Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

BlackTopKing's "Concrete Angel" Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Posi 3:42
Re: BlackTopKing's "Concrete Angel" Build

Thanks guys.
I can't say I don't have serious mix feeling on this... First time ever in my life have I found myself on both sides of the table... Failure and walking away...
Hate to make the thread personal, as we all always have something in the back ground...
Just I am gonna have to make some decisions personally in my life.

Had I done better, gone further or maybe just did more, perhaps I wouldn't even be in this spot... But... Here I am.

So, as always... Start now and step forward, right.

As for the Prom...
Idk

89 chip is supposed to have 9th deleted, egr, vatts and adjusted for the injectors.
But... Like I said. Prom makes no attempt to start?!? Will crank... But injectors never fire with that prom.

Thought about having another one made...to keep 9th injector and adjust for the rest.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Had a few offers but I don't think I can honestly part ways. Really need to get off my lazy, cheap butt and finish this. Think I would feel better about it all the way around.

Now what to do about the 88...and the daily driver issue
��
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

Update:
I know these build threads are about building these cars, that we come to love and have passions for, But we build them as reflections of times in our lives and they become a personal part of us...our builds and theses threads then show the same.

The memories and times held in between the metal and paint are never lost.

I have had an intense last few weeks, personally, professionally and that has directly effected and been reflected into my build.

I then realize how much that has actually happened all year. Which was its own roller coaster and a huge year in a lot of ways for me personally mentally and emotionally.

A lot the seemed to happen all in two weeks. and i guess best way to express it, with out the story itself (book on sale now 34.95 for WarBird Fund)...is the changes and non changes i have been in a major battle with have all surpassed me and become as they should be. Amazing how life works...

Positively speaking this was a much needed wake up call and although its far from the settled. (Tuesday is the big day) i have come to be much more self leveled....

now i just feel stupid for and wonder where the h3ll was my head at this year...lol

either way what does this mean and what are my intentions

1st issue was my goals were way to vague and leading to vague results. every few months i was in a different direction
2nd issue was the conflicting pressure to force a project...it wasnt and inst ready to dail drive and yet i was attempt to cut my way there, when it wasnt part of the orignal plan...but things where changing and the pressure was building...
again i became very indecisive for a few reason...fear of change was one.
3rd i worked and saved for the warbird and finally ended up doing nothing because of the above....

so i have decided in light of everything. To simply "change" and move forward.

not letting go of the WarBird, no way...drove the other day and i was just in heaven...i really need a Trans Am in my life. At all times.
but am not going to over step or cut short or skip anything...i started off so 100% and so i shall remain. if it aint right or my best...i dont want to do it, period.

which means, for power plant and drive line....
I am going to keep what i have in there now, for the remainder of the build as it was last on the list anyway. instead, but a motor and build it for the car specifically.

this will give me the time needed while i do the interior and finish the chassis. do the engine bay and motor swap at once.

am going to stay sbc (sorry no LS)

which then leads me to the driving issue, so the money saved for the WarBird, i simply bought a DD instead.

Solving those above issues, just.....i was stubborn and wanted a Trans Am....and stupid for selling the donor (part car) last month...should of kept it.

But, oh well....

Start Fresh , from today forward right!

So i spent the whole weekend cleaning and getting garage ready to pull WarBird Back inside so i can finally get going again.

Im excited and will having other then words, shortly.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:48 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS

Thats deep man. Often times we have to choose between our hobbies and our profession, and the lines are not always so clear. Youve got the right idea about taking things one step at a time. Little by little is the way to go. One day at a time. Keep it up man and work when its best for you. Thats what matters.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Supreme Member

in the mean time, here is the new daily driver.
Im on the road officially tomorrow so i cant wait to drive "dive" it.
I think i found a really solid deal (have to travel 2hrs for it) but it defiantly fits the bill.

And OMG does it need paint.....hate the rattle can bombs ppl do...so yup...ideals already!!

Name:  IMG_2824_zpsafdppsjs.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  259.1 KB
Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by CatmanFS
Thats deep man. Often times we have to choose between our hobbies and our profession, and the lines are not always so clear. Youve got the right idea about taking things one step at a time. Little by little is the way to go. One day at a time. Keep it up man and work when its best for you. Thats what matters.

Thanks man.
I know that i am not the only one who has found them selves just in a very challenging point and time, nor am i the only one who has ever just found themselves sucked in to a nasty cycle that...really can send us off in all kinds of directions. Alot like phases and thats ok, but what we do afterwards is the important part, you know.

so hopefully i make the most of mind, as i intend too!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:11 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe (Part Out)
Engine: 2.8 MPFI V6
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic 4 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open With Drum Brakes

Glad to see this thread come back. I was worried you were just gonna drop everything and quit. You've put so much time into this car and it would suck to have seen it not be finished properly.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Supreme Member

well look as if the warbird will have to be back on hold again....rrrr...as my company has made me an offer to take a promotional transfer to Savannah GA and after the week of just craziness...ive officially accepted and will relocate in Oct. So the month of Sept i will be working in and out of both locations in order to transition. at the same time looking for a new place to call home...

Old 11-14-2015, 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

Originally Posted by BlackTopKing
well look as if the warbird will have to be back on hold again....rrrr...as my company has made me an offer to take a promotional transfer to Savannah GA and after the week of just craziness...ive officially accepted and will relocate in Oct. So the month of Sept i will be working in and out of both locations in order to transition. at the same time looking for a new place to call home...

Good for you. Cars are important but careers are more important. Good luck with your new assignment and get back to us when you can.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:34 AM

Car: BUILDING 1985 HARD TOP T/A
Engine: sbc
Transmission: stick
Axle/Gears: GM

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PAINT & BODYWORK!
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW LOCATION.
HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 12-29-2015, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Been a while since i been on here.
Missed this place, my ThirdGen Sactuary sorta speak.

What a crazy past few months though.
The transition pretty much burnt me out.
Moved in a Hurricane literally and to top it off...Towing the WarBird, just sucked on all levels.
I ended up selling the 83 as a last minute decision (of course now hate that i did as always)
So, what happened and where am i now...long story short i found a nice house in Wilmington island right outside the actual city of Savannah, right before Tybee. House did not have a garage, but the land lord agreed allowing me to put a portable garage in. I found a 12x30 off size and put a deposit on it. 3 Attempts and a whole lot of Tree branch cutting, clearing and like 15' of fence and gate removed - later. This turns out to be a bust because of the large oak tree in between me and the neighbors plus the pitch of the back porch roof and gable (hard to explain)...but 4" makes the building not fit. Either its too high going one way, too wide the other or too long...

I was very disappointing to say the least as i have two garages worth of stuff moved to Savannah at this time sitting in the back yard awaiting the building. plus the WarBird sitting under a Palm tree next to my stuff.

A 10x 24 is standard and can get easy, but the 10' wide is an issue as it really makes it too tight to do anything with the car. The Bikes it would work out well, but i am still undecided if i want to bring the airbrush studio to Savannah and continue.

Obviously my focus is strongly applied into the Company (CTE of Savannah Branch) and dont want to over draw myself. I will always paint personally, just may not always do it as i was.

So the weeks came and went, i have been full steam and really striving to get the branch together, up and going. That alone has been a challenge and exhausting. Mean while as the weeks came and went so did life and work, i have had to travel almost every week since i been here. Either Charleston, Charlotte or Florida areas.

Then i woke up one day and it was Christmas...wow... Merry Christmas by the way.

Still no garage at the house and at this point, i am thinking ill get a basic portable (enclosed) car port to get most of my stuff into. I have alot at my office (shop) and have considered bring the WarBird up there. Would give me a place to keep it, get it out of the weather and somewhere to actually work on it when i am ready.

My office (CTE) has a nice size shop and i could easy adopt a little corner for my stuff plus a trans am, hehehe...perks of being the boss and the only one here?! lol

Meanwhile, I think i threw out my last box, this past week and am officially in the house, unpacked and its now finally a home. I have defiantly hated this move and will not ever move and work like that again. Next time, i hire a big truck...and take 2 weeks off...crazy...

WarBird, well... still as it was, just with a nice scar on the passenger side side skirt. I loaded the car on a trailer (UHaul) at 1am (old neighbors probably hated me that night), first issue was, car was moody and had not been driven in a while, so it was very choppy. Second i was nervous as hell to load this by myself in the dark and with the trailer being so tight compared to the car... seriously, the car doesnt seem so wide until you line it up and have an 1.5" per side to fit.

lastly...i made it up perfect the first 3 times...yeah 3 times, kept getting front tires on and stalling out. really thought it was me or the car...so 4th time, embarrassed and frustrated i gave it enough love to get up and over...wasnt me or the car, freaking downs (exhaust on driver side) was catching and ganking the car to a stop. Well my little love was enough to get on, almost completely over and with a little tire spin, that 1.5" on the passenger side...was gone...Grrrrr... as well as having the exhaust pipe wedge under the car keeping it front full seating into the trailer catches for the straps...

Saw-all and a nice burn... car was set and ready.

I was nice to my new neighbors and waited until 10a the next day to pull car off the trailer. Waking up to a crowd outside to watch made it even more amusing and i was quickly labeled "that guy" as i pulled off a loud car which is even louder at this point, still choppy and moody, sounding....really freaking cool...lol...

But it made it and its here. I have managed to do 0 to it as i havent been home yet...during day light and most of the time i have had free, i have spent just trying to get everything else together...plus breathe a little bit too.

Plans...ummm, just that so far. I most likely will have it "Flat Bed" up to the shop after the New Year. Giving me place and space for it and then figure out what is the actual next step.

I have decided I would like to just replace the motor (carb set up) and start fresh from there as far as the WarBird goes.

Now that the dust has settle and things are leveling out i will still be looking for a daily TA in the upcoming months, but defiantly want something turn key and AC!!! lol

So of course GA guys, local info would be appreciated.

I am here

Name:  12032035_953894634673319_5257741021735334519_n_zpsy5jqwnpe.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  12033096_953894781339971_1267910818356753541_n_zpspya33hrk.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  12036731_954053101324139_4907455444179397230_n_zpsvcvlxh6k.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  132.4 KB

Ouch...see all that fiberglass bleeding out...actually not as bad as it looks it shaved it...lol

Name:  12063366_954053064657476_1188984589817202753_n_zpspoopkcgj.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  163.5 KB

Last edited by BlackTopKing; 12-29-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: miss pic
Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Supreme Member

And for show...it still lives, lol...sorry its sideways.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 PM
Supreme Member

And for show...it still lives, lol...sorry its sideways.

http://vid1223.photobucket.com/album...ps7amynbcx.mp4

Last edited by BlackTopKing; 12-29-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Glad to here that you got moved. Hopefully you can catch your breath and have some time to work on it again. If I get down to Savannah, I will have to look you up.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bluegrassz
Glad to here that you got moved. Hopefully you can catch your breath and have some time to work on it again. If I get down to Savannah, I will have to look you up.

Yeah man, Thank you and defiantly hit me up if you ever come this way.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:06 PM
Supreme Member

Well I was kind of dreading this part, so I avoided it for about a week, but I want to be the first to say this and announce it because I know it will become public soon and I also know a lot of question will come forward from it as it has on FaceBook.

Officially The Project "WarBird" has concluded and left Savannah. Actually drove back to Charleston, its birth place and with it a new craftsman.

I have had this debate for some time and have found myself looking a lot of personal thoughts and feelings until now.

When I set out to build this car, it was nothing more than an idea sketched in a book that has floated with me for about 7 years.
The purpose and the intention of the car became a direction and goal after the car started to take form.

Honestly, I never actually built it for me and I don’t think I ever really felt like it was for me in that sense.
Not being dramatic, but It was intended for “others”; it was for the veterans of our country who now in our community needed the awareness to the growing problem we see every day. Mainly the homeless, which personally hits home with me.

I painted the car to represent the two aspects of each veterans sacrifice, away at war and at home.
I simply wanted to show that the battle and the fight isn’t just in the field and it doesn’t just stop when they come home. I wanted to show the history of it, to give thanks to the generation that most certainly didn’t get a welcome home party and faced the hardest adjustments ever in the history of our country.

During a time when there was not a VA system of support, was not a country in approval to war and in many cases was not a healthy homeland to return to. Many of these veterans came home and remained homeless in more ways than one.
Although we have a system now, it is a product of that generation and even that system isn’t as it should be. It took awareness, people and communities to step up and stand up in order to create that needed change.

Once again, a whole generation is coming home to a whole country that in many ways hides the issues that are being faced daily by our veterans.
This isn’t about who you vote for or who side your on or even if the war is justified. This is about our families, friends and neighbors who “willingly” set out to protect, build and honor our county. Regardless if you agree, like or even care about the country, rights and the liberties you live within. These men and women, fathers and mothers, sisters and brothers are the sole reason we have the opportunities we do. Period.

None of those members of our families should ever be left in the cold, left without medical support and cut short in life opportunities. They should be respected, honored and valued as core members of the country in which we all live.

The car was simply that…it was a statement past words that are printed daily, past constructed media and far past entertainment that only enables a growing problem to be deluded. It was a visual image that I had hope made a statement and spoke better than anything I could ever write. And more so, even if nothing more…a simple thank you to each person who has lived what I only have painted.

Thank you to the Veterans and the supporters of the car.

I feel as if I have done what I was meant to do and I have achieved my personal purpose with the WarBird. I also believe we are were we are for a reason as much as the people we meet in life. My life personally has changed tides so drastically in just the last year, so did I.

Do I like the car, I love it and finally after weeks (since my last update) i was able to finally resolve the gremlin that haunted me for the past year.

Chip....pure tune...
I must of spent a 1000 over the course of the year when the chip was corrupted. Not a total lost, car could of used some replacement items anyway. But 325 later, a chip was plugged in as if it was waiting the whole time, kaboom. Fired on a dime with a new battery, and ran smooth. Little TPS, Idle and timing adjustment and off I went.

Drove around the neighborhood a few times, but as fast as it started...it sat.

Then same positive changes came along and for the first time in a few years i had some solid options. I felt as if i could either A: Hold on to it and let it sit as it has all year. B: could put the money out for a new motor and finish the car's interior or C: move on to something else.
Well, it really bothers me more then anything, sitting...i rather see it do something. I bought the best TA i could find at the time with the 2K i had...wasnt the best platform to invest that much work into, but then again. I honestly didnt even believe i was gonna be able to do what i set out to do; so i didnt want to invest much into it. But i did...
During the time, the car and build alone was a great and much needed out let...but here i am wanting to do it again...see i just like doing this that much, that i really just want to venture into something else. And i think i kind of changed and want to do something with in that change....i dont know if that makes any sense, but the "WarBird" is a reflection of myself for the past 4 years (sorta speak)...I kind of want to redefine that these next 4 years.

I had an amazing time with this build and I have taken so much away from the experience it will and shall be my “greatest build"
YET…
Which is where I am at now, personally.
I like creating these concepts, that’s who I am and that what I love. I am different and at a different point personally.
I have taken the time these past few weeks to get a shop and set up, and very much am looking to something build again, to paint something again.
But just like that same sketch book, the pages and ideas continue on with more and other concepts.
I feel as if so should I.

The WarBird was built on airbrush money alone, every bike, helmet or car was a part of the TA.

So i sold the "WarBird" to do the same with the next Trans Am (yes another one).

I feel very good about the new owner of this car, because he shares the same views, drive and willingness it will need to continue forward. I see the passion he has and honestly, that is the piece I find most valuable. I am looking forward to seeing this piece of me, flying by me one day as I watch it go and do the things it was meant to do.

So with that as my closing statement. I am excited to see what comes to life next, what I may do next and where my art may take me next!

As i have already begun Trans Am Hunting and the excitement is growing all over again.

Thanks everyone, it crazy how many people i have met and become friends with threw this car and this site.

Now for the hardest part...Finding a car and picking an idea, because you guys do realize...now, i believe i can do this...

hehe
All In and going All out

sorry for the dramatics so who want to see the WarBird actually drive...lol...freaking drove a 2.5hour trip home, with out missing a beat (once it warmed up, of course).

Rj
Old 02-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Supreme Member

Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Take Off...

http://vid1223.photobucket.com/album...psyqbq7lg0.mp4

Last edited by BlackTopKing; 02-16-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: link fix
Old 02-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

Some Pics of the WarBird that i didnt get around to posting, Yeah that the 83 TA shown in this thread, after paint and body was done.

Name:  IMG_3296_zpsaltkgegt.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  316.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3287_zpsxfvkpebm.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  338.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3294_zpsmsfqvfaz.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  331.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3291_zpszejzfrzm.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  300.7 KB

Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'm glad to see you are starting another project. Ive followed this build over the last few years and saw the things you went through. It was a beautiful car, but like you said, you werent really building it for you. I bet when you start building one for yourself it will be awesome. Im also interested in learning the fabrication side of your building, i'll never be as talented with paint!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9

i misinterpreted. i thought the other car was your project. I reread and it says you are looking for another project. Im glad you"re sticking to 3rd gens

Last edited by 87CIZ; 02-21-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks man, And yeah i am looking for another. both in pics above were projects at one time. The 83, i just fixed the body and painted it something new for the time before the move.

Guess we will see what i get next
Old 05-03-2017, 10:51 PM

Car: 1987 firebird trans am
Engine: at this point unknown lol

just to give anyone on this thread if they still follow this car. I have the car now and its currently under the knife so to speak. if anyone has any interest in this car and its future. ill gladly post a link or something to get you in the right direction. this man built an amazing machine and truly still has a lot of life in her yet.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:15 PM

Car: BUILDING 1985 HARD TOP T/A
Engine: sbc
Transmission: stick
Axle/Gears: GM

Originally Posted by Jay Baldwin
just to give anyone on this thread if they still follow this car. I have the car now and its currently under the knife so to speak. if anyone has any interest in this car and its future. ill gladly post a link or something to get you in the right direction. this man built an amazing machine and truly still has a lot of life in her yet.
What are you changing?( Plan's, etc )
Old 05-04-2017, 12:24 AM

Facebook Post
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 AM

On Facebook I have a page going search Warbird2.0 or Warbird revamp. One or the other
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 AM

But I do have to say there will most likely be major changes to the paint design inside and out, the paint wasn't taken care of sadly and has major cracking and chipped pieces, lots of work there but is out of my range to replicate.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Baldwin
good to see car us still in play. Start a new thread called"Warbird 2.0" or something like that. We would all like to see u t again.