Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

Order of operations, ground up build

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11
Order of operations, ground up build

I am building up my 91 Z28 to be a fun weekend toy. Drive to work sometimes too. No racing or anything like that, maybe someday take it to a track to see what that's like, but that will never be the norm.

Anyways, I have ripped the entire car apart (third time now). I have owned the car since I was 16. Back then I made a LOT of mistakes building it up, so I am currently undoing all my dumb things. Holes drilled everywhere, bashed in floor board to make room for bigger pipes, etc....

Car will be getting just about everything changed on it, 390 SBC, F1 Procharger, FMIC, T-56, Moser 12 bolt, air ride, custom interior, etc...

I am at the stage where I have finished the floor boards holes being welded up. Just need to grind my welds, seam seal anything and paint.

I have some old SFC on the car that I want to remove (long story). I have some new BMR fab outers that I want to put on as well as a 4 point roll bar.

Do you guys think the next step is to measure the body to ensure it is true, and install the 4 point? Then cut the old SFC out, check for true again, and install them? Followed by POR-15, then rubberized undercoat the entire car underbody?

Trying to figure out what the next steps are before I start actually bolting anything to this thing. Trying to do this much more thought out that I did things 15 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Order of operations, ground up build

Is the body stripped at this point?

has the car ever been in an accident?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Supreme Member

No accidents.

Body has nothing on it minus the hatch, simply because it is huge and hard to find a place to put it. I plan on painting the car in my garage, at that time, I will find a home for it.

I plan to remove the windshield as well, there is a bit of bubbling paint near it from my first paint job about 10 years ago.

I can post pics later, but to give you a better idea of the build. I have just completed the minitub install and modded the trunk floor to house a 15 gallon fuel cell under the car.

I have not updated this thread in some time, but the cell is mounted in its cage now, and ready to go in. Just don't want to install anything till I know the time is right.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...fuel-cell.html
Old 08-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

You will be fine with installing a 4pt in the car if you keep the old sfc in or not. If it was me, I would gut the interior and do the bar. If you plan on keeping the rear seats installed them make sure your rear hatch bars do not interfere with the seat backs. I did that on my last car and had to cut the straight bars out and have custom curved bars made up for me. Once the roll bar is in then I would cut one SFC off and install the new one. Then, repeat on other side.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Supreme Member

Inerior has been out for about 2 years now. Don't plan on keeping back seats. Need ton for air ride air tank, etc...

My last 6 point bar had the same issue with the back seats, the tops got crushed. This time around i am getting rid of them. No one ever sat back there.

Thanks for your input.

Hope to have the floor patches painted this weekend, then move on to trimming the main hoop.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z

I have some old SFC on the car that I want to remove (long story). I have some new BMR fab outers that I want to put on as well as a 4 point roll bar.

Do you guys think the next step is to measure the body to ensure it is true, and install the 4 point? Then cut the old SFC out, check for true again, and install them? Followed by POR-15, then rubberized undercoat the entire car underbody?

Thanks for any advice.
Since you can weld, post the BMR subframe connectors for sale in the classifieds section and make your own. I made my own set of inner subframe connectors and the fit is perfect. Then I took my set of UMI outer connectors and put them in place and saw that to fit correctly they would require the use of a BFH against the car and connectors. The outer connectors are sooooooo soooo easy to weld together a set from scratch that I wouldn't be surprised if I have just as much time in making them fit the way I want them to as if I had just made my own set.

Next, if the car hasn't had any big hits I would just level the jack stands and put them underneath the suspension points and weld away.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z

Trying to figure out what the next steps are before I start actually bolting anything to this thing. Trying to do this much more thought out that I did things 15 years ago.
I am in the same boat. I'm glad to see youre back for another build. Every time i think i have an order of operations life seems to get in the way of being able to do them. My car is a stripped shell also but instead of buying car parts, i needed to buy concrete for my garage. A lift got moved to the top of the order also. So thats probably my budget for the year lol.

I'm still stuck on the order of installing subframe connectors, or putting rust bullet on. I also have raptor liner to put on over the rust bullet. Work this out with me. Do i put rust bullet on then grind for the subframe connectors to be welded on? Or do i have the subframe connectors put on and potentially miss getting complete coverage with the rust bullet/ raptor liner since i wont be able to get next to the body? This has defeated me for a long time. I've come to think that i''ll put the sfc's on and then do everything and coat liberally. After the slp sfc's rusted out on my 4th gen, i dont want that to happen to this one also.