Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Engine Design

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro rs
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: 4l60
Axle/Gears: 3.42 or so.
Engine Design

So, i'm not sure if this question would go here or not, but i guess it's about the most relevant place to put it.

It's just a thought that popped into my head this evening while watching a video about exotic sports cars.

My question would be....could it be possible to fabricate an intake that would go in place of where the exhaust is, and have the exhaust come out the intake side of a head on a chevy v engine?? The main reason i'm asking is because i can see a lot of benefits for working on the car with it set up like this....i.e. no more burning your hands when trying to do spark plugs. Turbo installs would be a cinch. Also most of the heat would be in one central place, so it would be easier to get rid of most of the heat. Also the intake would be naturally cooler because of its distance from all of the heat that the exhaust would be making.

A couple of down sides that i can think of i.e. switching the valves, and changing the camshaft, other than those i can only really think of one reason not to do it that way, and that would be because of exhaust tuning. With log style headers though there really isn't any tuning to speak of, so it kind of negates that thought.

Could someone who's a little more versed in why they continue to make the engines with the intake on the top of the motor explain why I've never heard of something like this?

Last but not least....how in the realm of possibility would it be to attempt something like this? Basically it would seem like a re-designed head is all you would need. (like i can do that)https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/imag...lies/hmmmm.gif
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73
Re: Engine Design

Its common on mid engine cars for packaging purposes. Really doesnt have any benefits for RWD cars

You'd need a symmetrical gasket OHC style head. The only GM engine I can think of that fits the bill is the cadillac northstar
Old 02-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

Pocket, I'm not sure where you're going with the symmetrical gasket OHC, unless you're thinking of spinning the heads around on the block.

If you're thinking about actually using the exhaust ports as intakes and vice versa... well there would be a bunch of problems, but mostly efficiency, the exhaust ports are just smaller and I don't think most heads have enough room to do anything about it. Past that, things like valve seat profiles, chamber shape, cam timing... all can be dealt with.

Yes, it has been done before for various reasons... but in a normal front engine setup its just not practical for packaging reasons
Old 02-01-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro rs
Engine: 350 LT1
Transmission: 4l60
Axle/Gears: 3.42 or so.

Ok, i found this doing a google search. it shows exactly what i was thinking, but in a rear engine car. too bad we couldn't do it with our third gens....that would be such a cool idea. http://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-91...xit-top-pipes/
Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: Supercharged 6.0
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 3.73

Thats exactly what Im saying. Alternatives are to flow the heads in reverse which is retarded or redesign the heads which he has no business being on this forum if hes capable of that

Heres a reversed northstar for example. Completely wooden car, twin supercharged, mid engine. Incredible read if you've got time, bunch of engineering students built it