Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

87 Firebird, 355 V8, rebuilt bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Firebird, 355 V8, rebuilt bottom end

The car is a burgundy 1987 Firebird Formula with a TA hood. The chassis has 146k on it. Car is located in Grand Blanc, MI 48439.

I bought the car several months ago from a guy who couldn't park it in his trailer park. The motor came from a truck, and had the bottom end rebuilt (bearings and rings) about 100 miles before I bought it. The heads weren't rebuilt, and do leak a (very) small bit of oil through the intake valves when the motor is cold. The rear is a 2.73 open. The motor has a bigger-than-stock cam, but not by much, and I don't know the specs. Also, the A/C has been removed (except for a couple of pipes and the condenser).

Here's the good about the car:
- 355 V8, Holley 650 carb (vacuum secondaries)
- brand new spark plugs (gapped to .038) and wires, new MSD HEI dizzy that was installed with the motor
- Edelbrock performer intake manifold
- 700R4 Trans
- (relatively) new paint, burgundy
- Brand new hood and hatch struts
- Trans Am hood
- Brand new rear end oil
- Brand new battery

Here's what needs work:
- Idler arm is loose, so there is play in the steering (car still tracks straight)
- Car has no headliner
- Car has no radio
- Some separation on the sides of the center console
- Gauges (besides battery volts and fuel) don't work. For some reason the previous owner CUT the signal wire for the tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges and the speedo signal is just unplugged from the trans.
- Headlights don't pop up

I have spent probably close to 500 or 600 bucks here and there on the car fixing up stuff as I found it. Most of all I spent an entire day rewiring everything from the battery to the starter solenoid when the car refused to start one day. I've also tuned the carb as best I could, blocked off a bunch of vacuum leaks and adjusting the throttle valve cable. The suspension is in good condition (the shocks and swaybars, anyway), even though the car does clunk going over potholes, I believe that it's just old bushings.

The car starts and runs great, pulls hard considering the stock exhaust, but then I was raised on Hondas. I am certainly willing to negotiate some of the maintenance items, particularly the headlights, idler arm and gauges.

I'd like to get 2,300 for the car, because that's about what I've got into it all told, but feel free to make me an offer you think is fair.

I also have some Hooker 2055's with the y-pipe and a Catco universal 3-in cat, also a new radiator air dam. Feel free to make an offer on those.

ph. 708-655-5090