Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: Bone Stock 350ci HSR T-76 Turbo
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: Stock
Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing

OK, so here is the thing; I use to race a few years back a road racing GT3 CRX and my Solo1 Turbo GTA. The GT3 CRX is long gone, the ZC twin cam threw a rod out so it got sold and although it was a small underpowered import when compared to the GTA it was very fun to drive, I will definately miss it.

Now, the GTA is currently under a protective film of abandonment dust, but that is going to change soon. A few days back I met with some old race buddies and it took very few words to convince me of getting my war bird back on the track. So here is the plan...

The next Solo1 race is this up comming october 25th, and yes I know, I have very little time in my hands. So in order to get it to the track on time I will limit to take care of the necessary basic things. The mill is still the same stock un-opened, old, abused boosted engine GM installed some 20+ years ago... That thing is one hard thing to kill, not that I've intentionally tried, but you can rest assure everytime I floored the gas to the floor on the long straights I expect anything. I do have a 1000+HP potential new engine block and parts still waiting for their turn, but the old granny wont just quit and there's no time for buildng the new block. Anyways is always fun to tell people that the engine is 100% stock, 20+ years old and still taking it, some admire that from the old granny. As part of the preparations I will also change all fluids and inspect the essentials.

But I do definately want to spice things up a bit, so I will make a full warrior armor for the GTA war bird complete with front splitter, adjustable wing and a rear diffuser. Everything will be CAD and CNC waterjet cut in 1/8" up to 1/2" thick aluminum depending the part being made. After welding and assembly, parts will be powder coated black for finish.

So here is where things get interesting for you, the reader. Since everything is going to be CAD, I intend to make several extra parts for anyone interested, maybe perhaps a group sale. I expect to get started on the parts sometime next week I'll keep posting on the progress of the GTA.
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-eco-track-solo-1.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Re: Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing

Originally Posted by BBSDesigns
OK, so here is the thing; I use to race a few years back a road racing GT3 CRX and my Solo1 Turbo GTA. The GT3 CRX is long gone, the ZC twin cam threw a rod out so it got sold and although it was a small underpowered import when compared to the GTA it was very fun to drive, I will definately miss it.

Now, the GTA is currently under a protective film of abandonment dust, but that is going to change soon. A few days back I met with some old race buddies and it took very few words to convince me of getting my war bird back on the track. So here is the plan...

The next Solo1 race is this up comming october 25th, and yes I know, I have very little time in my hands. So in order to get it to the track on time I will limit to take care of the necessary basic things. The mill is still the same stock un-opened, old, abused boosted engine GM installed some 20+ years ago... That thing is one hard thing to kill, not that I've intentionally tried, but you can rest assure everytime I floored the gas to the floor on the long straights I expect anything. I do have a 1000+HP potential new engine block and parts still waiting for their turn, but the old granny wont just quit and there's no time for buildng the new block. Anyways is always fun to tell people that the engine is 100% stock, 20+ years old and still taking it, some admire that from the old granny. As part of the preparations I will also change all fluids and inspect the essentials.

But I do definately want to spice things up a bit, so I will make a full warrior armor for the GTA war bird complete with front splitter, adjustable wing and a rear diffuser. Everything will be CAD and CNC waterjet cut in 1/8" up to 1/2" thick aluminum depending the part being made. After welding and assembly, parts will be powder coated black for finish.

So here is where things get interesting for you, the reader. Since everything is going to be CAD, I intend to make several extra parts for anyone interested, maybe perhaps a group sale. I expect to get started on the parts sometime next week I'll keep posting on the progress of the GTA.
Ed
this I find interesting. I have built my car these last few years towards a HPDE weekend warrior type build. So a diffuser and splitter are tempting.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Subscribing. Also, can you post a couple pics of that hood? It looks like something I've been thinking about.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by lb9 GTA
Subscribing. Also, can you post a couple pics of that hood? It looks like something I've been thinking about.
That is just a clip-on lightweight 12 pounder hood with no hinges, you can easily carry it with just one hand. The hood is a 2 fiberglass layer with a perimeter frame and 6 in deep reverse scoops, it does the job by removing LOT'S of radiator and IC heat.
If you are going to do it you might need to place the reverse scoops further back or the radiator support will hit with them(I think). My GTA has a chopped front end with foward radiator and IC, no radiator top support.

I searched for a pic of a hood's reverse scoops closeup but incredibly I dont have one at the moment. here is one that shows something and two other showing what I did to the car and why the deep reverse scoops can be done in that place. You can see the hood resting at the wall.

Since I am working on the GTA I will take closeups and measurements for you later.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-imag0755.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-imag0549.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-imag0658.jpg  

Last edited by BBSDesigns; 10-12-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

sub. digging the setup
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

That is just a clip-on lightweight 12 pounder hood with no hinges, you can easily carry it with just one hand. The hood is a 2 fiberglass layer with a perimeter frame and 6 in deep reverse scoops, it does the job by removing LOT'S of radiator and IC heat.
If you are going to do it you might need to place the reverse scoops further back or the radiator support will hit with them(I think). My GTA has a chopped front end with foward radiator and IC, no radiator top support.

I searched for a pic of a hood's reverse scoops closeup but incredibly I dont have one at the moment. here is one that shows something and two other showing what I did to the car and why the deep reverse scoops can be done in that place. You can see the hood resting at the wall.

Since I am working on the GTA I will take closeups and measurements for you later.
I must know more of this quad turbo TransAm. Yowzas. Are two cylinders feeding each turbo?
Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
I must know more of this quad turbo TransAm. Yowzas. Are two cylinders feeding each turbo?
Quads were a good idea, but only that...
The GTA was quad turbocharged for a very brief time, the quad setup charm went away quadruple the normal time because a combination of problems that came at the same time and made working with quads a headache;
single turbo x problem = 1 problem, hence quad turbo x problem=

During the quad installation the front was getting chopped, chassis was getting framed, fiberglassed front end, etc, etc, working around the engine was a problem.
When working while the engine was hot or warm everything was a PITA; reaching a screw, you get burned. Working on some wires, you get burned. Changing a tire, you get burned, everything was hot, this and that, etc.... Cooling after shotdown would take hours!!!
Only two things I loved about the quads; the sound and the looks. One thing I did not like, take a guess.... getting burned!!!

The setup was a 4-2 header with a 2-1 downpipe and they weighed a ton, about 50 pounds each side!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-imag0550.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-imag0547rep2.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-quad-turbo-kit.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM

Ok, so I took measurements for the rear diffuser, front splitter and also the rear wing. I will now CAD them and possibly start the waterjet cutting on Friday.

I would like to know whom would be interested in perhaps a diffuser or splitter? I will probabbly cut material to make five or maybe ten of each, depending on the demand.

The rear diffuser wont be a shy, funny, cheap looking piece of metal under the car, it will be a functional, mean looking aero piece.

The front splitter will also be serious looking aero piece with a 4-5" tongue.

The wing I am pretty sure is not going to be the cup of tea for most, because the mounting posts will be a bit akward to what you normally see on the race track for now I will make just one wing, my wing
Old 10-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Def interested in the rear diffuser and front splitter. I've wanted to do your hood mods (heat extractor hood) on my 4" cowl hood right behind the rad but never could find the right scoops.

Love the 4 turbo, i saw an article in one of the mags of a 8 turbo V8, tiny turbo on each primary and looked insane.

The 4 turbos prob has no lag time.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Def interested in the rear diffuser and front splitter. I've wanted to do your hood mods (heat extractor hood) on my 4" cowl hood right behind the rad but never could find the right scoops.

Love the 4 turbo, i saw an article in one of the mags of a 8 turbo V8, tiny turbo on each primary and looked insane.

The 4 turbos prob has no lag time.
I think you mean this one; A Corvette(dont remember the year) with eight turbos.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-incin9.jpg  
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Supreme Member

Quads were a good idea, but only that...
The GTA was quad turbocharged for a very brief time, the quad setup charm went away quadruple the normal time because a combination of problems that came at the same time and made working with quads a headache;
single turbo x problem = 1 problem, hence quad turbo x problem=

During the quad installation the front was getting chopped, chassis was getting framed, fiberglassed front end, etc, etc, working around the engine was a problem.
When working while the engine was hot or warm everything was a PITA; reaching a screw, you get burned. Working on some wires, you get burned. Changing a tire, you get burned, everything was hot, this and that, etc.... Cooling after shotdown would take hours!!!
Only two things I loved about the quads; the sound and the looks. One thing I did not like, take a guess.... getting burned!!!

The setup was a 4-2 header with a 2-1 downpipe and they weighed a ton, about 50 pounds each side!!!!!!!
Oh, I can see the complexity and the weight being a problem. And a properly sized set of duals probably works better anyways.

Looks cool though!
Old 10-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Ed, how much boost have you been throwing at the stock engine all these years, what's the most she's seen, and how many passes have you made with it...
Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Ed, how much boost have you been throwing at the stock engine all these years, what's the most she's seen, and how many passes have you made with it...
When I replaced the quad for the T76 and went to tune the engine I told my tuner;
"Look, this engine is old as shi___!!! It has 100K miles, oil pressure is about 5 psi at idle and the engine has never even been opened, do what you can while avoiding getting the car back at my place in a flat bed truck"

That guy managed to get 420 rwhp with 565 pounds of torque at 15 psi, rich in fuel as Howards Hughes and conservatively timed. It then went to the dyno about a year later and managed to get out some more, about a 100 hp more. But worried about hurting the old granny I quickly came back down, I even de-tune it a bit more than the 420 baseline. The GTA has seen plenty of street use and several autocross, only problem is since it is so rich it eats fuel like H2 truck!

I would really like to replace the engine with the other brand new fully forged one that I have, but I have very little time and since this one has not given up yet I think it deserves to die with dignity
Old 10-14-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: Ellis Juan
Transmission: t-56

anyways... about this diffuser/splitter stuff.. what do you have in mind?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

I love everything about this thread. The build, the car, your attitude, plans and the fact that you arent messing around with a bunch of BSing about "ideas" for parts. You're just doing it!

Props! And I cant wait to see what you come up with. Following along even though my old girl will never get any use out of any awesome parts like splitters or diffusers haha.

Good luck meeting your deadline for the event!

Justin
Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '05 GMC Sierra 1500
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4L60E

I would like to know whom would be interested in perhaps a diffuser or splitter? I will probabbly cut material to make five or maybe ten of each, depending on the demand.
I might be interested in a rear diffuser and/or front splitter, depending obviously on how they turn out, and how expensive. I do a little open road racing, so anything that promotes down-force and high speed stability without too much of a drag penalty is welcome. I was planning to attempt my own front splitter, belly pans, and diffuser some day, but it could be a while before I find time to do that.

One concern I have with an Al splitter is weight. I was planning to use a carbon fiber / foam sandwich, to minimize added weight at the front of an already nose-heavy car. I don't mind adding a little weight down low in the rear.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:35 PM

Sub'd. Nice...
Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28, '85 Camaro Z28
Engine: LB9, LB9
Transmission: T5, 700r4
Axle/Gears: Eaton 3.73 Posi, 3.23 Posi

Awesome ideas, if your not doing a belly pan have you considered at least side splitters to minimize turbulent air coming in from the sides?
Old 10-23-2014, 06:16 AM

Sorry to all for the lack of updates, but I've been SUPER occupied with this project and work.

Here are the updates;
Good news; I started up the GTA and it fired up faster than phosphorous burning in air, and why not to, it's a chevy Bad news was that it was running in about 5 cylinders. So the GTA received new plug wires, NGK -9 spark plugs gapped to 20, new rotor and cap and heat shielding. All the old stuff replaced was either burned, fouled, broken or electrically corroded, a complete mess...

A few days later I came back to pick the GTA, oh yes I forgot to tell, the GTA has been held hostage at my mother in law for this past years LOL. Anyways, came back, fired him up and is now sounding healthy and powerfull

As I was on my way home I noticed that something in the steering needed replacement and to top the cake with a cherry the clutch master and the slave gave up in the most fashionable way by leaving me in the middle of the highway with a pressure plate bent backwards and no clutch engagement. Apparently the master kept pushing the slave foward without retracting and it pushed the pressure plates springs backwards. So, took the slave out, spacer and pry the fork out to release the pressure plate and voila! manual clutchless synchro shifting for the rest of the trip!!!

So today is Thursday and the GTA has no clutch, a bad steering and rear tires need replacement, oh and have not started welding the diffuser nor the wing has been assembled.

The plan, my plan is to keep throwing punches ti'll the SOB is down! Now that everything that could possibly go wrong has, I will fetch some rear rubber, take care of the mechanics and start welding the diffuser and assemble the wing today. I still believe that I have plenty of time...

Stay tuned for the next episode of; "When stubborn racers want to rush things up for the next track day"

Thank's for the support to all!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-badcap.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-badrotor.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-tunedupengine.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 12:17 PM

By the way, for those asking me for a price on the diffuser it will be offered on pre-sale for $375.00 + shipping, retail $425.00. It is made entirely of thick water jet cut aluminum and TIG welded. Finish will be matte black coated.

I mocked up mine into the GTA's rear and hmmm, my immediate thought was; "this is some real race car shi...!" Curved duck tail, tall fins, wide look.... no more words, I'll post pics soon!!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:04 AM

Track Day!!!!!

Yesterday was D-day, after several weeks rushing things thru I was able to get the GTA to the track, how did it go? Well, the answer to that is a combination of mixed feelings, keep reading to know why.

Saturday Oct 26, 2:00am. Went to bed after finishing the GTA, I managed to replace the clutch master cylinder, slave, install the rear diffuser, wing, got new tires(rear only due to not being able to find two more, damn 16's "), check the transmission fluid level(she drank 3 qts!!!!) and place the GMS stickers(BBSDesigns is now part of GMS Corp.) + working on the other team car a fo... :cough: :cough: ffoooo... :cough some more: Ford Probe. As I wrote this down one of my fingernails just fell out of one of my fingers LOL

Saturday Oct 26, 5:00am. "After a very long and resting sleep" I woke up, got the last minute things and headed up to the track. On my way to the track I encountered this curious little creature driving one of those newer BMW twin Turbos, I believe his thoughts were; "Look at this ridiculous guy, with wing, diffuser and big ol' stickers on the sides of that old Trans Am, I think I am going to teach him a lesson and show him my M Power..." Well not much M Power, but rather M for misearable, poor guy . Another interesting creature was encountered but this one soon realized there was something going on with the old TA before he'd make a move, I guess that opening the cut-out exhaust in the GTA and letting the big T76 turbo scream to the atmosphere was not a good play of mine. But I'm sure the GTA got his respects from that Evo that got away without racing, ahh what can I say, I'm a bit rusty.

Got to go, till next time! Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-dscn7012.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-dscn7013.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-rear.jpg  

Last edited by BBSDesigns; 10-27-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:03 PM

More pics and track story.
Once at the track the GTA was weighted, to my surprise it's still a pig!!! 3,277 lbs with a full tank and no driver(I weight 175) That means that the doors have to go in favor for fiberglass ones, seats will be replaced for fixed light racing type, aluminum flywheel, light starter, etc, etc...
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-gta1.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 PM

more pics...
Yes I know, the wing is big, but it surely does a superb job of keeping the tires biting. Definately the new aero parts(diffuser and wing) did their job, NOT ONE SLIP SIDEWAYS, NOT A SINGLE ONE!!! and very few tire spin during acceleration. I do need the front splitter and new tires, HUGE UNDERSTEERING!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-gta2.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-gta3.jpg  

Last edited by BBSDesigns; 10-27-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:15 PM

Getting ready for the track..
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-123.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-12345.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 87 TA clone
Engine: supercharged 5.3 LS
Transmission: bullet proof 2004R
Axle/Gears: ford 8.8, 3.55 gears

Looks wise its pretty ugly not gona lie but if it works then thats all that matters. The rear diffuser looks wayyyy big but thats prob why it worked so well. I wouldn't buy something like that but maybe ones thats more cosmetic would be easier to sell. there is a lot of empty space at the back of the TAs and formulas for a rear diffuser even a short one.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 PM

Although I was fighting with severe understeering on tight turns, the GTA behaved perfectly during track time; power was on demand and bitting like never before, awesome!
I was able to put power soon when exiting the turns without not even the slightest slip, then... tragedy struck! The sound of broken parts and huge vibration took over acompanied with the very distinctive sound of a pile of shi+ hitting the fan.... My T56 just passed away... And just like that race day was over... The GTA had to take the walk of shame...
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-bad1.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-bad2.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-bad3.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by customblackbird
Looks wise its pretty ugly not gona lie but if it works then thats all that matters. The rear diffuser looks wayyyy big but thats prob why it worked so well. I wouldn't buy something like that but maybe ones thats more cosmetic would be easier to sell. there is a lot of empty space at the back of the TAs and formulas for a rear diffuser even a short one.
Yes, the wing is indeed a big one, but like you said; "ïf it works.." The wing is getting it's air stream just above the roof line, clean undisrupted flow.

The diffuser is made to work, not made for those looking for some ornament . We did made a smaller one shown here on the Probe.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-probe1.jpg   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-probe2.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS 89 iroc 87 firebird
Engine: 3.1 Turbo/ 355 twin turbo
Transmission: a4 w/ 4500 stall/ a4 / t5
Axle/Gears: strange s60 /w 3:42's

anychance u would offer it as unpowder coated/ un welded for those of us who can put it together ourselves ?

and anychange u got an camaro laying around u can throw one under for some quick pics?

how far in does it extend?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:43 AM

Hi,
As a matter of fact, we lowered the price on them. The first diffusers we did were entirely cut in the water jet, thus increasing the costs vastly. We are now cutting the body of the diffuser in the shear press and cutting the fins in the water jet, hence faster and cheaper to make. We are also painting them in-house with good quality paint, no more powder coating which was done elsewhere.
Newer diffusers like the one shown in the GMS Ford Probe are just $165 + shipping(about $45 bucks anywhere in the US).
I am working on a 83' Camaro twin turbo that will compete in AutoX next month along with my GTA and the Probe, I will take a diffuser with me and mock it up for you to see.
The trick with the diffuser's appearance is the the duck tail curve; if it's tall is has to be moved further back to accomodate well in the rear of the car. We can do any kind of custom work, just let me know what you want.
Thanks
Ed
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Supreme Member

thats not a bad price at all , deffinatly in for pictures when u can mock it up on the camaro

btw im interested in a full size functional one not the lil one

Last edited by project89; 11-06-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by project89
thats not a bad price at all , deffinatly in for pictures when u can mock it up on the camaro

btw im interested in a full size functional one not the lil one
Both have the same height, the difference is that 3rd gens diffuser center fins are 7" longer, further towards the front of the car.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Car: '05 GMC Sierra 1500
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4L60E

I would also like to see some pictures from under the rear of the car, where we can see the whole thing, and how it fits the car. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 AM

Both have the same height, the difference is that 3rd gens diffuser center fins are 7" longer, further towards the front of the car.
Correction; The 3rd gen diffuser is also wider, 8" inches wider (I think) I'll check the CAD's when I get back to the office.
Since the GTA smoked the T56 it's held back in hostage in my mother in law's garage, I'll try to get there and take pics when I get the chance.
Back to the AutoX racing theme, the Camaro TT will get one of the smaller diffuser, a front splitter and a bigger spoiler trim, so no wing for the Camaro. For now plans are to attach to the spoiler trim extension to the existing spoiler.

BTW; We currently have three (3) diffusers for sale and ready to ship at ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/251698224180?nav=SEARCH

Last edited by BBSDesigns; 11-06-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi

This is pretty sweet. I'd totally buy one too.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Correction; The 3rd gen diffuser is also wider, 8" inches wider (I think) I'll check the CAD's when I get back to the office.
Since the GTA smoked the T56 it's held back in hostage in my mother in law's garage, I'll try to get there and take pics when I get the chance.
Back to the AutoX racing theme, the Camaro TT will get one of the smaller diffuser, a front splitter and a bigger spoiler trim, so no wing for the Camaro. For now plans are to attach to the spoiler trim extension to the existing spoiler.

BTW; We currently have three (3) diffusers for sale and ready to ship at ebay: http://m.ebay.com/itm/251698224180?nav=SEARCH

deff post up when u get a chance the deminsion difference
Old 11-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Here are the CAD's of the diffusers, you can see that the main difference between the two is the extended center cection of the diffuser. The 3rd gen rear diffuser is also 4" wider for a total of 44" wide, hence the universal diffuser is 40" wide. Both look alike when installed and viewed from the rear, but the 3rd gen with the extended fins makes a better job straightening the air flow.
For those asking why the 3rd gen version has the extended center section and not doing it completely squared? The answer is simple; Our beloved 3rd gens have deep, large pockets on each side of the truck compartment. If the diffuser was to be done completely squared it would cover those huge areas making perfect and large traps for air to be stucked and held there thus affecting speed and aerodynamics. Is no secret that our cars make a lot of turbulent "air flow" underneath because of the design itself, but with the diffuser at least a decent amount of air is turned from turbulence to laminar flow.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-diffusers-desc.png   Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing-diffusers.png  
Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Ed, is it possible to order a custom 3rd gen diffuser, but shortened out the back to extend no further than the bumper cover like the universal's? I'm definitely in for the rear diffuser, but I would need it not to stick out that much though. I do realize I would be sacrificing some performance by shortening it of course...
Old 11-07-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Ed, is it possible to order a custom 3rd gen diffuser, but shortened out the back to extend no further than the bumper cover like the universal's? I'm definitely in for the rear diffuser, but I would need it not to stick out that much though. I do realize I would be sacrificing some performance by shortening it of course...
Yes, no problem! Is that for a Camaro or TA?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:51 PM
Supreme Member

just purchased a chute and fuel system for my car , so be 1-2 weeks before i canbuy but im deff in on the 3rdgen diffuser , not the universal

should help me out alot when i take the car upto the bonneville salt flats
Old 11-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by project89
just purchased a chute and fuel system for my car , so be 1-2 weeks before i canbuy but im deff in on the 3rdgen diffuser , not the universal

should help me out alot when i take the car upto the bonneville salt flats
OHHHH coool, good luck at the salts!!!!! Keep us posted with that!!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:48 PM
Supreme Member

OHHHH coool, good luck at the salts!!!!! Keep us posted with that!!!!

thanks i was there this year but it got rained out ( was supposed to run the 150mph class), salt was under a few ft of water , now im working my butt off all winter to prepare for next time
going to see if i can hit that elusive 200 mph mark

also just relized yeah that 3rdgen one does stick out past the bumper quite a bit , if it canbe almost flush to the rear bumper that would be much better, but ill wait till u can mock it up on an maro before i decide
Old 11-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Ed, it's for the GTA. Thanks man, the main reason for the shorter diffuser is because it needs to pass inspection, and NJ inspection will see that sticking out back and immediately fail it, or even if its inspected already and put on after, the cops would see it and pull me right over...
Old 11-11-2014, 04:16 PM

It's ok, just give me a chance to re-take some measurements and redo the diffuser. It will most probabbly have a less aggressive duck tail that conforms better with the 3rd gen bumper.
I'll post when ready
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Interessed to buy one too ! For a Camaro.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

It's ok, just give me a chance to re-take some measurements and redo the diffuser. It will most probabbly have a less aggressive duck tail that conforms better with the 3rd gen bumper. I'll post when ready
Will do, thanks Ed...
Old 11-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Australian 9 bolt

holy crap! something actually made! props. id also like one, but mainly for looks...yea i said it!.....id like it to be level with the lowest point of the rear trim closest to the back of the tire. i want to level out the rear of the car. i dont like the upward angle on the front and rear of the camaros.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:14 PM

Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 6.6 Liter 406 c.i.
Transmission: T-56 6 Speed/ McLeod Street Twin
Axle/Gears: 3.42 9 Bolt Posi w/ girdle

How do these mount to the car? Also, can you mount them so that the edge of the diffuser is even with the rear bumper? If so, I will likely buy one in the coming days. Do you have better pictures of the front splitter?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by TKR Performance
How do these mount to the car? Also, can you mount them so that the edge of the diffuser is even with the rear bumper? If so, I will likely buy one in the coming days. Do you have better pictures of the front splitter?
The diffusers mounts to the rear bumper bar and the trunk's floor via screws and nuts.

I am currently looking for a bit of time to go to my buddy's home and check the new diffuser profile in his Camaro.

I never got the time to make the front splitter in time for the solo1 race, so now it's on hold until later november.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:23 AM

Car: 92 Firebird, 91 GTA
Engine: 305 TBI, 350 TPI, * LS1 (Building)

These are definitely interesting. Ive been waiting for a nice rear diffuser. Mainly I love the look but if its funcitonal... Id be interested to see what these look like bolted up the a 91-92 T/A. If they sat flush like the universal, and the fins sat flush with the rear bumper I would def be interested.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Supreme Member

any updates on these?

Quick Reply: Rear Diffuser, Front Splitter & Rear Wing