History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Fuel tank removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro iroc-Z z28
Engine: 305 tpi 5.0
Transmission: Auto 700R4
Re: Fuel tank removal

When I had to pass the smog test I literally filled the tank all the way to the neck before I take it to the emission test.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 AM

Car: 1987 Chevy Camaro
Engine: 383 twin 60mm turbo
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
That's a pretty dumb question, don't you think? If it didn't need to be done, then why would so many people say you need to do it. Not trying to be a jerk but that's a lot of work to do if it didn't need to be done. If you can get the tank out without dropping the rearend, everyone here would like to know how you did it!
I did it without having to remove the rear end.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: V8 5.0
Transmission: Automatic

Ok guys, i have been reading all your posts on this fuel tank. I need to swap out my fuel tank, because the previous owner punctured the tank and tried repairing it, all my fuel leaked out and noticed the smell and found the leak yay me!!! Soo does anyone know of any good places online where i can order a fuel tank? Also i would like to know is there anything else i need to order to replace my new fuel tank besides the fuel tank? I've looked at Rockauto and their price with neck filler, lock ring kit and tank is about $210.00 plus shipping. ohh yeahh and the straps too!! soo thats another $235.00 plus shipping. Is this a great deal or no? Should i keep looking online? While im under there trying to remove old tank, is there anything else i should replace as well? Please help, i know this a long old thread, but anything would help. Thank you

CAMARO RS 1989 WITH A 5.0 V8
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM

Car: 91 Firebird Formula
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Actually it depends on what your using to raise the car. If your just using jacks and jack stands, then yes, the rear axle must be dropped. If you have an automotive lift, then you can just drop the exhaust, heat shields, panhard bars, and tank straps. Once this is completed you can pull the tank down just enough to get the sending unit out without ever fully removing the tank.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Last edited by OrangeBird; 02-10-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:14 PM

I agree with you knightrider5000. I am replacing the fuel pump on my 91 Camaro convertible. This is one of the most pain in the *** operations I have done in a while. My thoughts are the same as yours. It would have been very easy to have made the filler neck joined with a rubber hose and clamps. Thus avoiding all the extra work of actually dropping the rear suspension. With the hose and clamps the tank would have been much easier. Trying to get that damn neck to clear the opening is insane the way it is. I can only think of one reason some idiot engineer decided to go with the welded on filler neck is to ensure no vapor leaks for emissions. But most of these cars rotted away before having to worry about such a thing as the hose on the filler neck developing any leaks. Funny GM did not go with that as the warranty work alone added up with all the recall fuel tank problems. Fortunately for me my car has been in storage for 10 years and is not all rusted away or bolts rusted up. At least everything is coming apart as it should. One thing I have noticed is that the whole fuel tank sender fuel pump and piping has no connections other then those present at the left side of the fuel tank on the underbody of the car. I have seen video's where the lines had disconnects on top of the tank near the mounting. That is not the case on mine. So even cutting a hole in the floor above the tank would not work. Being a convertible there is almost no real room to do such a proceedure as well. GM needs to hire Subaru engineers. Of all the cars I have worked on in my life Subaru's seem to have been made in partnership with the technicians and the engineers working together. Every thing fits, is relatively easy to get to and to work on.