History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

about to be a "new" owner of an '88 V6 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
about to be a "new" owner of an '88 V6 Camaro

First post on this board.

I'm the Admin at the FAL Files firearms discussion board.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php
So, new to this forum, but not at all new to forums.

With prices of firearms going nuts, a guy in Texas offered to trade me his Camaro for one of my rifles.

Thought of it gives me the butterflies.
I sent the rifle off to his dealer today, so I guess I'm on-deck to be an owner if I'm quite in yet.

Thread on the FAL Files:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343073

Car is a V6 5-speed with 78000 miles.
Current owner says it "runs great."
Hmmm.... where have I heard THAT before?

I know my way around cars pretty good, but its been quite a few years since I spent much time with a wrench in my hand. Been known to build a rifle on occasion though. Got a two-year automechanics degree in high school too. Jimmy Carter was President (LOL!)

The adventure is that I will need to fly from Virginia to Texas to pick up the car. I want to drive it back to Virginia (DC area). I could have it shipped I suppose, but where's the fun in that?

My wife asked what was "wrong" with the car. I told her: "probably everything."

I think I'll take it (or have the current owner deliver it) to a local garage in Beaumont, TX for some maintenance before I try to take it on a two-day 1,300-mile inaugural ride.

Current owner says A/C not working and tires show "dry rot" but good tread.

Here's what I'm thinking for maintenance before I try to leave Texas with it:
  • motor oil change
  • transmission and differential gear-oil change
  • cooling system flush
  • radiator hose replacement (top and bottom)
  • serpentine belt replacement
  • brake inspection with service only on parts in immediate need
  • full set of tires
  • wiper blades
  • air filter
The battery is supposed to be "relatively new."

Anything you all can think of that I'm overlooking would be very welcome to hear about. I've scoped a couple shops in Beaumont on the internet. In the outside chance anybody here has specific intel on Beaumont shops, I'd love to hear anything you can tell me.

I could have the title in my clean-for-now hands by this time next week.

Here she is:

Name:  nathan1_zps97bc2938.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  nathan2_zpsa99f7193.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  nathan3_zpsd9587828.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  nathan4_zps4e5385d0.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  63.8 KB

Last edited by W.E.G.; 02-21-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '85 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi
Re: about to be a "new" owner of an '88 V6 Camaro

Welcome to the boards. Body looks solid. Any chance you can hear it run via a video? It just seems like such a time investment on your part with so many variables that could end up putting you at a financial loss. You'll still come out on top as you scored yourself a thirdgen.. Your list of pre road trip fixes is more than most would do. Only thing I can think of to do is have a hard look at the frame rail with the steering that can be a weak link in our cars with hard driving.
I have a friend with that engine tranny and combo that has gone 200k with only minor maintenance. "+" on the color too.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Good idea to get new tires and fluids before the trip. But before you even do that you might want to have the shop to do a full inspection to try and uncover any potenially large problems. Of course make sure you take it to a shop of your choice, not the owner's. Do you know anyone is that town that could recommend a shop?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 RS Vert, 89 Formula, 89 Bird
Engine: L03, TBI 350, none
Transmission: 700R4, 700R4, none
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.45, none

I think I would do an Auto Check or CARFAX on the car before making the trip. If for no other reason, you will get a second opinion on the low mileage claim. From the pictures provided, I'm not sure I believe that to be a 78,000 mile car. Notice how there are no clear shots of the bottom of the drivers seat? That is intentional. My guess is that the seats are ripped.

It could be a fun car. My wife and I drove from Maryland to Chicago last January to pick up a Camaro and drive it back home. 14 hours each way. It was a really fun trip. But I demanded pictures of problem areas before I made the trip. Primarily, I wanted clear shots of the undercarriage, and the rear wheel wells, to insure there was no rust. The seller put it on a lift, and sent me like 50 pictures from every angle imaginable. I was not disappointed when I arrived in Chicago.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Supreme Member

The current (about-to-be-previous) owner offered to start it up an let me listen to it over the phone. I believe him when he says it "runs." What constitutes "runs great" for a car that is not currently being driven is pretty subjective. As in, how far will it go until the water pump shaft-seal disintegrates? Who knows, really?

Current owner says the exhaust looks real good too.

I don't know anybody in east Texas, so I'll have to rely on my wits over the telephone with the service manager of whatever shop I send it to. I've got my eye on a couple. I won't start naming-names at this point on the shops. I figure I should at least wait until I get the title in my hand before I start pestering shop-managers.

I definitely am keeping an open mind to whatever beyond my laundry-list that the shop might detect.

I'm pretty excited about it, and I'll look forward to sharing stories about the whole adventure here.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Put up a post in the regional boards and see if someone local to the car can check it out for you. I think that's one of the good things with this board. We have a lot of good guys willing to help out other 3rd gen owners.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

That's a great suggestion.

Will do.

...and done!

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sout...ml#post5458241

Last edited by W.E.G.; 01-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

Looks great! You can get by without the A/C this time of year but make sure the heater works. In fact, mke sure that it even has a heater. Get pictures of the underhood, under the car, and the complete interior. A lot of owners like to minimize weight by removing anything tha doesn't make the car go faster. Also find out what else "doesn't work" or has been modified. Welcome to the forum and Good luck with the road trip.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

The rifle made it to Texas (taking its good old time to get there I might add). The seller of the car is pleased with the rifle.

As of today, the Camaro title is on its way to me via the same slow US Postal Service. USPS web site estimates delivery of the title as soon as Saturday. No way I'm standing in weekend lines at the DMV, even if it does show up in the minimum amount of time.

Hoping to get new VA title and tags Monday.

Making progress.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

I had terrible time at DMV when I got my iroc few months ago. Took them like a week or more.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Its bee a while since I titled a "new" car at the Virginia DMV. Are they not issuing metal plates the same day if you walk-in? Will I have to wait for them to mail plates to me?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc convertible
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi

They had issues with my title because it was a car from PA. That meant I had to mail the title to Richmond, and then wait what seemed like forever. Finally got the title and plates about a week and half later. It may have just been the DMV branch in home town. It's staffed by idiots, but then again I have never heard of someone having a pleasant experience at the DMV. The screwed up part of it is that it's our tax dollars at work, but they act like they are doing us a favor. I could go on a rant about this forever, still makes my blood boil.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds like quite the ordeal. In the present situation its not going to be a big deal if there is a delay.

The car is still in Texas, so its not like I've even got physical possession of anything to put the tags on when I finally get them. If things go my way, I'll mail the tags to the current owner in Texas, and get him to drive the car to a local shop for inspection and service as I already mentioned.

Timing is flexible as far as me actually making my first howdy-do with the car, and commencing what will be (I hope) the excellent adventure road trip back to northern VA.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

Originally Posted by W.E.G.
Sounds like quite the ordeal. In the present situation its not going to be a big deal if there is a delay.

The car is still in Texas, so its not like I've even got physical possession of anything to put the tags on when I finally get them. If things go my way, I'll mail the tags to the current owner in Texas, and get him to drive the car to a local shop for inspection and service as I already mentioned.

Timing is flexible as far as me actually making my first howdy-do with the car, and commencing what will be (I hope) the excellent adventure road trip back to northern VA.
Why do you have to mail the tags? The owner should have plates on it so he could just drive it to the shop now. I have to say you are brave to do this type of deal. Both of my 3rd gen needed more work than I thought right off the bat and had running issues right off the bat. In fact my RS is still not fixed. I hope you have better luck with this car than I have had with mine as you have a long trip home. There is alot less to go wrong with a gun than a car. If it works out it seems like a cool car.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Supreme Member

The car is parked. Whatever tags are on it are dead, and the insurance is off.

If it will run to the shop, that's a good sign I suppose. If it turns out it won't run (or won't run reliably without a lot of initial outlay), we'll just truck it out of there.

FWIW, the current owner say he has run "two tanks of gas" through it.

I don't know that I'm so brave.

Probably more like crazy and reckless.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM

Car: 1990 Firebird

I don't think has been covered, but one thing to do is to have the shop put it up on a lift and check the underbody for rust holes from the bottom that show the underneath of the carpeting, especially since this has t-tops. When I began restoring mine, I had this problem, and needed to get rid of the rust and patch the holes...otherwise, it could spread to the frame and the whole car would have eventually been shot. (My interior was mint, but time takes it toll on outside metal...so don't base it on just what you can see in the photos of course.)
Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by florida_gators
I don't think has been covered, but one thing to do is to have the shop put it up on a lift and check the underbody for rust holes from the bottom that show the underneath of the carpeting, especially since this has t-tops. When I began restoring mine, I had this problem, and needed to get rid of the rust and patch the holes...otherwise, it could spread to the frame and the whole car would have eventually been shot. (My interior was mint, but time takes it toll on outside metal...so don't base it on just what you can see in the photos of course.)
This is good info. And as far as driving to the shop-that's not always a super good sign. My RS drove an hour home just fine, drove to get tires on it a few days later just fine, next day drove around all day and even passed emssions test with a rusted out cat bak just fine then started sputtering after it gets warm. Right now I can drive it to the shop and they would not know it has an issue unless they let it run for over 20 mins and drive it-acts just fine in park and N.

Not trying to down your deal here, just trying to give you an idea that things are not always what they seem.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Supreme Member

Good points all.

FWIW, this is a hard-top. Nothing against T-tops, but I probably would not have been especially interested in the car had it been a T-top in a model other than something like a Z-28 or Trans-Am.

If there is undercarriage rust, that will definitely need to be repaired - although not necessarily before I leave Texas with it. I've been looking for a reason to buy a welder and develop my "fabrication" skills. This could be my entree. I'm sure though that there some who would suggest that my fabrication skills are quintessentially a "fabrication."

How much harm can I really do underneath the car? At least I do have some "creds" with a dremel in my capacity as the dean at WECSOG.

Name:  WECSOGgunsandammo.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  189.2 KB

I suppose one of the positives of this project is that I do know my way around cars just a bit - although not at all a master of the subject.

Once the car is titled in my name, I have a budget for getting it roadworthy for the ride home. I'm well-familiar with starting issues depending on whether the motor is cold/hot, etc. I intend to have the shop test these issues fully.

Brakes, batteries, tires, belts, charging-system (some elements), and exhaust-system (some elements) are all "consumables" anyway. Hopefully not all of them at one time.

Strategically, the best thing is that I don't have to get this done on any kind of tight deadline. I have the "luxury" of working through specific issues more-or-less one at a time. If it takes the shop a month to do this-or-that, its no big deal to me. I've waited 25 years for this car. What's a few more days?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

I just went back and looked at the car-it is a hard top. What is up with the black things above the windows-never seen them before.

Well sounds like you have a plan so enjoy the car.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Supreme Member

I wondered about those window-gizzies myself.

Looks like some sort of rain guard to allow you to run the windows slightly down while driving in the rain???
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Supreme Member

I wondered about those window-gizzies myself.

Looks like some sort of rain guard to allow you to run the windows slightly down while driving in the rain???
Might be? never seen them like I said.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

[quote=W.E.G.;5462235]The car is parked. Whatever tags are on it are dead, and the insurance is off.

The PO should be able to get 60 day temp tag on it. I bought a Grand Prix from a dealer in Dallas and got a Texas temp tag. I drove it to Alabama on the tag and I was able to put insurance on it before I ever picked it up. You may have a problem getting your state tags without having the car there as I think most of them verify that the VIN on the car matches what's on the title. You may want to see if you can get a temp tag from your DMV. Either way, good luck with that. I am looking forward to seeing what you get. I bought mine sight unseen and flew from Alabama to North Carolina and drove it home all in the same day. While it wasn't exactly as it had been described, it did run great. Unfortunately the next morning, I went to give my wife a ride and within 10 minutes, the water pump was leaking and had to be replaced. So good luck with your road trip!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

On the several cars I've handled in past years, Virginia does not send anybody out to physically verify the VIN.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like I'm going to be exempt from emissions testing under the 25-year rule.

Motor vehicles exempted from emissions inspections include:

Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year.

As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010.
1988 model is exempt as of January 1, 2013.

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci.../emissions.asp

Anybody disagree?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Supreme Member

Title arrived!

Name:  titilearrived.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  12.6 KB
Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1971 Camaro
Engine: 427
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Cool, this is a fun story to follow.

Have you had anyone on the borad check it out yet?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Supreme Member

Not yet.

The good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll have the VA title on Monday or Tuesday.

From there, I'll figure out how to get it to a shop in Beaumont. Even if I don't spin wrenches as fast as I used to, I still speak pretty good car. I don't mind paying the fellas at the shop their regular fee to do certain things.

If it needs more than "certain things," it will go on the back of a truck, and I'll have it brought to me, so's I can figger it from up close.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

In line at the DMV now.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby

fun times good luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Supreme Member

Rikki don't lose that number...

Name:  BE9AE9A4-09FC-4187-BE5B-AE70EBBEC14A-3426-00000B4501337C8A.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  346.0 KB
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA 5-spd TPI
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 baby

Rikki don't lose that number...

I thought it was Billy??
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

$129.50 FTW!

Name:  04C7BA86-8827-41D6-B728-AF2AA3024BC4-3426-00000B5312332E23.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  239.1 KB

reety-all-righty,... He da zombie WUF!

Last edited by W.E.G.; 01-14-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Supreme Member

Tags in the mail to Texas!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Supreme Member

Tags in the mail to Texas!
That's great! You wouldn't have been able to do that in Alabama. Keep us informed on what's going on including the road trip! Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah here in Ohio if you being an out of state title into the DMV one of the workers walks out side and looks the car over real quick before you can get a temp tag or plate.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Supreme Member

Into the shop for evaluation Monday morning!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Supreme Member

Mechanics are digging into it.

First order of business remove wheels with dry-rotted tires.

Locking lug nuts. Name:  exclaim.gif
Views: 729
Size:  161 Bytes

Destroy. Name:  skull.gif
Views: 728
Size:  578 Bytes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:14 PM

Car: 1984 Z28 / 2002 Z06
Engine: 350 New Crate / LS6
Transmission: T5 / M12
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.42

Mechanics are digging into it.

First order of business remove wheels with dry-rotted tires.

Locking lug nuts.

Destroy.
Good! Congrats its seems clean! Check your "cluster fuse" under dash, driver side. Replace the blown fuse and your RPM/Voltmeter will be fine!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Booked my flight to Houston.

Arriving at 11:22 Central time.

Get a little lunch and should be pedal-to-the-metal towards New Orleans by mid-afternoon!

Laundry list of stuff that I'm going to get the shop to do for me in the meantime:

Tires
Shock absorbers
Idler arm
Pittman arm
Hoses
Wiper blades
Serpentine belt
Headlight (high beam)
Hood supports

Fluids to include:
Oil
Transmission
Rear differential
Brakes
Coolant

Not to be serviced are:
air conditioning system
rear hatch supports
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Supreme Member

Good luck, take plenty of pics of the trip!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Supreme Member

I agree with most of the things that you are going to have serviced before your trip but some of them like shocks I'd wait until I got it home. Of course that's all you choice. You shouldn't need to replace the pitman arm unless its damaged as that is a non-wear item. Don't forget to have the front end aligned after changing the idler arm and putting on new tires. Good luck on your road trip. Please post some pictures of the car and the trip.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

I would have preferred to do a lot of this work myself.

But, I am going to be actually driving it 1400 miles in what might be wet weather for at least part of the trip. I had to really resist micro-managing the repair recommendations. I figured if the shop didn't try to soak me for stupid stuff like valve-cover gaskets, that I should just take them at their word if they came up with stuff like steering linkage parts.

Just got an email from the shop. They say all the work will be done by tomorrow. I'll send my friend to pick up the car and hold it for me until I get there Saturday.

Suffice to say, its a little nerve-wracking managing maintenance work on a car I've never even sat in, and from a distance of 1400 miles. Gotta say its pretty exciting too.

I'll try to post some pics and vids as it goes.

While I'm down there in Tejas, I might pick me up some hitchhikers to help with gas, and to push in case I break down.
First vid should have a soundtrack that goes something like this:

Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Classic vid!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Supreme Member

Still waiting to hear from the shop for "the damage" as they say.

Meantime, assembling a case of CD's for the trip. Somebody put an aftermarket CD unit in the dash. Don't know really whether it works. Guess I'll find out.

Here's the CD's that I'm taking:
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds
Aerosmith - Gems
Bruce - Born to Run
BOC - On Your Feet or On Your Knees
Clash - Combat Rock
Counting Crows - Recovering the Sattelites
Doobs - Best of
Elton - Captain Fantastic
Foghat - Best of
Harley Davidson Road Songs - 2 disc compilation
Judas Priest - Metal Works '73-'93
Mettalica - Fuel
Molly Hatchet - Greatest
Skynyrd - Street Survivors
Neil Young - Harvest
Outlaws - Greatest
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Santana - Greatest
Sonny Landreth - The Road We're On
Thin Lizzy - Dedication
Rush - 2112
White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music, Vol. 1
ZZ Top - Greatest
Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

You said that you already booked your ticket so when are you planning to go?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Awsome driving music!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Richboll
You said that you already booked your ticket so when are you planning to go?
Flight leaves frigid Dulles at 0700

on the ground in Houston and 77 degrees at 1124
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Johnny Blaze

Awsome driving music!
Aint it!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Supreme Member

She's ready for pickup!

I know y'all like to look under skirts on things like this 'bout as much as me, so here's the close-up.

Name:  damage.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  26.2 KB

Feller at the shop said "You got a real clean car there."
I reckon that's a good start.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Supreme Member

At the gate at Dulles now. Departure schedule 0700 on time.

Quick Reply: about to be a "new" owner of an '88 V6 Camaro