Are buying extra parts with a car in good condition worth the extra money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am
Engine: LG4
Transmission: 200c
Are buying extra parts with a car in good condition worth the extra money?

Sorry if im posting in the wrong location but you guys have helped me out a couple times before with great advice. Im wondering if buying extra parts such as taillights, bumpers, a hood, steering console, and many other miscellaneous parts would be a good idea of the car is already in good condition? If so, what parts should I look to buy if available. The parts have a little wear on them but nothing big. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r
Re: Are buying extra parts with a car in good condition worth the extra money?

well i picked up the ground effects for the under the door (pass n driver sides) for 50 pair
picked up set of T tops 25$ just incase ..yanno hail or rocks n such..it really depends on whats rare to find in your area..front nose since we ALL bottom out on this time to time..

in any case...its all about how rare it is to get in your area..and cost of shipping sometimes is unreal..
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

I have bought 2 sets of ttops, and over 5 sets of factory subs just in case of them breaking. Id buy as much as you want. Once these parts are gone they are gone. easier to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

If they're hard to find or common fail parts, at a good price, excellent condition, and I had the room then yes. Otherwise you should still be able to collect parts that you think you would need over time, and also when you have the time to check them out more thoroughly. I have extra glass and tail lights, but keeping those takes up quite a bit of room and can be easily damaged. Same goes for hoods, T-Tops, bumpers, rims and on and on. Over the years I've seen people throw parts away that they can't sell. Many times it's because they're not absolutely mint, and/or nobody wants them at the particular time that the seller wants to get rid of them. I would wonder too where the parts came from and if they were original to the car and were replaced with better, or bought as a back up etc. Often times you'll find half the parts you buy in a group have defects that aren't actually usable (Ie. cracks/broken clips etc.) and/or make them difficult to sell individually. You should be up to date on what they actually sell for which does vary quite a bit, and many times price is based more on convenience/need than what you see them listed for. I would pick up rebuildable parts like carbs, alts, starters etc., at core prices, have them rebuilt locally, and on hand if/when you ever need them. Sometimes extra parts can also be a distraction from the purchase of the car, but other times it's a positive for both parties especially when the seller wants to get out of the car altogether.