Firebirds Wanted Looking to buy a specific Firebird? Post your Want Ad here.

Wanted 1982 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Corvette
Transmission: Automatic
Wanted 1982 Trans Am

Hi Everyone am New Here hoping someone could help I have Been a Knight Rider Fan since I was a Kid since then I always Loved the Third Generation F-Body Trans Am. These past Months I Have been trying to find an 82 Trans Am but with no look it seems all the one's that I find on Craiglist that have Original Low Miles with A Really Cheap Price on them look's like there too good to be True.Am Looking for an 1982 Trans Am Rust Free Black Paint Original Low Miles Automatic for a Good Price I would prefer someone around me that can bring the car to me Or If your not that close am willing to Hire A Transport Company to get it and bring it to Me.I Have looked on places like Ebay and a Few Other's in the Past it Looked like most of the Third Generation with Original Low Miles doesn't Go for that Much I found a few that have like 40,000 for like 6,000 but they Wear 87-89.Am Hoping Someone Could Help Me Out or Point me in the right Direction on how to find one along with Help Educate Me on them Because I never had one I have a Corvette but I never had a Trans Am I remember a few people saying there crap Car's always having problems and so on but I would Like to hear from all of you that have or had a Third Generation Firebird Trans Am Thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 trans am
Engine: 305 crossfire
Transmission: th200c
Re: Wanted 1982 Trans Am

I have an 82 ta and besides being older if taken care of there not bad. There great cruising cars and have a unique look that always turns heads.low miles can be tough to find but I'll keep an eye out.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:21 PM

Thanks Asgard815 really appreciate it I have another question I just asked someone that does Knight Rider parts about the Trans Am that they used he said they used the 82-85 model's so my question is now the F-bodys from 82-85 is there anything different between them besides the shift *** on the automatic because if that's true that they used those years I can look for another year to buy and drive in thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:05 PM

im pretty sure they used the 82-84's i think for that show. i think the 82 was the only one with the shift **** they used in the show. another thing i think is the 82-84 or 85 was it? didnt have the ground effects on them. if you go with a later year for your kitt thing you would have to take the ground effects off which then leaves holes to fill in. also the 82-84 has the flat typee taillights i think with the correct spoileri where as th e later years have the tailights that stick out a bit more with a different spoiler. i think the reason people choose the early years for the kitt things is they come with the right parts mostly where as the later years although better motor and such require you to go find parts off the earlier years and transplant them. if your not worried about stock power and such i would guess an earlier year like an 82-84 or 85 would be better for you cause you would get alot of the stuff u need already on the car.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:12 PM

i saw this on craigslist http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...558219171.html
dunno what your budget is or what not but this would probably be the type of car your looking for. seems to also have the pmd seats that all knight rider fans are always searching for cause their so hard to find. and very expensive so thats a huge bonus lol.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:42 PM

Hi Asgard815 I will look into it I really appreciate you helping me out one more question please lol you said the later F-Bodys Motors are better how are they better then the earlier ones thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Well as far as better it's mostly that their tpi instead of the crossfire. Not to say crossfire is bad but it's not very popular and a lot of mechanics may find the tpi easier to work on. I think the later ones came with overdrive as well which people like. Honestly u can always change the tranny if overdrive is important to you and if you don't care much about how fast it is stock the older ones would be more suited for your knight rider adventure.Will save u the time of looking for parts and will be more fun to mess with imo.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:34 PM

Hi Asgrd815 thanks I Emailed the person that you gave me from craiglist I also found anther Person on Craiglist that has a nice clean 83 one with only 20,000 original miles my question is how much do they sell for with original low miles because the person is looking for 12,000 but am looking to pay way less then that but am not sure if his price is right or not could you help appreciate it thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 PM

Hi Asgard815 really appreciate you helping me out I wrote to you before but it looks like it didn't get posted if it does get posted ignore this one lol you know a lot about these cars so am hoping you could help with this also after I wrote to the person on craiglist that you gave me I found a nice clean 83 trans am with 20,000 original miles on craiglist but the person is looking for 12,000 am looking to pay way less then that I want to make him an offer cause he does take them but I don't know what to offer am hoping you could help with that is his price right or do they sell even less then that even if they have low miles thanks.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:13 PM

for only 20k miles you are gonna pay the price will really come down to the condition of the car. assuming its in good conditionn but not mint perhaps you could maybe offer between 8-9k depending on how bad he wants to sell it. unless the car is in mint condition 12k seem a bit high to me even for the low miles. value is a matter of opinion though so its a tuff thing to decide.why is low miles important to you? cause your gonna pay a bit for low miles since these cars arent as common as they once were.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:19 PM

Hi Asgard815 low miles is not that important but most of the Trans Am's that I find have like 125k-200k there looking for like 8,000 which seems really high to me but hey what do I know right lol I did find an 82 Trans Am in Florida that has the kitt bumper and scanner i put the link below what do you think this would be worth sorry that i keep asking you questions but you know a lot more then me thanks.
http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5540000767.html
Old 05-07-2016, 05:01 PM

if knight rider is your end goal 8k is fair considering the parts that have been purchased already. with the bumper and scanned and the sterring wheel you save prolly about 1500$ in knight rider parts plus the pmd seats come with it which usually go for like 500-600$. without all that the car is only worth maybe 2-3k. it does have theturbocast rim and hubcaps looks like which would run you another probably 1300$ so all in all its a lil more then its worth persay but it would save you alot of time and aggrivation finding parts and such so if you want to do a kitt replica its not a horrible price. no great but not horrible i suppose.i think that price is probably including his time and effort tracking down and buying some of those rare parts.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Want a title? Post!

I agree with asgard815 that if your goal is to build a Kitt, the craigslist ad you posted would be good. Maybe you could get the price down a little, note in pics the ac hose and compressor are gone. Smoke on start up is usually valve stem seals, not necessarily a major fix. For the age it looks good. I have an 84 T/A black and gold. Cheaper but rougher. To do a Kitt kit you would probably spend as much in the long run. Oh I am between Ocala and Daytona, if you come down to look. D.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:17 PM

Hi phoenix50 thanks for writing too the only problem is I wouldn't be able to go there cause I wouldn't have time to do it there for I would have to do paypal and transport the car here wear I am but I never did that before is paypal safe when buying cars? I know thru ebay your fine but what if it would be off ebay also how much would it be to fix the valve stem seals add the ac hose and compressor is there anything else you see in the picture that is missing I did write to him and he said he would go down to 6,000 something let me know what you think cause you and asgard815 know alot more then me I would really appreciate the help thanks.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Want a title? Post!

I don't know anything about buying a vehicle long distance. I couldn't buy or sell one without a face to face transaction, Sorry. Guess-timate on Ac compressor job would be at least $600 down here pending other issues. As for valve stem seals, (and ac) you should call a local shop. I haven't done retail work in a couple years. But good luck in your ventures. D.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:36 PM

Hi Phonenix50 and Asgard815 how is it going I have a question how much do you think an 82 trans am with 107,000 miles its ok shape has front bumper and side panel damage he hit into a pole be worth? because hes looking for 3,200.00 for it thanks
Old 06-13-2016, 05:53 PM

pics would help. if damage isnt too bad its nto a bad price. hard to say because a car like that is only worth that money to us. a normal person would laugh at the price for an old beat up car. i know the 82's are popular with the knight rider folk especially for their parts. if it drives and damage isnt horrible it doesnt sound bad. especially since 82 is tough to find being the first year of the body style and so many having been parted already. if you didnt care about the year you coudl find one cheaper and better condition but being set on an 82 you might have to just go for it. if you get some pics of damage post em so we could give u a better idea.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:59 PM

i have an extra front bumper for an 82 if you need it. if the bumper on that is pretty rough
Old 06-13-2016, 07:21 PM

Hi Asgard815 here are some pictures when it comes to the Trans Am I really don't anything about them LOL

Old 06-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Hey Asgard815 I posted some pictures what do you think
Old 06-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Want a title? Post!

ClaudioAA, Asgard815, tell me if you like this at all. I'm in central Florida south-west of Daytona. http://s970.photobucket.com/user/sofdw/library/Trigger Driver's door is back together now.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:01 PM

Hey Phonenix50 what year is that also I have another question the picture I posted of the Trans am that am interested in doesn't have Trans Am name on it on the bumper or any wear so is the car am interested in a Trans Am cause every car I look at always has Trans Am on it but this one doesn't thanks
Old 06-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Want a title? Post!

I couldn't tell you if THAT ONE is a T/A or not. Research the wheels. Paint scheme is like mine. It also does not have a/c compressor. Engine has been painted old Pontiac blue. Headers and intake manifold have been added. May have been rebuilt or exchanged, but good or bad who knows. I don't see window switches on console either (crank style). Looking at shifter it does not appear to have an overdrive transmission. Just my observations, I do not claim to be the Guru.
Mine is an '84 and has cowl induction hood. I have the factory air cleaner to fit it. Some things may have changed since '82. If you have more questions on mine make a list and I will send you full report.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 PM

Hi Phoenix50 that's the problem I know nothing about these car and can't find info to make sure if it is in facted a Trans Am or not I did bid on it but am thinking of letting it go because am not sure if its a T/A if there is anything else that you can think of that would help me make sure it really is one I would really appreciate it
Old 06-20-2016, 01:03 PM

sorry been busy. looking at the pictures its a toss up. it definitely an 82 judging by the spoiler and shifter. power windows were an option on firebirds dont know if they were standard on trans am for that year. v8 was also an option on a firebird base or s/e. the only thing i know for sure was only trans am were given the crossfire injection option on the v8 that year. ask for a wider picture of the motor. if it has crossfire injection its a transam. unless it was removed and engine replaced which is possible then that makes it tuffer. th-200 3 spd auto was available on only v8 but i think u coudl get it with firebird as well. ask for vin and run it and will tell you what model it is.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:48 AM
On Probation

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans Am KITT Replica
Engine: LU5 305 CROSSFIRE
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3:23

I have been dealing with '82-84 firebirds for 13 years now, thanks to knight rider

Claudio: All I can say is "GOOD LUCK" finding a LOW mile black t-top '82 trans am for "Cheap", It is possible, But VERY hard these days !!!!
2 years ago, I picked up a California 1982 trans am, 1 owner, 43K miles,Crossfire,t-top,15" turbo cast wheel and black caps for only $500

As we are now in 2016 and those years are getting hard to find in nice condition

Be prepared to pay $7000-12,000 for VERY LOW MILE t-top 1982-1984 . If you see one under 50,000 miles for $5000 or less then BUY IT ASAP !!

Oh and I wouldn't touch that car in the pics, Looks like its been in a few wrecks and replaced with incorrect parts. Looking at the VIN on eBay, It's a TRUE 1982 Trans Am.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Tran...m=112041581273

good luck

Dave
Old 07-18-2016, 02:15 PM

Hi 3rdgenparts I did pass on that one I just didn't feel it I have been looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Tran...m=191921682509
am not really looking for a low low miles one anymore because am looking to put either a a 2016 trans am or a 2016 corvette engine in it am looking to have my Kitt not only look like Kitt but act like Kitt am looking to add a lot of things to it keyless,park by himself ,backup camera,camera in the front,Blind Spot Monitor,Curb view camera, all the the new technology that is out there am looking to put it into My Kitt its going to be my Daily Drive but of course to add all the things of thinking of is going to cost a lot of $$$$$$.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:26 PM
On Probation

There is NO 2016 Trans am. Do you mean the new 2016 Camaro ??

All those things you want, will require specialist crew and will cost ALLOT of $$$$$$$$$

$30,000-50,000

Good luck on that

Dave
Old 07-18-2016, 03:04 PM

Hi 3rdgenparts aren't they coming out with a new Trans Am I saw pictures and they had Burt Reynolds in it too or was it a fake ad?

Last edited by ClaudioAA; 07-18-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: Automatic Transmission

those are just body kits on a camaro as far as i know. Pontiac motor division is gone unless they will call it the Chevrolet Trans am which I truly hope not.

Going with a new corvette/camaro engine is not a good idea. Althought it sounds like brilliance there is a reason why no one here has done it. Its just not worth the money or the headache.

If a motor swap is what your looking to do u can do a GM crate engine like a ZZ4 fast burn but there are tons of options.

A 350 L98 would be the easiest swap but the factory HP on these cars are nowhere near fast enuf so it would take some aftermarket upgrades to make it quick.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:22 AM

Car: 1987 GTA & 1984 Trans Am
Engine: 383 stroker TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I'll sell you my 1984 for $6500 which is way nicer than the one in your pics. 3 owners, GMAC lease for 3 years, a friend of mine for 25, and me 4

years.

Bob

Old 08-01-2016, 12:00 AM
On Probation

That's a CLEAN car Bob has !!!

Good owner history and low miles

And its a black, t-top, with correct KITT tan interior. It has a 700R4 VS a '82 with TH200 no overdrive.

Would recommend that car

Dave
Old 08-05-2016, 12:11 AM
On Probation

So one of you NY guys bought it ?? LOL

How is it worth $8000 ???? LMAO HAHAHAHA

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/5717118794.html
Old 08-25-2016, 12:03 AM
GMG
Want a title? Post!

Bob, is your '84 still available? Check your pm for my contact info...