History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Value (rarity) of 1LE Package...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi
I'll tell you what, when I get home tomorrow I'll snap some pictures of the interior of my 'bird. My seat bolsters are not broke down and wore out and the carpet does need a bit of vacuuming and the dust wiped down (and a new windshield) but I would be honest in saying that the interior of my car is probably the cleanest I've seen on cars that old with that many miles.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56
Its puzzling to me that others want to judge whats okay and not okay to do with cars that they don't even own If someone lays cold hard cash out for a car and wants to cover it in oil and shrink wrap it thats their choice and if its what makes them happy its their right to do so If someone decides to buy a car and drive the snot out of it then thats their choice and thats their right If you buy it you own it and you can do whatever the heck you want to it.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2009 Volvo V50 R Design
Engine: 2.0 turbo diesel
Transmission: 6 speed auto
Axle/Gears: yes, both
Originally posted by RB83L69
"Rare" is one thing; "value" is quite another.

A thing is only worth what the current owner and a prospective owner agree on. Unfortunately, not many people know about the 1LE option, and not many of those really care very much. So I seriously doubt that it will make a really significant difference in the long-term "value" of such a car. You'd be REALLY lucky if you could reliably get a 25% boost in your car's sale price over an otherwise identical car without it.

Enjoy it, you've got a special car that's pretty much all the 3rd gen you could possibly get; but don't bet on it being worth a fortune or anything.
i want to buy a car from you!!

1LE cars in good condition and low miles ae already fetching double the going rate for a standard car, and the values are only going to go up.

in 10 years time, you'll all be wishing you kept that thirdgen you beat to death because its worth nothing, but the real earners will be Pace car Camaro's 1LE cars, and TTA's

even over the last 5 years, second gen prices have rocketed, watch thirdgens do the same.

there is absolutely NO reason why a thirdgen will eventualy be any less collectable than any other Camaro.

Old 10-16-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28 Clone
Engine: 350 w/TBI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: Spicer 3:73 Auburn Posi
Re: Value (rarity) of 1LE Package...

Bringing back from the dead. Funny reading back on some of these comments from the time and seeing how things have trended since. I just paid $13k for my 1LE and I'm willing to bet its value will skyrocket in years to come. Guys from my generation who were kids when these were new and our dream car at the time, are getting older, have decent jobs and can afford nicer examples. As the collector generations shift, these will continue (as they have) to become more valuable. (Nice examples) I've owned 6 camaros so far, and I find it funny that many owners still hate on reality of these cars gaining value. Like someone said 10 years ago
Or more on this thread, everyone knows what an IROC is (defines the 3rd gen camaro), knows some one that had one, had one themselves, and as a result WILL be a definition car or the 80's and 90's which will make it collectible. Haggery shows last 5 year trend going up, and I think well
Continue to see that trend for nice example cars. The reality of it though is... if your happy, that's all that matters, and a car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Well thanks for bringing such a unique thread back to the top. It's been forever since we've talked about 1LEs.

I'm sorry, but this discussion is so frequent it's really, really, old and tiresome. If a person truly appreciates any thirdgen for what it is, it doesn't matter in the slightest what the resale collector value might be.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:55 PM

Car: 1989 IROC G92 LB9 MK6
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MK6
Axle/Gears: 3.45

1LE's ROCK
Old 10-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha! Love this topic! I'll be selling my 91 with 9k miles on it soon so I'll check back and let you guys know what it sold for. It's not stock also but period correct add ons so we will see. Oh, it's the larger engine with an auto, black with grey interior.

Vince
Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by Drew
Well thanks for bringing such a unique thread back to the top. It's been forever since we've talked about 1LEs.

I'm sorry, but this discussion is so frequent it's really, really, old and tiresome. If a person truly appreciates any thirdgen for what it is, it doesn't matter in the slightest what the resale collector value might be.
LOL and we had actually gone a couple of weeks without talking about them.

The one interesting thing to note here however is the values and the interest 12 years ago was still there. Although we do know more about them now and some of the mystique has vanished.

Pretty easy to find them though.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by vdavie
Ha! Love this topic! I'll be selling my 91 with 9k miles on it soon so I'll check back and let you guys know what it sold for. It's not stock also but period correct add ons so we will see. Oh, it's the larger engine with an auto, black with grey interior.

Vince
Where are you located Vince? Send me some details.

Chris

purelypmd@outlook.com
Old 07-28-2021, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by RB83L69
The reason the 57 Chevy is so popular today has nothing to do with the car itself.... it's because it stands as a symbol of a time and an attitude that people who were there, and even some who weren't, can identify with. You're exactly right about the car in its day; it was the mass-produced, disposable, everybody has one, can't tell which one is yours in the grocery store parking lot kind of car; about like a white Accord or a maroon Camry today. Kids were embarrassed when their mom came to school and picked them up in one, because it was so commonplace.

I have to disagree about "collector" cars that nobody knows about. What are the most "collectible" cars around today? Think about it for a minute.... GTO, Chevelle SS, Shelby GT, Hemi 'Cuda, VW convertible, 57 T-bird..... Are those "collectible" because nobody knows about them? THOSE are good examples of "collectible" cars; study them, and you'll understand "collectible" cars alot better. Unfortunately, in reality rather than somebody's dreams, 3rd gen cars don't fit in that category. Anybody that buys one (or pays for one) based on that kind of thinking, is suffering from an expensive delusion.

The fact that nobody knows (or cares) about 1LE cars guarantees that their value will never approach that sort of thing. It doesn't symbolize an age (57 Chevy), it didn't grab the imagination of the general public and excite us (GTO or Super Bee), it isn't the car we all had when we were kids (67-8-9 Camaro, 65-70 Mustang, VW bug, etc.), it doesn't have historical and top-of-the-line cachet (Corvette), and so on. It's a damn shame, but it's also reality. Just the truth, nothing but the truth, stripped of enthusiast starry-eyed romanticism. They were the best of their kind when they were built, and that makes them valuable to a driver and fun to use; but they are of no "collector" interest at all. Look at the Players cars; even those aren't worth what they were new, let alone multiples of their original sale price, like an early 60s Vette or something. Even the Turbo TAs, probably the most "collectible" 3rd gen, aren't getting their asking prices, which are way less than half of what a new (nearly new that is) equivalent can be had for.

Incidentally, those of us who were there when tey were new, had heard of Yenko cars at the time. That's the same as a Saleen or SLP today. Not mass-market, but certainly not an obscure secret either. I guess you would have had to be there.

Like I said, enjoy the one you've got, because it's a fine car, and I wish I had one (but not bad enough to go out and spend $5000 to buy one); but don't be expecting some kind of financial reward for owning it. You might as well take your money and go buy a CD at 1.8% if you're looking for a way to make your money grow, because even that low-grade "investment" will see its value will go up far faster than the car's.

i had 2 1988 Firebird gta ws6 with the 1le sold one that had 105k miles for 10k and I paid 3k for it so I’m pretty sure the value has gone up a little bit
Old 07-29-2021, 01:02 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by flychicken
i had 2 1988 Firebird gta ws6 with the 1le sold one that had 105k miles for 10k and I paid 3k for it so I’m pretty sure the value has gone up a little bit
No GTA came with the 1LE option code.
The following 2 users liked this post by JT:
rudolphschenker (07-30-2021), TTOP350 (07-29-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 02:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed

My 91 formula was intended to be a poor mans 1le lol.

manual windows, manual locks, 5 speed, No ac. Pretty bare bones even for a 91.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

1LE... A brake package. Never have understood the hype..
Old 08-11-2021, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro-1LE
Engine: TPI(s)
Transmission: 5 speed (MM5, MK6)
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.73

Originally Posted by dmccain
For me its the story on how they were developed, what went along with it, and so forth. Lots of racing that led to better production line items. Not just brakes, but lots see it that way. The story is what sells any car. Either that, or super low miles.

I'm bias. I like 1LE cars.

Mark.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mark_ZZ3:
ev305tpi (08-24-2021), TTOP350 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 04:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed

Originally Posted by dmccain
I hear ya but they are also stripped down lighter models.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro-1LE
Engine: TPI(s)
Transmission: 5 speed (MM5, MK6)
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.73

Originally Posted by 89Formula3
I hear ya but they are also stripped down lighter models.
There are lots of posts up about what did or didn't come with 1LE. We've beaten the topic near to death. Have a look. Essentially it was an option group that contained some options available in other cars (IE. Alum driveshaft, spare), and some specific to the 1LE group (depending on year), but in short brakes, struts, shocks were unique items. Gas tank was unique in 89, but common in 1990-up. And so on. And yes some 1LE came with radio, some with T-tops. Search it up. Lots of info here.

Mark.
The following users liked this post:
Wolf215 (10-29-2022)
Old 08-24-2021, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_ZZ3
There are lots of posts up about what did or didn't come with 1LE. We've beaten the topic near to death. Have a look. Essentially it was an option group that contained some options available in other cars (IE. Alum driveshaft, spare), and some specific to the 1LE group (depending on year), but in short brakes, struts, shocks were unique items. Gas tank was unique in 89, but common in 1990-up. And so on. And yes some 1LE came with radio, some with T-tops. Search it up. Lots of info here.

Mark.
So, total newbie here - but I saw a 1991 Firebird advertised locally as a 1LE WS6, specifically mentioning the brakes, aluminum driveshaft, etc. but not mentioning if it is a Firebird Formula, GTA, etc. Its a manual so I'm assuming its a 5-speed. Could this be just a Firebird with 1LE WS6 package, and is it one of 40-odd for the year or rarer? Anyway to check its authenticity if I go see it?
Old 08-24-2021, 04:39 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by 4Nik8r
So, total newbie here - but I saw a 1991 Firebird advertised locally as a 1LE WS6, specifically mentioning the brakes, aluminum driveshaft, etc. but not mentioning if it is a Firebird Formula, GTA, etc. Its a manual so I'm assuming its a 5-speed. Could this be just a Firebird with 1LE WS6 package, and is it one of 40-odd for the year or rarer? Anyway to check its authenticity if I go see it?
Yes, look for 1LE code on the SPID sticker that's located on the inside wall of the center console or the inside lid of the locking rear luggage compartment on the driver's rear cargo area. The SPID was moved during 1991 model year so both places need to be checked.

Otherwise, just post the VIN and we can also look it up.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by JT
Yes, look for 1LE code on the SPID sticker that's located on the inside wall of the center console or the inside lid of the locking rear luggage compartment on the driver's rear cargo area. The SPID was moved during 1991 model year so both places need to be checked.

Otherwise, just post the VIN and we can also look it up.
Thanks for that information but just as I went back to look at the ad on Facebook Marketplace- it disappeared! So looks like someone beat me to it
Old 10-29-2022, 11:55 PM

It’s now almost 2023, 4th Get cars have skyrocketed…They will only continue to go up in value, so to even imply the 34 (98-99 WS6 Formula 1LE’s) which is the top of the heep of rarity in the 4th market minus say a few other color combos of F cars

imho there worth serious money in low mileage bone stock variants and I should own one very soon

23k miles all stock
1 of the 6 black 99 WS6 1LE (20 built)
2 Owners

Imho its the Copo of the Millennium when it cones to GM CARS
Old 10-30-2022, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 419 Likes on 253 Posts
Car: 92 Heritage Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Limited Slip

This is a 3rd gen forum not 4th gen.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by topduarte
This is a 3rd gen forum not 4th gen.

I get it, all I was saying is the 1LE from its start is a unique option regardless of what Gen F car u own

They will all be worth money 3rd or 4th Gen, it doesn't matter other than depending on years made. So imho I believe the non ac cars and the 98-99 cars will be the most valuable
Old 10-30-2022, 10:51 AM

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf215
I get it, all I was saying is the 1LE from its start is a unique option regardless of what Gen F car u own

They will all be worth money 3rd or 4th Gen, it doesn't matter other than depending on years made. So imho I believe the non ac cars and the 98-99 cars will be the most valuable
The Pontiacs don’t seem to command the attention that Chevy’s do. If similar cars are for sale, the Camaros typically bring more money than the Firebirds.
Old 10-30-2022, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by LeonardS
The Pontiacs don’t seem to command the attention that Chevy’s do. If similar cars are for sale, the Camaros typically bring more money than the Firebirds.
Completely inaccurate info
Pontiac is no longer being made and hasnt for a long time, When it comes to F cars in the 3rd and 4th Gen variety the Pontiacs bring way more money than their Camaro Cousin

Look at a 35th SS value
Then look at a 30th WS6 Value

Not even close

Same with the 1LE Formula (97-99)..They will bring more money that a SS or Z28 1LE

U should go check prices….
Old 10-30-2022, 11:01 AM

Completely inaccurate info
Pontiac is no longer being made and hasnt for a long time, When it comes to F cars in the 3rd and 4th Gen variety the Pontiacs bring way more money than their Camaro Cousin

Look at a 35th SS value
Then look at a 30th WS6 Value

Not even close

Same with the 1LE Formula (97-99)..They will bring more money that a SS or Z28 1LE

U should go check prices….
The cars also need to have 10’s or hundreds of miles, not thousands of miles. The true collectors want little to no miles on them.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by LeonardS
The cars also need to have 10’s or hundreds of miles, not thousands of miles. The true collectors want little to no miles on them.
I agree 100%
Any rare vehicle for the most part need to remain stock and well taken care of with low miles

Again we are talking certain vehicles

Now the GMMG Camaros are valuable, The bottom line F cars rule. I’ve had 4 of them over the years.
Old 10-30-2022, 11:09 AM

I agree 100%
Any rare vehicle for the most part need to remain stock and well taken care of with low miles

Again we are talking certain vehicles

Now the GMMG Camaros are valuable, The bottom line F cars rule. I’ve had 4 of them over the years.
I have, and have had a few over the years. I never have bought one as an investment, so selling prices aren’t important to me. I buy them and keep them. Hopefully you are buying the Firebird for a toy. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 10-30-2022, 04:02 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

This is a 3rd gen forum and multiple posts have been made regarding the 4th gens, even after being told this is a 3rd gen forum. Since this is a 3rd gen forum, who cares what the value of 4th gen Firebirds are in comparison to 4th gen Camaros.

In the 3rd gen world, which is what we discuss here, the Camaros are commanding a much higher price than the Firebirds. Go look at prices!!
The following users liked this post:
modracer (11-01-2022)
Old 10-30-2022, 04:29 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
In the 3rd gen world, which is what we discuss here, the Camaros are commanding a much higher price than the Firebirds. Go look at prices!!
Agreed. ThirdGen Firebirds are not selling for way more than a comparable ThirdGen Camaro. This has been observed across all sorts of different selling platforms.

I have not seen a Third Gen Camaro listed where someone commented "if it had GTA badges on it, it would have sold for more". However, you will find the comment that a Firebird would have sold for more if it had the IROC stickers on it.