Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Lighting up center bird on 82-84 TA taillights

Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird,00 c2500,75 Vette
Engine: 3.1 but 350 soon, 350, 350
Transmission: T56 soon
Axle/Gears: stock 3.42 Posi to come
Lighting up center bird on 82-84 TA taillights

It had been posted on here that the bird on the 82-84 TA taillights could not be lit up. I decided then that I would like to do this and that it was possible. SO Challenge Accepted. I do not have it done yet but am working on it. I am wanting the center section to light up with the parking lights as well as the bird lighting up in red.

Parts I have:
Two center sections
One broken TA taillight
Red translucent or transparent plastic (Optional)
Firebird decal (still need)
LED lights.

The plan is simple. Doing not so easy. First cut out the back of one of the center sections. My best center section already was coming apart so I finished separating the front from the back. The back was cut using a very sharp utility knife from the back flush with the molded inset line so the front will glue back on easily. I purposely cut about 1/4 inch below the bottom line.

Also very carefully break out the firebird plastic insert. Take the second center and remove the firebird insert carefully by sanding everything away from the back side. The color and design are on the back. The design is recessed in grooves on the back. I sanded all the black off and carefully worked the gold out of the grooves.

I then took the old taillight apart by removing the pins on the top and then removing the metal clips on the bottom. I got the red plastic insert out to use. I measured and very carefully cut it to length using a hack saw. The red plastic is hard and somewhat brittle so be careful. Next I took it to the fine wheel on my grinder. I removed the bottom lip on the front of the plastic carefully this way. Now it fits in but hits the center lock hole area. I am going to cut the red to fit around this. I will trim it very carefully to almost the outside of the bird outline. This will aid in the bird lighting up brighter. I will start using my dremel with a saw blade and change tools to whatever I feel necessary.

I am also going to cut the side off the inside reverse lens. I will glue this to the side of the red insert where I cut it. This help me in glueing the red in place when I am ready. I have noticed that the taillights do not light up the top row so I will have to plan on blocking the top row area from getting light. Will decide on best way when I get to that.

For the bird I used a sharp chisel to remove the glue from the front piece and sanded and polished this area. To make the bird able to be lit up I have options. Get a black firebird decal but have it made in reverse. Cover the bird insert with red translucent vinyl then put the black over it and glue it in so that the glue is only under the black area. The second option is to take a piece of red translucent or transparent plastic and cover with masking tape and trace the good bird. With care and finess cut the bird out. Sanding to get the fine edge details right. Pull the masking tape off. Now put the black firebird reverse on the front and glue in place.

Problems I see coming... The red plastic center back insert looks like it will hit at the top over the key hole. I am unsure by how much but I will deal wth it when I get to that point.

For lighting I am going to use LED strips placed very strategically. They will mount to the back metal panel. Check and see where to put any weatherstrip or something to stop white light from showing where needed. One area will be around the area cut out of the red plastic center insert for the lit firebird.

I chose the red taillight insert for the reflectivity to use so it will match the taillights. It would have been much easier just using a piece of the transparent red plastic and glueing it in.

Feel free to ask any questions. I will continue working on this but have minimal time each day. Will post more pics when I have the bird area cut out of the red taillight plastic.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 08-23-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: correcting wrong information
Old 08-22-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Lighting up center bird on 82-85 TA taillights

I always love projects when someone simply states. "This is what I'm going to do".

Nothing about "Can this be done?", "How do I go about doing this?", "Has anyone done this before?"

Jump right in with a plan. It may not work or it might be fantastic but you're still willing to go ahead with an idea to make something that very few people may have.

Your above paragraph needs a little formatting. It's hard to read. To make forums easier to read, put spaces between paragraphs. A space between pictures helps also but you don't have a picture on top of a picture.
The following users liked this post:
91banditt2 (01-30-2020)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:15 PM

Thank you for the advice for the paragraph spaces. I have edited it. Will do that from now on. It would have been hard to ask how to do something when the general consensus used to be it could not be done. In cases like this I agree with you in that there is no point in asking. I wanted it and figured out a way. Some projects like engine building would be different. I have always greatly respected your opinion. Thank you.

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
I always love projects when someone simply states. "This is what I'm going to do".

Nothing about "Can this be done?", "How do I go about doing this?", "Has anyone done this before?"

Jump right in with a plan. It may not work or it might be fantastic but you're still willing to go ahead with an idea to make something that very few people may have.

Your above paragraph needs a little formatting. It's hard to read. To make forums easier to read, put spaces between paragraphs. A space between pictures helps also but you don't have a picture on top of a picture.

Last edited by AlkyIROC; 08-23-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:02 PM

I have cut my red plastic taillight insert so that it is just outside the bird emblem. Everything fits good now. I held everything together and tried fitting it in the car. Despite my fingers being a little big to fit under I got everything in and had no fitment problems. It is very close but no hitting.

My next step is to work at closing it off around where I cut for the bird. I also want to close off the end where I cut it with a hacksaw. Then I can glue it all in and reglue the front to the back.

I took two pics of it. One lit with a LED flashlight from behind and one of the cut plastic.

I was looking at a picture of the taillights and had a realization that this is not going to look right without more work. Need red lit above and below the reverse light and red lit up beside the reverse lights to have it continue all the way across. Both of these will be easy to do. For the reverse lights take the light apart and put red transparent vinyl over the top and bottom rows and close them off from the rest of the light. Then light them up with a short light strip. For the other area just cut the leftover red taillight insert to fit and use dremel to deal with the center light tab. Then more lights.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: Lighting up center bird on 82-84 TA taillights

I never liked these tail lights, but I think you may have changed my mind with this. Looking forward to the finished product
Old 08-26-2016, 10:10 PM

I have reached a temporay stop. I do not have the material I need for the next steps. The local dealers do not want to bother with a small piece so I needed to order it. I am wanting the transparent sheets in red and gray and a red transparent plastic about a foot square. I know I do not need that much but have another idea for a little of it. In the mean time I have started the next project for the Bird. A modified factory flat spoiler.

As soon as the material I am wanting is here I will stop work on the spoiler and start back on this right away. Hopefully sometime towards the end of next week.

Scooter- If this light project just makes you think then I succeeded in respect to you. I am not saying you need to like it when finished because we each have the right to our own opinion and I have to respect yours. These were not my first or even second choice for lights when I bought the car but as I firmed up plans for how I wanted it to look on the outside. These fit the theme 'Old School' the best.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 152 Likes on 97 Posts
Car: 1984 T/A
Engine: LQ4
Axle/Gears: Ford 8.8 4.10 gears

coming along nice!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:19 PM

Re: Lighting up center bird on 82-84 TA taillights'

I have started working on these again. I only have part of material I ordered in but it is enough to get started again. I cut the outside edge of the reverse lens from the old taillight and prepped it for gluing to red piece I already cut for the center. This will make the edge where I cut it to length before and will help in sealing off white light.

I cut strips of the transparent red and gray vinyl sheets. Most at 3/4 except the bottom row was 5/8 wide. Put two layers of red on the front of the good reverse lens itself but only the top and bottom rows. The middle three were left alone. More work on these to come.

Put one layer of the gray on the front of the red plastic center piece that I already had cut. Now when glued in behind the stock tinted outside plastic of the center piece it will look almost the same as the taillights.

I have everything I have ready for the center piece in my truck to take to work and glue together when I get off tomorrow. When dry I can start sealing off around the center bird cutout.

I have started looking at LED Lights strips for later. I may not do all LEDs. It does not appear they will look the way I want. Am looking into other options like other small regular bulbs as well as LEDs.

Next start sealing off my modified reverse lenses and the area next to them in red. Am still waiting for the 1/8th inch thick red transparent plastic I ordered.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:58 PM

Re: Lighting up center bird on 82-84 TA taillights'

I had a minor setback. I glued everything together carefully and after dry had white on everything. It was clean to start so I can only assume something from the industrial epoxy I used. Cut it back apart and started cleaning it off. Got it all off but want to use a plastic polish for it to look better. Will get some tomorrow.

I am going to start cutting the bird out of the red translucent plexiglass tomorrow also. I will cut close then sand and file it to the line. When done this will give me a surface I can polish so it looks more original.

I took the measurements I found for the sail panel birds and they should work to shrink a very little for the taillight bird. I need to get a day off to find another sign shop and talk to someone. The one I had talked to a while ago has closed.

In the meantime I dreamed up another project for the bird. Still working on the custom spoiler.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If red plexiglass doesn't work then look into Testors red translucent spray paint. Its what the camaro guys use to change their amber sections on their taillights to red.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member

Dude, we NEED more pictures
Old 09-17-2016, 08:48 PM

I never thought of the testors. That would have worked just fine but the bird insert I have is a bit rough. Could have worked with a new insert though. They seem to be available on Ebay.

I will get more pics once I finish sealing off for white light coming around.

I talked to the lady at the sign shop I wanted to use and she probably can not do it. She can not resize a scanned in image to cut out. I called another place I have dealt with a long time ago and they said it should be no problem. I need to have my image and measurements. I have everything but still need a day off.

Everything cleaned up good and finally glued back together. Sealed off the top easily with a piece of the black plastic I cut out of the back. Started sealing off around the bird cutout. I would have finished today but ran out of glue. Maybe tomorrow.

I did get the bird cut from the red plexiglass. It was a bit troublesome getting it to fit like the original but it is in and looks good.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: Missing
Transmission: Missing
Axle/Gears: 9" Ford

I have never had good luck with translucent spray paint. it always came out blotchy and inconsistent. The best way to do any translucent color is to mix up some clear coat and add a little bit of color to it. Same way you would tint tail lights. And it doesn't turn ashy.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 405 Likes on 258 Posts
Car: 1984 TA (1 stock / 1 custom)
Engine: LG4 / turbo LQ4
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Stock / 4:11 Moser 9"

Originally Posted by scooter
Dude, we NEED more pictures
+1 - cool project, but would be easier to see what you're describing with some pics.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:04 PM

I felt up to working on this again tonight. Some days I barely feel able to do anything I am so drained and exhausted from work. I nearly finished blocking the light coming around the bird cutout in the red reflective lens. Have pics showing what I did. I pieced small pieces around the cut out to stop the light. I did cut the plastic to somewhat follow the angles of the red lens.

Showing the plastic pieced around the bird.

I did grind back part of the area around the trunk lock for the bird to look better when lit up. Left the top part for some strength there.

A little more work blocking light, I am very particular, and some black paint around the red plastic bird edges will nearly finish this part.

The red plastic bird lit up.

Still need to get the reverse decal made. I hope to be able to get a day off next week to go in and give them everything they will need.

I am also going to start repairing the corner bolt holes. These are always somewhat broken but can be fixed. I still have an old broken center section to cut patch pieces from.

Ran out of glue again but am going to start on the block off pieces in the reverse light areas. Am also going to get the other red lens pieces glued in between the reverse lights and the center section. Need to cut around the tab from the center section.

Any special pics wanted just let me know I will be glad to get them.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 09-21-2016 at 08:19 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 09-21-2016, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

FINALLY!

Looks cool man. Keep it up
Old 09-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1984 F41 Camaro
Engine: LC1 V6 2.8L
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

looks great, final product finished yet?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 PM

Have been sick for nearly a week now. Finally feeling up to working on this again.

I have ordered some led light strips and some 194 led bulbs and sockets. Also ordered a small roll of silver chrome mirror vynil sheeting. The vynil sheeting is to put behind, beside, etc. the bulbs and strips. Hopefully help out the lights shining through.

Made patterns for the top and bottom block off plates in the reverse light area. The top is much different from the bottom but each side is a mirror copy of the other. Have started cutting the plates. Will post more pics when they are cut and ready to glue in.

Then some weatherstripping and the vynil to get ready for the lighting. Then more pics again.

I should be getting Friday off to see about the reverse decal. I am thinking about adding four more different decals to the order and requesting they keep the image on file if possible because I will still be needing two more for another small interior touch I will be doing.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 PM

I did get tomorrow, Fri., off. Will check on decals in the morning. Got one reverse light lens glued up and the pieces cut for the other. I took a pic of this.

The other side is ready to glue up but I wanted to get the pic.

The 194 bulb sockets came in today. They were shipped by UPS and by USPS both. Both are listed on the shipping label on the package. As long as they got here though. The sockets are smaller than I expected which is a good thing.

Waiting on the chrome vynil I ordered to cover some of this to help reflect light.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:52 PM

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
Car: 85-6 TA 85IROC 82-6 MSE 15th/83pace
Engine: Slow ones
Transmission: 700R4/T5
Axle/Gears: Weak ones

Very cool. Definitely interested in one
Old 09-30-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by t/aws61985
Very cool. Definitely interested in one
When I get done I will give a way that is much easier but still somewhat involved to light up just the bird. I will also give an idea for cost, including LED light strips, and about how long it might take. Several years ago on a thread it was said this could not be done. It can but not as easy as the later years.

For me I am almost at a stop except for fixing the bolt mounting holes. I need the rest of the parts I ordered. They should be here next week.

Went to the decal sign shop. They were very encouraging and should have something ready early next week. The person I talked to was very knowledgable and seemed to appreciate that I had all the figuring done. I turned in two different projects for the Bird. Next time I will not have to get off from work but still have 8 days left to take.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 09-30-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:05 PM

I nearly finished up everything except for the lighting.

Bolt holes have repair pieces ready. Ran out of money to buy more glue. Will buy it Fri. when I get paid again.

Got the 194 LED's in today. Will start experimenting with bulb placement to get the look I want. I expect two or three on each side between reverse lights and center section. Unknown about how many needed for the center section towards the outside edges. Working in the dark with the lit LED bulbs will allow me to experiment with placement and see they look from the outside.

The fun will be making the holes for the sockets. They have to have a tab on each side to slide in and twist. I believe I figured out an easy way. Drill the center and then dremel the tabs. They need to be close but not exact.

I planned on and it appears the top and bottom strips on the reverse will require a LED light strip. Also LED strips are required behind the bird. I ordered 12 strips so I will have plenty to use as needed (when they get here).

I can set the three tail light pieces in position on a board while doing my checking.

I have looked at them with the whole back area blocked off and they look nearly like stock but there is a slight reddish look behind the smoked lens like the taillights in the center section. It looks like it could be stock if you did not know any better. Will post a pic when back on the car. So far I am very pleased with the way it is turning out. I need to find the second sequential unit I bought way back when to complete this.

More pics after I get more glue and the silver mirror chrome vynil. Then later pics lit up and off.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:30 PM

The chrome vynil came in today so I got more glue and got busy again.

Finished repairing the mounting holes.

Put the chrome vynil on the reverse area block off plates, both sides, and on the sides of the center section. Still need to do the inside sides. But got pics of what I did.

Took pics of the light setup together and with a light shining in the reverse light area.

Need to make two small block off plates for over the areas next to the reverse lights.

Then to start figuring out the lighting.

Was not expecting something this soon but nothing on the Bird decal yet.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 10-03-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like the PONTIAC lettering on the center section is gold.
Did that piece come from a recaro edition trans am?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 PM

I do not believe so because I had three. This one was the best. The others had broken reflector next to PONTIAC lettering or broken lens. All were gold lettering. I have never found one with silver lettering but I always wondered about the gold lettering. I would be curious to know more about this.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:37 AM
Supreme Member

The lettering should be silver unless it was a recaro edition. It's possible someone painted it. I've only ever seen the silver versions until I found my '83 Recaro TA earlier this year. Before purchasing it, I researched how to confirm it was real and learned about the different color.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 PM

I lit the red areas that had been reverse light with the LED light strips. One in each. The odd shaped top section required some real thought. I cut the other LED strip at two sections, six led's, and the top at three section lengths. I had to wrap it up the side angle, down the side, across the bottom and up the other side, then down the other odd side angle area. Ran both strips so the wires were on the same side of the lights. Then through a small hole and out the back. They look good to me.

For the small narrow area I experimented and finally came up eith the idea of a light strip on the taillight curved bolt reinforcement ledge area. Cut at three sections and it worked good. Pics to come.

Tried playing around lighting the outside areas of the center section and did not like the looks of anything. Tried cutting cardboard and taping light strips or the LED 194 bulbs to it. Nothing looked good to me. Need to do more experimenting to come up with something I can be happy with. I have one idea left to try before I look at a much more radical idea. Will try to have something figured out tomorrow.

Called the sign and decal shop yesterday, Fri., and was told he was working on it. Had issues resizing it so is working to redraw parts of it so it looks right. He said he was probably being to picky but wanted it right. Said he expects Tuesday or Wednesday to have something ready. Any opinions about whether gloss or flat black for the overlay where it is not going to be lit up. I was originally thinking flat but since was wondering about gloss as other outside bird overlays will be gloss to blend in with the future paint color and thought that gloss might match the blacked out look of these taillights better. Let me know...

Last edited by 91phoenix; 10-08-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by battmann
The lettering should be silver unless it was a recaro edition. It's possible someone painted it. I've only ever seen the silver versions until I found my '83 Recaro TA earlier this year. Before purchasing it, I researched how to confirm it was real and learned about the different color.
I did some quick checking myself because you mentioned it. You seem to be right, gold was for the Recaro TA's. Mine was definitely not repainted. Have been thinking about changing the lettering on the driver side headlight bezel to gold but haven't found a gold lettered bezel.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 PM

Finally had good results in simulating the lighting. I am not going to use the 194 LED bulbs at all. Found that the light strips work good at a certain distance range away from the lens. I do not have enough but have ordered more.

The plan is based on my radical idea. I need to get and weld in a 90 degree bent metal panel on each side of the center area that is bent out for the hatch latch. Then run the LED strips across with one strip for each of the five light sections vertically. I will cut some and piece them on each side to achieve the look I want. The metal panel will be easy to get because of where I work. I came up with approx 3 1/2 by 6 inches with a bend at about 1 1/8 inches. Pics of everything when this is done.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

Progress pictures!!

I like what you have shown so far
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 PM

I got the metal panels and welded them in. As I am waiting on more light strips I went ahead and got some more pics.

This is the two light strips in the reverse light area and the red covered one for the area next to the reverse. The red was because both my daughter and I thought it looked orange without it. The strips are zip tied in because the adhesive backing did not hold real well.

This is with the last tail/turn signal lit with the reverse mods and next to it with an incomplete simulation for the center section.

The metal panels I welded in. These are stainless steel but still need to prime and paint over the welds. Then chrome vinyl to cover everything and the light strips. The panels leave about 1/4 inch clearance each side. Once the light strips are in I will solder all wire connections and get them tied in to the park lights.

Still need some block of plates at the very top of the area between the reverse and center section and some other minor work.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 10-12-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, it looks better to put the proper color LED behind the lens, so put a red LED behind the red lens etc
Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM

Yeah, it looks better to put the proper color LED behind the lens, so put a red LED behind the red lens etc
Your opinion please. Do you think I should order the red LED strips or try wrapping the white strips I have and already ordered more of in the red like I did for the area next to the reverse lights. I want what is going to work the best. The strips are not very expensive so I could order them on payday and just have the white strips as extras for something else. I will just have to wait a little longer for them to get here to finish this.

The last part of this besides the lighting and block off plates is the bird decal. I finally heard from the sign and decal shop. It is ready. Am going to stop by there tomorrow after I get off work because I am getting off a little early. It has been almost a month since I talked to the first place. They sounded like they could not do anything so I went in to this place two weeks ago when I got a day off.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Get the red LED, wrapping the LED will decrease output and the color won't be as good since you're essentially doing the same as lighting the red lens with a white light. Unless you need or want the reduced light output. I think the lens with the same color LED behind deepens the lens color compared to the "white" light from an incandescent. But putting the proper color behind the lens the lens doesn't have to "filter" light since the wavelength is already close. I think the white LED would be similar
Old 10-13-2016, 10:00 PM

I understood most of that and it does make good sense. I will order the red light strips. At the very least I think I need them behind the bird as that plastic is not quite as dark as the taillight lens. I can still use the white I have to help be ready for when the red ones get here. Then I can try white, red covered white, and red to see which looks the and blends in the best. I will order enough red to finish this and then later order more for extras. I have an idea for one or two more later.

Will post pics of the bird with the decal as soon as I have something together and worthwhile to show.

Thank you very much for your quick reply Scooter.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:04 PM

I got the rear bird decal from the sign shop. They made it facing the wrong way but can easily cut one facing the right direction. It does look good but they put it on the old insert. I will get another when I am ready for it. They are working on the second part of the job I gave them.

I got the red LED strips in. After several different non car related setbacks I finally got to work on it again. I experimented by taping in the light strips and checking to see what looked the best. Marked the location for each strip to get ready to zip tie it in place. At this point I went ahead and covered 1/2 of one of the strips in the red cellophane and replaced one with the red. Comparing the two the red was to bright. The white was to orange. The cellophane covered was the closest to the original look. I tried several variations and could not find anything that looked better than what is in the pic.

I did find that I needed to cut the sides of the center insert off close to where it is glued in for the edges to light up better. Did that and zip tied the light strips in place. Wired them to a 12V converter for now.

The left side strip is there just not wired up temporary like the others.

Decided I need to sand the black off the tabs to try and get some red through them. I need to get all these strips wired up together and soldered. Then get them wired to the parking light circuit. Then another full pic and the red bird with the decal. Then move the hatch lock out some and call it done.

I had another thought but would like to know your thoughts. In the reverse light area turn the center strip red and have the divided white areas for reverse lights. Would have to eliminate the reverse bulb and holes. Then put in led strips for the newly divided reverse lights. What do you think?

Last edited by 91phoenix; 10-27-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91phoenix
I had another thought but would like to know your thoughts. In the reverse light area turn the center strip red and have the divided white areas for reverse lights. Would have to eliminate the reverse bulb and holes. Then put in led strips for the newly divided reverse lights. What do you think?
Unfortunately I don't know what you're trying to get at here.

How about some pictures in the Dark? lol

Looks good so far
Old 11-05-2016, 10:27 PM

I got it all wired in. The main wire for the added lights was only a temporary hookup but it worked to get a pic in the dark. This is not done yet because the dark showed the little problems alot. Example would be the light under the center area and some light from the top of the reverse lens where it was originally painted black. Sadly I do not have a pro type camera to use. The colors are not very good.

This is also showing I have a burnt bulb. Just my luck.

A different angle for better color.

A closer view of the center bird.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 11-05-2016 at 10:47 PM.
91banditt2 (01-30-2020)
Old 11-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Supreme Member

Wow, that looks great. I would suggest putting LEDs in the reverse light part with a normally closed relay on them and have the relay open when you put the reverse lights on so the whole thing is lit while the running lights are on, but you get full functionality out of the reverse. I think that would look better, just looks odd with the unlit squares. I love the complete light look across the back, like The newer challengers
Old 11-06-2016, 12:52 PM

Thanks. I know exactly what you mean and can do that. I was thinking the same of the big open dark area. That was why I thought of lighting the center bar of that area but I like your idea better. May take me a bit but I am going to try that. The wiring should be simple with a DPDT relay. Just need to find one. I am also going to wire so that I could have the bird alone lit up but normally have it all lit.

Last edited by 91phoenix; 11-06-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:29 PM

Was thinking about this suggestion more and will definitely see what works best. Realized that one SPDT relay will work wired properly. Wire reverse normally, hook park lights to relay in open position, hook a reverse lead to relay as the trigger wire. When reverse is on relay closes and park light circuit is cut.

I can use any old light back and temporarily tape in lights and check results. Should be very easy. Then make the lights permanent.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1977 Trans Am, 1989 Formula

OK, I actually did something like this on my '89 Formula. See the pics I included for how it turned out on my first try at this. The hard part is getting the center panel separated, then putting it back together, and keeping the light from leaking through. I'm going to try a different method and see if I can improve this. I wired the running light wires to illuminate the bird. I had to scrape out the gold lines under the bird emblem itself to make it somewhat transparent, and stuck a gold colored clear film to try and color it gold, but it looks like its yellow. It is what it is, any thoughts?

scooter (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Supreme Member

i like it. is there any way you can block off the keyhole so just the bird is lit?
have any pictures of how you accomplished this?
Old 01-30-2020, 07:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts
Car: 1991 BandittII Firebird
Engine: 5.7 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

91phoenix very cool
I did mine when I was putting in the sequential turn signals on my 91 Firebird.

Last edited by 91banditt2; 01-30-2020 at 07:17 AM. Reason: not formatted right
Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91banditt2
91phoenix very cool
I did mine when I was putting in the sequential turn signals on my 91 Firebird.
Sequential turn signals
Do you have a thread on what you did to make that work?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Do you have a thread on what you did to make that work?
A bunch of years ago a couple members here were engineering and selling a relay for this, I was fortunate enough to be one of the last people to get there hands on one.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...formula-2.html
Old 01-30-2020, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91banditt2
A bunch of years ago a couple members here were engineering and selling a relay for this, I was fortunate enough to be one of the last people to get there hands on one.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...formula-2.html
I meant the housing modifications
Old 01-30-2020, 10:34 AM
Supreme Member

There's some info in these two threads, some over lapping info on what I did along with what others have also done
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/3527-firebird-taillight-centerpiece-mod-3.html

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/auto-detailing-appearance/3527-firebird-taillight-centerpiece-mod-3.html

Old 07-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1977 Trans Am, 1989 Formula

I'm gonna work out some things on my '89 formula up above.

Last edited by mykull83; 07-22-2021 at 10:39 PM.