve. If you're running an otherwise stock engine and controls, you may have an issue with cylinder head temps running high and may even get some pinging without the EGR valve working.

Also, you shouldn't delete the equipment thinking you'll get big power gains. Aside from the AIR pump which eats about 3-4hp, the emissions systems on these cars were designed to go inop at full throttle and have no effect on engine power. The reason I see the equipment deleted most often is due to failure of the expensive components that have no benefit to engine performance. It's hard to justify spending $250 on a new cat if you don't have to pass an emissions inspection.

As far as headers go for the thirdgen F body, Dyno Don makes the best looking set of headers for these cars that I know of.

BTW, my 87 IROC Z28 hotrod has no emissions equipment installed on the engine I built. I don't have to pass inspections where I live.

Last edited by ASE doc; 08-20-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:59 PM

Ya no emission tests where I live. The Cat Is bad so like you said I don't want to spend $250 on a new one if is not necessary.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I bought a set of Hooker 2460 headers and matching Y pipe (16767) on the recommendations of other site members. This is a non emissions set of headers. They do make ones with the smog tubes though. Not as nice as Dyno Don's stuff, but certainly more affordable if you're on a budget. I have not had a chance to install mine yet. My current system is just a cat back flowmaster system with the stock dual cats hollowed out and the smog tubes cut off and holes welded shut. I removed all the emissions equip on mine and had the re-tune on my prom. (registered classic in PA doesn't require emissions test) I would suggest running a cat or cats though. I can certainly tell that the exhaust smell is more potent without them. And if you are removing your emissions equipment you can do better on price than $250 for a stock style cat. I'd just weld up a universal fit magnaflow cat that matches your y pipe and cat back tube sizes....or have a muffler shop do it.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Thanks Greenyone. I found a New Universal Cat that's exact same size just needs one side flange made. It's $100 cheaper then the recommended one.

I need a Y-Pipe as well. And wouldn't mind a new header. Where did you get yours?

So if I take all the pollution year off, I have to weld the holes on the Cat shut is this what you meant?
Is there anything else I need to do-say with the EGR VALVE??... so I don't get any codes or poor performance?
Thanks
Old 08-21-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 91 G92 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 342

I got my Hooker Y pipe on Amazon, but they are about the same price on Summit, Jegs, Hawks etc. It's specifically made to fit the hooker headers and eliminate the cat, or it can be cut/modified to fit a cat if you so please. Keep in mind you'll need a factory style Y pipe if you are still running stock manifolds.

I removed all the emissions equipment from my car when I rebuilt the engine. EGR, smog pump, air tubes etc. If you choose to do the same you'll need a few things. EGR block off plate, a re-tune on your chip, manifold plugs and you have to account for the loss of a pulley with your belt setup.

The plumbing that goes from under the hood down to the cats will need to be capped off. I chose to cut it off of the cats, remove all the now useless plumbing and weld up the holes left in the cats.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 PM

Hey what Cat are you guys using off the Summitt site...part number?
They are pretty cheap compared to what I can get them for in Canada here even after I pay the exchange and shipping.
I need to be same length as stocks since I have all new pipe after the Cat.
Thanks!