History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Intro to the forum and questions about a car (duh)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro to the forum and questions about a car (duh)

So this is my first post on Thirdgen. I currently dont have a camaro, but ive had a few in the past, one of which im hankering back for again.

Its my third gen one that i miss the most (obviously since im here), and ive been looking to recreate it. The sad thing is, that i know its for sale, but the price is insane, and just not worth it. Its a heap right now, and the guy wants 3500 Euro for it, and its not even in the states, so add to that shipping, and a full restoration, to make it somewhat passable

Anyways. the questions i have are, well, many. I know it was a salvage title car, and that it had a 85ish nose, and ground effects, but the rest of an 83, since it was officially, an 83. It was carburated, with a 305, auto, but i didnt know much about it at the time. (i was a young dumb kid with long hair back then)

Ill post some pics, and hopefully get some info, that might make it easier to find one similar soon.

i had the car when i was overseas (hence a Fiat in the back) Note the front end of a later year, and the early hood "scoops". Yes, its rocking painted trans am wheels too...
another weird thing, i never could figure out is the thrid brake light. never saw one even remotely similar to it, not at car shows, cruise ins etc...whats up with that?

And the interior, it was a light brown. NOT beige. It was more of a maroon type brown. I never took pics of the interior (standard 83 is? with the round center for the wheel, and the spherical shifter ****)

I should have kept the car, since it was in decent shape, with 20k on it, and i could have just shipped it with me, but i was a moron...

Anyways, thanks in advance for all the help,
Al
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23
Re: Intro to the forum and questions about a car (duh)

Welcome, Yeah the car has an 85-90 nose and lower GFX on it, painted 15" TA/Firebird wheels and I have no idea what is up with the third brake light? Here in the states we did not get the 3rd brake light till 1986 and you said the car was an 83, maybe a euro thing? Seems to me you could make a car just like it, besides the 3rd brake light very easy here, but I would say stick with Camaro wheels.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM

Thanks. The car was a NY car, and oddly enough i would have had no issues when bringing it back as far as registering, but i wasnt thnking (there were issues with where the car was sitting over there, and i could get leave in time to deal with other issues)

Still i know the third brake light was on it when it left here. I saw pics of it at the shop in Queens where all the work was done sometime in the early 90s, and i did see third lights on other cars, but never quite like this one. They never had the lip goin upward...

As far as getting one, i will, i have some cash set aside, and finally am giving it lol...i want to try to get this same color on it (within reason)...and you know how nostalgia can be, so i might still get some beat up TA wheels, and just paint them too lol...Just to feel like a young kid again
Old 03-01-2015, 12:06 PM

Back after an absence....Ive been busy with a couple of new cars I bought, one being a 2014 Camaro. I even think it has a little bit of a third gen around the headlights...so now I want a third gen bad, so Im getting one. Dont know which one of the local or others out there for sale...
And the most important thing? Louvers! I NEED the factory Cragar ones too lol

So here are some pics...dont ask me to say which one is prettier because I cant choose
Old 03-01-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Just to clear up a comment you made. The factory louvers were not made by Cragar.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:27 PM

I realized that. Basically what I wanted to say was either style works. I saw the factory ones and well theyre factory, but mine has Cragars. Im really wanting this, but again with the snow...I couldnt even get out of the house, much less get rid of a stripped car to make room for a third gen...is winter over yet?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 AM

I found my car! Its still in one piece and decently priced, although shipping it from eastern europe back home will cost a pretty penny...

It doesnt have its louvers anymore nor the odd third light spoiler, and im hoping the interior wasnt molested too much, since the car hasnt been registered (it cant be, too new) so its still around 30k miles

Im hoping that by the end of the year Ill have my baby back home!