History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Rick-A-Shay 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2003 BMW E46 M3 Vert
Engine: 3.2 I6 M power 333 h.p.
Transmission: SMG 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.62 posi
Rick-A-Shay 1LE

This is not mine, But if I had the money it would be. 1989 Rick-A-Shay 1LE IMSA Camaro. Only 8k original miles! This car was special ordered by Rick Shay of Rick-A-Shay Racing. It was built for the SCCA Pro Series in 1990. It did really well in the pro series and came down the line with another white 1LE. Per Rick he walked both cars down the assembly line and had the workers do a little extra welding on the underside of the cars and made sure they paid special attention to the two cars as they came down the line.
After the cars were built they were delivered to Hardy Chevrolet in Atlanta Georgia. Upon delivery they were driven directly to Michigan for break-in.
Raced by Chris Nebble in the SCCA Pro Series in 1990. The cars did really well but the other white Camaro was totaled and is gone. Bart Kendell raced in the Firestone Firehawk series. I have not spoken with these guys but I've spoken extensively to Rick. A few years ago he still had pictures of this car all over his walls. I always intended to go visit him but never was able to make the trip as life got in the way.

This particular car was not in the Players Series but it did run along side the Players cars one time in Canada (1990?.) I also have been told this car won the 24 hours at Moss Port by 1-1/2 hours in 1990. I never did hunt for the definitive answers on this information but Chris won the championship that year and the last race was at Road America.

To the new buyer I will give Rick's contact information and maybe you can go for a visit.
Rick said these two cars were the last new factory cars GM gave to him for racing.
I've owned this car for may years. As life happens we just had our sixth kid and I just don't have time to mess with them anymore. Last weekend I had an accident on the farm while putting up the fence. Almost lost my eye and ended up with 5 stiches in my eye. Needless to stay I stayed home last week from work and took the time to clean up the warehouse and garage.
This car is very rare. There were 111 1LE's built in 1989.
Of that Number: 74 of the 1LE cars also had RPO code R7U for the Players Challenge Series.r
2 1LE cars (Non R7U) were imported to Canada.
That leaves: 35 cars built as US spec 1LE's.
From what I understand all 74 of the R7U cars were loaded with power windows, locks, rear defrost, etc. The 35 US spec cars and the 2 Canadian 1LE's were virtually strippers. This car has no power anything. It's a stripper.
Several of the cars were wrecked and totaled. Many of the R7U Canadian cars are rusty messes if they are still alive. After the R7U cars were raced they were sold on the dealerships to the general public. Therefore most have high miles and lots of wear and tear.
Condition of the car:
This is a great car! Uber Rare, Low Mileage and Killer History. It looks really good from 3 to 5 feet. Overall I'd rate it a 7, maybe 8 out of 10. To be perfect it needs a paint job and new stickers. At one time I was going to paint but a good friend and serious car collector said it looks great and it's worth more "as-raced" vs a repaint for perfection. It's a low mileage car but it's not a museum piece and it was a race car from birth. There are no real fatal flaws, however there is some light checking on the front bumper and the lower valance is a slightly different color from the car. It is not an original paint car. Racing is rubbing and I can only assume is was rubbed on from time to time.

I have the original roll cage that came with the car when I purchased it. I have since removed the roll cage and installed the stock interior back in the car. I used a NOS seat cover for the drivers seat. It's nice but I still kept the oil pressure gauge in the interior. Tires are Firehawk SV tires, 245/50/16's. The exact same tire as the 91/92 Firehawks but only in 16" size. (FWIW, I freaked when I saw these tires originally because I know how rare and hard to find they are.)

It has the N10 dual catalytic converters but the exhaust pipe is a race exhaust straight pipe that exits out the passenger back. Definitely not factory. It's loud and a little crude but it does the trick quite nice.

This car grabs more attention than the Firehawks and even more than the 93 Cobra. It's unique and the kids just love to go to school in it. If you are serious, message me and I'll give you my phone number to discuss on the phone. I don't have to sell it but I want to. I don't drive and enjoy it as much and it deserves a new home. Prefer a cash deal but could be interested in partial trades (up or down) and I would really like a C5 Convertible 6 speed (under 65k miles). Please let me know if you need additional information or pictures. I also have two 88 Players Cars, an 89 Players Pace Car, 91 IMSA Camaro and some others. I will not list them for sale at this time but would seriously consider selling. Thanks! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-1LE-Iroc-Z28-8k-original-miles-Factory-built-race-car-SCCA-IMSA-/140979242767?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20d304870f
Attached Thumbnails Rick-A-Shay 1LE-t2ec16hhjhie9nysfp0qbrmfwkkumw-60_3.jpg   Rick-A-Shay 1LE-t2ec16nhjhiffh-8s10hbrmffv2dn-60_3.jpg   Rick-A-Shay 1LE-t2ec16vhjiye9qucnk-mbrmff32v-w-60_3.jpg  

Last edited by mr396; 05-21-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45
Re: Rick-A-Shay 1LE

Very cool!!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Car: 4/89 IROC Z28 G92 -
Engine: LB9 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

I saw that...... if I had a bigger garage
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

why in the heck does it have AC?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Are the headlight buckets supposed to be painted white?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM

Car: 1991 1LE CAMARO
Engine: 383 TPI W/NOS Fogger Kit
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
why in the heck does it have AC?
As a 1LE owner I wondered too... Ebay ad shows different engine... NO ac.. So it's correct..

Wrong pic in ad on our side I'm guessin...

Nice car!!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:48 AM

Car: 2003 BMW E46 M3 Vert
Engine: 3.2 I6 M power 333 h.p.
Transmission: SMG 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.62 posi

Originally Posted by 19911LECAMARO
As a 1LE owner I wondered too... Ebay ad shows different engine... NO ac.. So it's correct..

Wrong pic in ad on our side I'm guessin...

Nice car!!
My bad, the first pic was another IROC.
Attached Thumbnails Rick-A-Shay 1LE-t2ec16vhjiye9qucnk-mbrmff32v-w-60_3.jpg  

Last edited by mr396; 05-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

This would be Gregs car, a good friend of mine and a member on this board. Its a really cool car with some history.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Where has Greg been? I haven't seen him around for a long time.

The headlight buckets should be black and the emblem on the rear bumper cover is in the wrong place. I suspect the car had minor front/rear damage at some time and was repaired.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM

In Tulsa huh? I think I'm gonna check this one out...
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Originally Posted by g92optioned
In Tulsa huh? I think I'm gonna check this one out...
Yup, If your serious I can get you his number.

Greg has been busy then had lil problem while putting up a fence recently.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:20 AM

Yes if you would PM me his phone number that would be very helpful.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 AM

Hey Guys, thought I'd chime in. I've been lurking around but haven't logged in much.

Maybe a little back story as to why the car is up. 3 weeks ago I went to an auction of an old friends estate. He died at 94, had 5 kids and at one time was a kazillionaire who collected rare/eccentric cars, parts and real estate. When he died he was flat broke and his kids all hated him and each other. I watched them fight over the estate, money and lots of things that really didn't matter. This hit me hard and I vowed never to be that guy who put his crap and his job above his family as I now have 6 kids.

In addition, Two weeks ago I had a life altering accident while installing a barb wire fence. While working on the fence the end coiled up and pierced my eye. I will never regain full vision in my left eye and I ended up taking the week off work and reflecting on life and dealing w 5 stitches in my cornea.

As most of you know I'm a hoarder and rarely sale anything. My wife on the other hand says that when I die she is selling everything for $1. Everything! Cars, guns, parts,etc. If you know my wife then you know she's serious (and you want to get ahold of here ASAP should I take the short bus to see Jesus!)

Now, I'm not planning on taking any short bus anytime soon but I have realized that I don't spend much time playing w the race cars. In fact, I don't spend much time at all playing w cars. So I have all this crap in the garage, warehouse and at the office. Why not let some of it go to a new home? My kids are not really happy but I feel called to sell some of this stuff to show them God and family always come before anything else.

I've put up a relatively unique collection of parts for you 1LE and Firehawk guys. Yes, I still have lots of parts still laying around. I may never have the time to do this again. If some guy really had a desire and some cash I could help expand their 1LE and Players collection significantly. I don't have to sell but could be very realistic for the right opportunity.

That's a quick update. Rick-A-Shay is a cool car and would be a great addition to any collection.

I'm willi44225 on eBay. You might just find something you'll like for your camaro and firebird....
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Here's a link to the auction. I completely forgot the car was also in a magazine. Muscle Car Enthusiast - February 2009.

Heck, the price should triple because it's a magazine car!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/willi44225/m...p2047675.l2562

Link to magazine article is updated in the car auction at the above link.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by t_towner
Here's a link to the auction. I completely forgot the car was also in a magazine. Muscle Car Enthusiast - February 2009.

Heck, the price should triple because it's a magazine car!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/willi44225/m...p2047675.l2562

Link to magazine article is updated in the car auction at the above link.

Wow, you sure have alot of cool stuff! Hope your cornea heals up with minimal scarring as well.

Last edited by chazman; 05-22-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 PM

Car: 4/89 IROC Z28 G92 -
Engine: LB9 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Hey Guys, thought I'd chime in. I've been lurking around but haven't logged in much.

Maybe a little back story as to why the car is up. 3 weeks ago I went to an auction of an old friends estate. He died at 94, had 5 kids and at one time was a kazillionaire who collected rare/eccentric cars, parts and real estate. When he died he was flat broke and his kids all hated him and each other. I watched them fight over the estate, money and lots of things that really didn't matter. This hit me hard and I vowed never to be that guy who put his crap and his job above his family as I now have 6 kids.

In addition, Two weeks ago I had a life altering accident while installing a barb wire fence. While working on the fence the end coiled up and pierced my eye. I will never regain full vision in my left eye and I ended up taking the week off work and reflecting on life and dealing w 5 stitches in my cornea.

As most of you know I'm a hoarder and rarely sale anything. My wife on the other hand says that when I die she is selling everything for $1. Everything! Cars, guns, parts,etc. If you know my wife then you know she's serious (and you want to get ahold of here ASAP should I take the short bus to see Jesus!)

Now, I'm not planning on taking any short bus anytime soon but I have realized that I don't spend much time playing w the race cars. In fact, I don't spend much time at all playing w cars. So I have all this crap in the garage, warehouse and at the office. Why not let some of it go to a new home? My kids are not really happy but I feel called to sell some of this stuff to show them God and family always come before anything else.

I've put up a relatively unique collection of parts for you 1LE and Firehawk guys. Yes, I still have lots of parts still laying around. I may never have the time to do this again. If some guy really had a desire and some cash I could help expand their 1LE and Players collection significantly. I don't have to sell but could be very realistic for the right opportunity.

That's a quick update. Rick-A-Shay is a cool car and would be a great addition to any collection.

I'm willi44225 on eBay. You might just find something you'll like for your camaro and firebird....

Lot's of cool stuff you have, and I wish you the very best with your recovery.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '84 Z28
Engine: L69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Where has Greg been? I haven't seen him around for a long time.

The headlight buckets should be black and the emblem on the rear bumper cover is in the wrong place. I suspect the car had minor front/rear damage at some time and was repaired.
I saw this car on ebay earlier this week. A closer look at the SPID label shows a paint code of 81U. This car was originally red.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM

I've been waiting for this observation! I have crawled all over this car an can find no where on the car where it was painted red originally. Rick even told me himself that both cars were painted white at the factory. It appears to me it was ordered red and he convinced them to change color during production. I really should call him again to confirm.

Good detective work!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM

Car: 1989-92 Players Challenge 1LE R7U
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 speed

I've been waiting for this observation! I have crawled all over this car an can find no where on the car where it was painted red originally. Rick even told me himself that both cars were painted white at the factory. It appears to me it was ordered red and he convinced them to change color during production. I really should call him again to confirm.

Good detective work!
I would like more information on what you have for sale. Please PM me. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 AM

Anyone have any interest in this? I put it back on eBay. As much as I hate to, we need a 12 passenger van. I know, I know... There's no comparison but the car is just not driven enough w 6 kids. Don't have to sell but want to. I'll be reasonable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-Factory-Built-Race-Car-1989-1-le-iroc-z-28-8-k-original-miles-factory-built-/141029224578?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20d5ff3082&vxp=mtr
Old 03-19-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by mr396
This is not mine, But if I had the money it would be. 1989 Rick-A-Shay 1LE IMSA Camaro. Only 8k original miles! This car was special ordered by Rick Shay of Rick-A-Shay Racing. It was built for the SCCA Pro Series in 1990. It did really well in the pro series and came down the line with another white 1LE. Per Rick he walked both cars down the assembly line and had the workers do a little extra welding on the underside of the cars and made sure they paid special attention to the two cars as they came down the line.
After the cars were built they were delivered to Hardy Chevrolet in Atlanta Georgia. Upon delivery they were driven directly to Michigan for break-in.
Raced by Chris Nebble in the SCCA Pro Series in 1990. The cars did really well but the other white Camaro was totaled and is gone. Bart Kendell raced in the Firestone Firehawk series. I have not spoken with these guys but I've spoken extensively to Rick. A few years ago he still had pictures of this car all over his walls. I always intended to go visit him but never was able to make the trip as life got in the way.

This particular car was not in the Players Series but it did run along side the Players cars one time in Canada (1990?.) I also have been told this car won the 24 hours at Moss Port by 1-1/2 hours in 1990. I never did hunt for the definitive answers on this information but Chris won the championship that year and the last race was at Road America.

To the new buyer I will give Rick's contact information and maybe you can go for a visit.
Rick said these two cars were the last new factory cars GM gave to him for racing.
I've owned this car for may years. As life happens we just had our sixth kid and I just don't have time to mess with them anymore. Last weekend I had an accident on the farm while putting up the fence. Almost lost my eye and ended up with 5 stiches in my eye. Needless to stay I stayed home last week from work and took the time to clean up the warehouse and garage.
This car is very rare. There were 111 1LE's built in 1989.
Of that Number: 74 of the 1LE cars also had RPO code R7U for the Players Challenge Series.r
2 1LE cars (Non R7U) were imported to Canada.
That leaves: 35 cars built as US spec 1LE's.
From what I understand all 74 of the R7U cars were loaded with power windows, locks, rear defrost, etc. The 35 US spec cars and the 2 Canadian 1LE's were virtually strippers. This car has no power anything. It's a stripper.
Several of the cars were wrecked and totaled. Many of the R7U Canadian cars are rusty messes if they are still alive. After the R7U cars were raced they were sold on the dealerships to the general public. Therefore most have high miles and lots of wear and tear.
Condition of the car:
This is a great car! Uber Rare, Low Mileage and Killer History. It looks really good from 3 to 5 feet. Overall I'd rate it a 7, maybe 8 out of 10. To be perfect it needs a paint job and new stickers. At one time I was going to paint but a good friend and serious car collector said it looks great and it's worth more "as-raced" vs a repaint for perfection. It's a low mileage car but it's not a museum piece and it was a race car from birth. There are no real fatal flaws, however there is some light checking on the front bumper and the lower valance is a slightly different color from the car. It is not an original paint car. Racing is rubbing and I can only assume is was rubbed on from time to time.

I have the original roll cage that came with the car when I purchased it. I have since removed the roll cage and installed the stock interior back in the car. I used a NOS seat cover for the drivers seat. It's nice but I still kept the oil pressure gauge in the interior. Tires are Firehawk SV tires, 245/50/16's. The exact same tire as the 91/92 Firehawks but only in 16" size. (FWIW, I freaked when I saw these tires originally because I know how rare and hard to find they are.)

It has the N10 dual catalytic converters but the exhaust pipe is a race exhaust straight pipe that exits out the passenger back. Definitely not factory. It's loud and a little crude but it does the trick quite nice.

This car grabs more attention than the Firehawks and even more than the 93 Cobra. It's unique and the kids just love to go to school in it. If you are serious, message me and I'll give you my phone number to discuss on the phone. I don't have to sell it but I want to. I don't drive and enjoy it as much and it deserves a new home. Prefer a cash deal but could be interested in partial trades (up or down) and I would really like a C5 Convertible 6 speed (under 65k miles). Please let me know if you need additional information or pictures. I also have two 88 Players Cars, an 89 Players Pace Car, 91 IMSA Camaro and some others. I will not list them for sale at this time but would seriously consider selling. Thanks! Chevrolet : Camaro 1LE Factory Built Race Car in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

please call me l have info about the meadows camaro. l worked with rick at legacy motorsports. l did body work on this vehicle. l have a picture of it l would like to share with you.810-923-1292
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by morelmushroom
please call me l have info about the meadows camaro. l worked with rick at legacy motorsports. l did body work on this vehicle. l have a picture of it l would like to share with you.810-923-1292
@t_towner

lets give this a try...
Old 03-27-2019, 06:12 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 92 & 91 Z28 1LEs, 87 IROC-Z, 90 ZR1
Engine: L98, LT5
Transmission: 700R4, 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45, 3.42, 3.73, 3.27

Originally Posted by Drew
@t_towner

lets give this a try...
He doesn't own it anymore, but I got the phone number to the current owner who has been in touch
Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Good deal!
Old 06-16-2023, 03:24 AM

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts
Car: Morrison Cook #98 Iroc
Engine: 302
Transmission: 5 speed

Old thread but I worked at Hardy until 89 and we ran a Firehawk car out of that dealership that was supposedly totalled after we got out of racing but in talking with my old boss when I was tracking history on the Morrison Cook car he was also telling me about a black 1LE car that been ordered right after I left in 89. The car we ordered was a white stripper but the 1LE's hadnt been released yet so we ordered the needed parts and converted it. Next time I talk to my old boss I'll have to ask him about the 2 cars mentioned in that old ad.