History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Locating the Buildsheet

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locating the Buildsheet

I am interested where you would start looking
for the buildsheet for an RS Camaro 1991

in the drivers seat backing or above the fuel tank
or are there any other locations they may have hid it?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Locating the Buildsheet

You can do a search and probably find several possible locations. Part of the reason for that is differing opinions of what constitutes a build sheet. As the cars went down the assembly line there were different sheets for different sub-assemblies. There was no rule that said they needed to be left in the car. The one for the interior usually can be found between the springs and the foam cushion on the bottom of the drivers, passengers, or both front seats. Depending on the year, that sheet contains info on the entire car, or just the interior. Other times the seats were just tossed in the car as it went down the line. People have found them taped to bumpers, left on top of gas tanks that were installed, taped to the backside of interior panels, left under the carpet, etc. But then people have also found paper coffee cups, gloves, cigarette butts, and so on.

By the late 80's the one under the seats is pretty boring. If you want to see if there's one in your car with more info, I'd start by pulling all the seats, the interior panels, and the carpet. Anything outside of the interior on a car that's been driven daily at any point is probably going to be destroyed anyway.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts

I have seen people post "buildsheets" that are "trim sheets" and then I've seen people post "buildsheets" (like Scott M) that have the dealership information.

Interestingly, I'm not sure I've never seen anyone post or find this type of "buildsheet":

That's a buildsheet on Leonard's 1992 Camaro (last 1992 Camaro and last ThirdGen F-Body built). I believe Leonard said there was two of those large buildsheets (not sure if they were identical) and that he got one of them, but the assembly plant/worker kept the other copy before he could get it.

Originally Posted by Drew
You can do a search and probably find several possible locations. Part of the reason for that is differing opinions of what constitutes a build sheet. As the cars went down the assembly line there were different sheets for different sub-assemblies. There was no rule that said they needed to be left in the car. The one for the interior usually can be found between the springs and the foam cushion on the bottom of the drivers, passengers, or both front seats. Depending on the year, that sheet contains info on the entire car, or just the interior. Other times the seats were just tossed in the car as it went down the line. People have found them taped to bumpers, left on top of gas tanks that were installed, taped to the backside of interior panels, left under the carpet, etc. But then people have also found paper coffee cups, gloves, cigarette butts, and so on.

By the late 80's the one under the seats is pretty boring. If you want to see if there's one in your car with more info, I'd start by pulling all the seats, the interior panels, and the carpet. Anything outside of the interior on a car that's been driven daily at any point is probably going to be destroyed anyway.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I once found a build sheet under the back carpet. There was a strange lump on the edge of the carpet so I lifted it up and found a 4mm open end wrench, a wine cork with a crumpled up build sheet. I looked at the build date and of course, the car was built on a Friday. It has been said that cars built on Fridays have the most problems. This one had plenty. I wonder why?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a few 3 gens and this is where I found them, My Mom had bought a new '82 4- cyl sport coupe, I Found a dealer invoice behind the drivers seat (Van Nuys built) under the carpet, My '82 Pace Car had the build sheet under the passenger front seat, the the VIN on the sheet was not the same as the VIN of the car, which is not un-common on pace cars (also Van Nuys built) My '83 Z28 the sheet was under the driver seat, Van Nuys built, I never found one on My '85 Trans Am, My '87 Converible is a Norwood built car, I had the interior completely apart, new carpet, re-uphoulstered seats and door panels and never saw a trace of a build sheet, My '89 RS, I bought new and the actual build sheet was on the floor, and sub assembly line sheet was in the hatch compartment, I took them out before the car was prepped, the same for my '91 I bought new, I made the salesman dig the sheet out of the trash when they prepped it for delivery, It seems as though the third generation cars build sheets are a lot harder to find then the second gen cars, almost all the time, if the second gen was built in Van Nuys the build sheet was always behind the rear seat back

Last edited by cs2000; 02-11-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: re worded
Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info-I will let you all know what I find when it warms up
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I'll go through the list of cars I've stripped the complete interiors out of chronologically, and I'll tell you before I begin that list, that I've never found a build sheet.

1983 Camaro Van Nuys (no loose build sheet, just the one under the passengers seat)
1991 Camaro RS
1991 Formula
1991 Firebird
1991 Firebird
1988 Camaro RS
1986 Firebird
1986 Trans Am

Every one of these was either my personal car that I disassembled to replace carpet and clean panels (in some cases remove dead mice), or a parts car in the salvage yard that I stripped the complete interior out of, or the carpet from. I'm probably forgetting one or two.

My point is that you can spend a day ripping a car apart and find absolutely bupkis. So unless you have a reason to completely rip a car apart, I wouldn't do it just for the chance there might be a piece of paper under a panel.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 S10, 83 280ZX, 84 Z28
Engine: 355 smallblocks..na, 2.8 turbo
Transmission: 85:th350, 84:700R4
Axle/Gears: 85:ford9 4.85, 84:stock 3.24

mine was under the back seat