Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Doing the shaker assembly mod for real

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi
Re: Doing the shaker assembly mod for real

Originally Posted by kccisco
this may have been asked already but is there a way to get this to fit the 305 engine. iv got an extra hood i get to butcher and see if it works
Wouldn't be anydifferent than doing it to a 350. All Gen 1 small locks, 283-350, have the same external physical dimensions.

The only difference would be, how tall the intake manifold your using , is.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 transam
Engine: 76 chevy 350 carb
Transmission: t-5 3.23

thanks for the help.

another question, do you have to make the shaker hood piece or is there a company that makes it? cause all the cars that had shakers that are in the junkyard in my town have already been parted out
Old 06-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Car: 92 25th Anniversary RS
Engine: 305ci 5.0L V8

if by shaker piece u mean the air cleaner assembly, those came from the factory. i havent been able to find a place that makes aftermarket ones.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 AM

Car: 85 transam
Engine: 76 chevy 350 carb
Transmission: t-5 3.23

o. well it was worth a shot
Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM
ino

Car: 87 firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4

That is real nice and bad a**
Old 08-24-2008, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383 Vortec HSR
Transmission: Pro-Built 700-R4;Vig 4000 stall
Axle/Gears: Moser M9 9" / 3.89

Looks good so far!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 AM

taht is ****ing sweet. i thought about making one for my z28 using a hemi shaker but didn't think it would look right so i got a cowl instead. really nice job
Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!... Great to see this site is still out there.. Hey wilyk9 you still following this thread?... I haven't looked at it in 2 years. The T/A still sits in my garage with the shaker and all. Did you ever get yours fully completed? If anyone out there still needs any info on this mod, I'll try my best..I hope to get the car started this spring and get the hood bird decal on and 5.0litr badges on the shaker
Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Car: 85 Trans Am
Engine: 305 Carb

Originally Posted by RICHRAD
WOW!... Great to see this site is still out there.. Hey wilyk9 you still following this thread?... I haven't looked at it in 2 years. The T/A still sits in my garage with the shaker and all. Did you ever get yours fully completed? If anyone out there still needs any info on this mod, I'll try my best..I hope to get the car started this spring and get the hood bird decal on and 5.0litr badges on the shaker
Yup, still here. I got mine about 90% finished, then tore the car down to an empty shell to do a 100% rebuild. After several delays, I am hoping to see paint on it this summer finally. Once that is done and a new drivetrain is in, then I should be able to get it totally finished. Probably will be quite some time yet before I get to that point though.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM

yeah, look forward to seeing your finished result someday...Sometime ago i got alot of pm's asking me how to do this. But i'm not sure what else i can add to help those out. I know being a machinist by trade helped me address the angle issue with the aircleaner vs. the hoodline slope. I had to machine an alum.adapter angle ring more than once. Also separating the resin from the metal housing on the shaker allowed great adjustment when fitting back together. I considered the whole thing a wash and did not expect it to really work. The route you chose was also a good option for those with sheet metal and welding skill. When i revisted this thread i was hoping to see a few attempts posted and pics too...So, for anyone wanting to know how to do this mod, please read the thread carefully and i'll try to go further in depth with any ?'s
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am 15th anniversary
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: 3:73

What about the unfiltered/open air/water going down the carb? is there a screen for this?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by The_Wraith
What about the unfiltered/open air/water going down the carb? is there a screen for this?
I've often wondered about being out in a heavy downpour. Besides the shaker having it's own drain, it appears that water would track down the original air cleaner duct and out the exhaust manifold stove pipe before it could get over the air cleaner base dome. Also the K&N can handle water. At the same time I guess there would be a little water injection going on from the mist. I do remember the first season i run this set and occasionally picking debris out from the air cleaner. A grid or screen would do some good in the suction of airborne trash. Have tossed that idea around before too..
Old 03-21-2009, 09:02 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM GTA
Engine: Tune-port Injected 6.3L
Transmission: Borg-Warner T56 six-speed
Axle/Gears: Borg/Warner 9-bolt with 3.70:1

I know this is an old thread, but I have to say that the work done to make it sit right and look "stock" was really awesome. A little creativity and skill goes along way. I'm good on the creativity side, but lacking some on the skill side to do a mod like this. Judging by some of the posts made here one could probably make soem money on the side if they were able to mass produce some of the required parts for the conversion. I'd definatley like to see more pictures of the finished product. Very cool work all the way around.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:13 PM

Car: 1991 camaro rs, 2001 buick century
Engine: 305, 3.1
Transmission: T-5

i have always wanted to do a shaker hood on my camaro its a 91 camaro rs with 305 for now soon to be swapped but how much more work do you think it would be to do to a camaro???? and its also tbi too so would it work corectly?
Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 PM

Car: 83 Pontiac Trans Am Recaro
Engine: Crossfire 350
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10 posi

Originally Posted by strc09
I know this is an old thread, but I have to say that the work done to make it sit right and look "stock" was really awesome. A little creativity and skill goes along way. I'm good on the creativity side, but lacking some on the skill side to do a mod like this. Judging by some of the posts made here one could probably make soem money on the side if they were able to mass produce some of the required parts for the conversion. I'd definatley like to see more pictures of the finished product. Very cool work all the way around.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joker0907
i have always wanted to do a shaker hood on my camaro its a 91 camaro rs with 305 for now soon to be swapped but how much more work do you think it would be to do to a camaro???? and its also tbi too so would it work corectly?
Shaker on a Camaro? NO!
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM GTA
Engine: Tune-port Injected 6.3L
Transmission: Borg-Warner T56 six-speed
Axle/Gears: Borg/Warner 9-bolt with 3.70:1

I know they don't belong, but why not? I've seen them on Monte SSs and they look pretty sweet.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 400HP 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'm going to be starting this project son, can anyone give me any tips to what to look for when setting this all up?

Rob...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am 15th anniversary
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700r
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Very cool mod. A few years back I saw a 75 t/a that actually had the shaker braced to the hood so it would open when the hood opened. He had a different intake on but wanted the effect of the shaker hood. All he had was two aluminum braces holding it to the hood from the underside , from the outside it looked perfect. This would eliminate the possible clearance issue on our cars.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Car: 92 TA convertible
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

I'm doing one on my '92 vert. It took quite a lot of measuring before I started cutting the hood, and I'm still not quite done, but here's a shot of what I have so far. This is (so far) about 40 hours of work (measure, re-measure, re-re-measure, cut, fabricate mount to fit TPI manifold), and I still have much to do. The scoop was not in the best of condition (cheap, though) but I'm getting there. I decided to cut the hole so it looked best, and then fab the mount to fit. Probably was a lot more work that it should have been, but so far, I'm happy with the look. I still need to adjust the height of the scoop and put a lip on the hood opening.

Rob, If I can help you any let me know.
Attached Thumbnails Doing the shaker assembly mod for real-h_3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
DEBt/a (02-07-2024)
Old 02-20-2010, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TimeTraveller
I'm doing one on my '92 vert. It took quite a lot of measuring before I started cutting the hood, and I'm still not quite done, but here's a shot of what I have so far. This is (so far) about 40 hours of work (measure, re-measure, re-re-measure, cut, fabricate mount to fit TPI manifold), and I still have much to do. The scoop was not in the best of condition (cheap, though) but I'm getting there. I decided to cut the hole so it looked best, and then fab the mount to fit. Probably was a lot more work that it should have been, but so far, I'm happy with the look. I still need to adjust the height of the scoop and put a lip on the hood opening.

Shaker looks fine to me. It's hard to find a 77 shaker, versus the 78-81 one. I like how its more low slung then the others. How did you measure up the opening? Did you have a doaner t/a hood to take measurements off of?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by fiream
Shaker looks fine to me. It's hard to find a 77 shaker, versus the 78-81 one. I like how its more low slung then the others. How did you measure up the opening? Did you have a doaner t/a hood to take measurements off of?
No, no donor hood, I measured the visible area of the scoop, then I did a lot of research on 2nd gen TA's, and then took about 4 tries of laying out the opening with masking tape until I found something that looked right. Finding the '77 shaker was part of the program, since I thought it looked best with a 3rd gen hood. Getting a good one at a reasonable price was impossible, so I took a beat up one from ebay and repaired it. However, someone cut out the rear of the scoop, and I haven't yet come up with something for it. The opening doesn't look awful, but it doesn't look finished, either. I think some sort of screen insert may be how I take care of that.

The measurements went like this....

I made a template of the scoop from corrigated cardboard and positioned it until I came up with this...
Rear edge of hood at centerline to back of opening - 7 inches
Left & right edge of opening to edge of hood
rear of opening - 24"
Front of opening -23.5"
front of opening to front edge of hood at centerline - 32"
I've attached a simple schematic of the measurements I got.

These measurements would only be applicable if a 77 shaker was being used. (obviously)

Hope this helps....

TT
Attached Thumbnails Doing the shaker assembly mod for real-h_2.jpg   Doing the shaker assembly mod for real-hood_measurements.jpg  

Last edited by TimeTraveller; 02-21-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: additional info
DEBt/a (02-07-2024)
Old 04-24-2010, 06:57 PM

hey Wilyk9, You out there man, Growing old waiting on seeing that completed Trans Am w/ shaker mod..
Old 04-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Supreme Member

I finally got my hands on a shaker and a hood for $100...lol The hood is way too nice to cut though
Old 04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73

So that's on a TPI? Any pics of the engine bay? Curious to see what's going on under the hood.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Nice write up!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by RICHRAD
hey Wilyk9, You out there man, Growing old waiting on seeing that completed Trans Am w/ shaker mod..
Still here, and rebuild still in progress. Paint job fell through last summer, now on the agenda for this summer. Growing old just waiting on that. If it doesn't happen this time, I think I will just paint it myself. With all the distractions and other priorities, this rebuild is taking much longer than planned. Someday...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by wilyk9
Still here, and rebuild still in progress. Paint job fell through last summer, now on the agenda for this summer. Growing old just waiting on that. If it doesn't happen this time, I think I will just paint it myself. With all the distractions and other priorities, this rebuild is taking much longer than planned. Someday...
Yeah, I hear that..I don't ever give the TA much attention anymores. I just parked it a few years ago shortly after the shaker was done. I list the shaker for sale a few times a year, but no one in the area is ever interested. Do get a few that would like it shipped freighted, but I'd rather someone drive out to get it. Heck , I'm only an hour and half from Louisville ,ky.. I'd really like to get the original hood on there, and unclutter my garage a bit. I open this thread occasionally to see if any others tried what we did. Well, maybe things will work out for you this year.. Later
Old 05-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by blacksunshine'91
So that's on a TPI? Any pics of the engine bay? Curious to see what's going on under the hood.
Here's one. A bracket was fabbed from sheet aluminum and mounted via the runner bolts.

TT
Attached Thumbnails Doing the shaker assembly mod for real-eng_comp-002.jpg  
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Anyone have any new pics or anything? Maybe 3/4 shot of the car with the shaker????
Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Finally picked up a shaker to start my mod..lol Came with a fresh coat of white paint all for $50..lol Its in really nice shape.

Name:  1281562799.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  1281562781.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  49.2 KB
Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 AM
J91
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Z28,64ImpalaSS4094spd,67 Galaxy
Engine: Dart 415Profiler hd,cmprlrs,Hlly750
Transmission: Built 700R4, 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3:89 Moser 9"

Here's one. A bracket was fabbed from sheet aluminum and mounted via the runner bolts.

TT
Why would you put a shaker on a TPI car??
On a lighter note, there is some really nice work going on here...
Old 08-14-2010, 12:37 PM

Car: 88 Iroc-Z
Engine: 6.2 LS3
Transmission: 4L70E

TT

Whoa, is the maf still there?
Old 08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 Formula/ 00 Xtreme
Engine: TPI 305/ v6
Transmission: struggling t-5/ 4l60E
Axle/Gears: 3.08/ 3.23

Originally Posted by modern0utlaw
Whoa, is the maf still there?
No MAF on a speed-density engine.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Car: 88 Iroc-Z
Engine: 6.2 LS3
Transmission: 4L70E

Oh... didnt have a clue what speed density was, i thought all TP's required maf's. But I looked it up and learned better. TY
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Ne have some ideas on an air box configuration? Plenumed air vs. Non-plenumed air. Or even flat panel air cleaner vs. Round??
Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Here's what i'm going to use to mate the drop base of my air cleaner to the bottom of the shaker, I call it "scoopula"...lol

Name:  1282622105.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  66.6 KB
Ariyana Dumon (02-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355ci L98 soon to be turbo'd
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

here is a sneak peak of my shaker hood mod, I plan on making a whole thread for my car build once its done (in a few weeks) which will have more pics... It sits on top of a 355 TPI...

Attached Thumbnails Doing the shaker assembly mod for real-shaker1.jpg   Doing the shaker assembly mod for real-shaker2.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 01:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 90 IROC 5.7 1LE CLONE 89 GTA 88IROC
Engine: 5.7TPI / 5.7TPI/ 5.7TPI/ 4.3 CMFI
Transmission: 700R4 UPGRADED 700R4STOCK700R4STOCK
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 BOLT 3.27 9 BOLT 2.77 9BOLT

NICE WORK.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1985 Camaro, 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L carbed and 5.0L TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 and 3.27 posi

I'd put one on my T/A TPI, but I'd mount it to the hood as mentioned earlier. It would be just for looks.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by wilyk9
Here are a couple of pics of how I handled the ridge around the scoop opening on my conversion. Kind of an expensive option since I had to sacrifice an original 2nd gen TA hood, but I really wanted it to look like the factory installed the shaker. Besides, I already had a hood off of a 77 TA that I parted out.

In the first picture you can see that even with sectioning the shaker mount, I still am very close to the hood because of my intake. The TA grilles in the front of the hood will be filled with metal panels as part of the paint job, but I will be keeping the rear vents. I will also be adding a hood bird to complete the 2nd gen style.
Any info on what you used to cut the hole and how you did it??? It came out pretty much perfect.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the compliment. All of the cutting was done with a cutoff wheel on an angle grinder, and the shaping was done with a flap wheel on the same angle grinder.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Supreme Member

LOL, sorry for all the spam, just really interested..lol
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 PM

Car: 1987 Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 L/S

I picked up the hood today and the shaker scoop should be here Wed 12/1/10. I think I will just attach it to my hood since I am running a TPI Set up. For $100 bucks for both a little experimenting can't hurt.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

what do you guys think about this for my hood???.....lol

Name:  FireAM_Decals6409_006-1.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  82.8 KB
DEBt/a (02-07-2024)
Old 12-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

It reminds me of something from the 1970's IMHO.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, its off The Herb Adams Fire-Am
Old 12-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

what do you guys think about this for my hood???.....lol

That would be pretty easy to print as out a 1-piece decal. Kinda neat, but you'd hafta have it designed to fit around the opening for the scoop you used.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Supreme Member

Yep, its off The Herb Adams Fire-Am
Ahh, I see, that makes sense. Definitely recognizable from the time period. I've always liked the color scheme but from there it would depend how it looks with the different scoop.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 AM

Car: 89 Camaro RS (lawn ornament)
Engine: 327 sbc
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: Stock for now

Hi, I just picked up a shaker on ebay and want to do this to my car down the road. How did you guys attach the top half to the bottom half. I don't think anyone ever said. I know the original ones had a big ring that held the 2 halves together. I will probably be copying the guy that took the other 305 air cleaner and flipped it upside down since I bought a shaker with a 400 base on it. It will be too big to fit if I use my original 305 air cleaner base. I hope someone replies.

Quick Reply: Doing the shaker assembly mod for real